Empire Veteran
(FYI, long post ahead, and no tl;dr this time)

My last thread about what we know as the Temporal Lock Box now seemed to get people chatting, so I hope this one will do the same about the Rep System.

So...read the Ask Cryptic for this month, and of course it mentioned a bit about the Rep system. Here's a lot of the thoughts I've had on it so far:

1. We know it's gonna be a grind. Let's be honest here, we know it to be true, so there's no avoiding it.

2. From what I can sense, it'll be the 'one man's version' of fleet projects, including needing some item(s) you can only get by doing rep stuff. I just hope that it's REASONABLE requirements.

3. I'm rather worried about any DOFFs or dilithium it might need, because Fleet holdings are such a huge drain, and will only become more so in the future. The same thing applies for time, and not the time grinding out the item (probably a new currency) needed, but actually doing the little projects and the time they will take to actually complete.

4. I really do hope that Rep stuff doesn't totally throw Fleet items out the door, or at least I hope not requiring huge amounts of dil to buy. The last thing I think we want is another straight out money-drain. Time drains I can handle, it's a game, but ALWAYS wanting money (aka dil or Zen) from any little thing is just getting tired, old, and very very obvious anymore. The money squeeze is bad enough with Fleet stuff and Lockboxes, but I have a hunch PWE isn't going to ease up in the slightest. Not everything has to be Pay-to-Win, or heck, pay-anything-at-all. IT IS ok to let things be given for hard work in a game, that actually keeps people playing.

5. For Omega Fleet, how is this going to apply to people who've gotten their STF accolades, and gotten their Mk XII sets? Will they get a boost ahead (based on character of course) compared to most others, unlocking some stuff, but not putting them at the end of the line?

6. Will we be able to just eventually buy Mk XII pieces? Obviously I'm not asking them to be handed out, but the drop rate on prototype tech is so low, many still can't finish sets, heck, I've never once finished a Mk XII ground set on any character. This is my biggest worry, but if we can, anything else from this rep system won't look so bad if it means getting those elusive sets at long last.

7. On both new areas, I wonder what things they are going to bring to the table. Items, powers, new equipment, etc.

8. I am curious how rare these new items will be that are gonna be required in the new system, if it's stupidly-rare like prototype tech is now, then it won't really be any improvement at all to what we have now, just more stuff we hope could have a chance of dropping. If it's a guaranteed drop though, like how we get EDC's now, then that's ok.

9. I'll be interested to know how long it'll take to get from tier 0 to 'max' tier on reputation. Everyone will probably have to start at 0 for Romulans at least, but I still wonder. Probably not take too long for earlier stuff, like how many fleets rapidly built from a tier 0 to a tier 1 starbase the first few days that came out.

10. I hope there will be interesting things added in to get, especially for class-specific items. I wouldn't mind purposefully getting new stuff designed only to be used by sciences, or engineers for once.

11. We'll eventually get a level cap increase, Mr. Stahl straight out said that we would be in the far future. That does worry me that eventually all that we do now, will be for naught, although the same could be said for all the stuff that used to be 'top level gear'. But this is an MMO, I'm rather used to it by now.

12. So, all the STF items are gonna be changed, I wonder how so. Will they just be out-right converted into something new, will we have a vendor to change them into the new stuff (if so, start saving your salvage and EDC's now), or if they won't change at all (or change very little), but just into a new usage.

13. I keep on going back to STFs, mostly because a lot of this is still unknown, but I have a feeling that we might get forced into normal STFs, and have to 'unlock' elites with the new reputation system. Not that I mind that, it'd take a good chunk of people no time at all to rip through normals and unlock elites once again. (Not to mention filtering out a lot of bad pugs for at least a little while) I just hope it wouldn't take too long though either. Or we get stuck in Infected only, and have to unlock the other STFs, like in days long past.

14. At long last, we will have Into the Hive released. Regardless of anything else, it'll be a new STF to grind, but again, I wonder what it will bring to the table. It'll tie into the new rep system once more, which is ok. My biggest hope on it, is that I really want it to be a challenge, in space and in ground. Not just cheap tactics, like huge amounts of health, or one-shotting attacks for a whole team, but requiring honest tactics and effort by a well-made team. At the very least, I look forward to shooting the Borg Queen...a lot, for all those times Borg ships hit me with the Shield Neutralizer over...and over...and over...and OVER.

That's all I have really, based on what we know so far. This is just my own thoughts, and more of a discussion about the Rep system so...feel free to talk about it.

Captain
# 2
10-06-2012, 12:51 AM
I have one, and one hope only: That nothing in relation to it costs Zen.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Empire Veteran
# 3
10-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Amen there. That alone would at least make anything else tolerable with the new Rep system.

Career Officer
# 4
10-06-2012, 02:36 AM
Quote:

Sadly, I would say this is all but guaranteed. In fact I would expect the idea is to further dilute player's Dil resources between their Reps and the Starbases. It would certainly make sense, the only real question is whether Cryptic can get the right mix so everyone doesn't instantly hate it as too much nickel and dime-ing. Guess we'll see in a few weeks, this has to hit the PTS very soon.
Empire Veteran
# 5
10-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Quote:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...61#post5969361

Explictly saying no C-Store anything will be required (or rewarded). And unless I'm mistaken, that means no Zen-bought anything
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.

Last edited by trek21; 10-06-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Career Officer
# 6
10-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post

Explictly saying no C-Store anything will be required (or rewarded). And unless I'm mistaken, that means no Zen-bought anything
So its going to be straight up Dil then? makes sense, there needs to be a reason someone would trade DIl for Zen as I would expect that after Tier 3 or 4 most starbases' need for Dil should go down. Unless some incredibly desirable options open up at T5 that they haven't implemented/started on/told us yet.
Career Officer
# 7 Reputation
10-06-2012, 03:06 AM
Im hoping that once your reputation is high enough people will buy you drinks and invite you to sit beside them in the various bars located in STO. Heck, once you max out you would think they would cheer your name as soon as you walk into Quarks.
Captain
# 8
10-06-2012, 03:27 AM
Quote:

Well I am not buying it... Stormshade also said that C-Store Prices would NOT go up, but down when the game went F2P.

Average price on items compared to pre-season 5 have increased by 30%.

Untill I SEE that nothing costs Zen... I simply can't belive it...
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Career Officer
# 9
10-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Quote:

i've heard that song and dance before.

anyone remember them saying the fleet ships will be cheaper then the cstore ships?

-raises hand- I DO!

also, if there is any currency releated to this that needs to be earned. there had better be a way to earn it through pvp as well as any pve. im sick of the starbase **** that doesnt have any way to earn fleet marks via pvp.

thats complete and utter BS
Career Officer
# 10
10-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Personally, I hope that the system is built to be expandable, and that future systems can easily latch onto it in an intelligent manner.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.