Captain
This thread is for the Speculation and Discussion of the upcoming Vesta Class.

Personally, I'm hoping for a Science Vessel, even with cannons. It fits the timeline of when the ship was created, the Borg were invading again, but they were not going to assimilate Earth. This time, they wanted to destroy it.

What I am NOT hoping for, even actually dreading, is if Cryptic decides to make it into YET another cruiser. We have enough Cruisers. There is only a few C-Store Science ships, and only ONE is an actual Full Science Ship, while the others are Hybrid "Sci-Cruisers".
Career Officer
# 2
10-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Any excuse to repeat myself.

Ahem.

Commander Science
Lt. Cmdr Tactical
Lieutenant Engineering
Lieutenant Universal
Ensign Science

3/3 weapons

3 device slots

4 Science / 3 Tactical / 2 (3?) Engineering console slots

1.3 shield modifier

8 or degree per second turn rate

27000 hull

Able to mount Dual Cannons, but not Dual Heavy Cannons

I stuck her with the Excelsior's turn rate because I felt it was best. Slow enough to make her feel like a Cruiser, fast enough to not totally lose out on those dual cannons. In pretty much every other way she's a standard Science ship.

I left the potential for a third Engineering console so that she could match up with the Oddy and Fleet ships, but I'm not sure about that call.
Empire Veteran
# 3
10-06-2012, 12:25 AM
I think whatever happens, might tick off a lot of people regardless of anything else. I know some people will not like it no matter what, but I'm just wondering if it'll be ticking out a LOT of people.

IF, and I repeat, IF it is a cruiser, hopefully it'll wield cannons of course. Regardless of anything else, the BOFF layout would be good as:

Cmdr Engineer
Lt. Cmdr Science
Lt. Tac or Universal
Lt. Engineer or Universal (if the other Lt. is a tac)
Ensign Engineer or (more preferably) Sci, or again, universal

I do hope it isn't a cruiser. I've been wanting a cruiser (that isn't an Odyssey) to fill out the sci-heavy cruiser we're missing, but I wouldn't wanna give up the Vesta just to take that role.

If it is a Sci ship, it'd be interesting if it changed things up in the weapons department, like having a 4/2 set-up, or even having 7 weapons possibly. Or having a 4 sci, 4 engineering, 1 tactical console, or switching the tac and engineering console slots, to make it have some teeth, at the cost of few engineering slots. I mean, Sensor Analysis, 4 tac slots, Sensor Scan, plus possibly cannons would really make things interesting.

Ensign
# 4
10-06-2012, 02:37 AM
Vesta = Starcruiser spec

4 ing
3 science
2 tac
Career Officer
# 5
10-06-2012, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
I think whatever happens, might tick off a lot of people regardless of anything else. I know some people will not like it no matter what, but I'm just wondering if it'll be ticking out a LOT of people.

IF, and I repeat, IF it is a cruiser, hopefully it'll wield cannons of course. Regardless of anything else, the BOFF layout would be good as:

Cmdr Engineer
Lt. Cmdr Science
Lt. Tac or Universal
Lt. Engineer or Universal (if the other Lt. is a tac)
Ensign Engineer or (more preferably) Sci, or again, universal

I do hope it isn't a cruiser. I've been wanting a cruiser (that isn't an Odyssey) to fill out the sci-heavy cruiser we're missing, but I wouldn't wanna give up the Vesta just to take that role.

If it is a Sci ship, it'd be interesting if it changed things up in the weapons department, like having a 4/2 set-up, or even having 7 weapons possibly. Or having a 4 sci, 4 engineering, 1 tactical console, or switching the tac and engineering console slots, to make it have some teeth, at the cost of few engineering slots. I mean, Sensor Analysis, 4 tac slots, Sensor Scan, plus possibly cannons would really make things interesting.
it would make it interesting, yet extrodinarily unbalanced. if it is a sci ship, it will prob. have 3 weapons slots. there is a reason they do that and that is to keep it balanced. with half the goodies a sci has at his/her disposal, they would be unmatched. 4 weapons in the front is def. out of the ?. since most of the big boy sci abilities need you facing the target,(which said abilities are the reason sci vessels have a 3/3 loadout lol) it would be more realistic to see a 2/4 set up..

im pretty sure al already said it was gonna be sci (or very sci in nature).

i for one hope its a cruiser, cause then it will be more usefull and well rounded for everyone (tac sci and eng) but make it a cruiser with a loadout like this.

cmdr univ.
ltcmdr tac
lt eng.
lt univ.
ens sci

4/4 weapons.
less than 1 shield modifier
all the perks a cruiser generally gets.
2 eng slot.
3sci.
3 tac.
(leaving it open for a fleet upgrade in say t6 or 7 starbase projects)
38k hull.
ability to mount dual canons (non heavy)
4 device slots.

and who knows what the univ. consol that would come with it would be.

that could make it sci capable, but not sci resiliant. (as in no endless shields or endless amounts of aux power). thus making you have to think, and work at a build.

in my eyes, making a sci ship that can mount dual cannons will never be able to be balanced (unless you make a 2/3 or maybe 2/4 weapons loadout. the proc chances alone are rediculous (thus the point of reg. duals). too much firepower, with sci abilities coupled with them is to op. thus why they chose to do a 3/3 (they didnt do it to punish sci characters lol).

if this ship is built into a sci vessel, it is in my opinion that it will not live up to what it was intended to be. (yes it had sci abilities in the book, but it also had a kick a** and take names rep.

however, i could care less what they do with the ship cause i personally dont like it lol.. however, i dont want it to come out and be too op. nothing worse then the game being unblanced by one pay to win ship...
Republic Veteran
# 6
10-06-2012, 05:46 AM
it's been said several times by devs that its going to be a sci ship that can mount cannons.

so my guess is it'll have at least a lt com tac officer, maybe the ensign too. eng will likely be lt. with the other lt and the com slots being sci, since it still is a sci ship. though it'd be nice if there was a universal BO slot.

weapons most likely 3/3.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-06-2012, 05:49 AM
I speculate it will be a space ship.
Captain
# 8
10-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by issueman1 View Post
I speculate it will be a space ship.
Clearly, sir, you are a frothing, raving madman suggesting such.
Republic Veteran
# 9
10-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
it's been said several times by devs that its going to be a sci ship that can mount cannons.

so my guess is it'll have at least a lt com tac officer, maybe the ensign too. eng will likely be lt. with the other lt and the com slots being sci, since it still is a sci ship. though it'd be nice if there was a universal BO slot.

weapons most likely 3/3.
Where is it definitive? People keep saying it will be a science ship but the last words I heard on it are it will likely be...but nothing is set in stone.

The words were umm around...I think it will be a science ship unless someone can convince me otherwise.

" I think its going to be a science ship and I think thats the way we are going to go. "
Direct quote from priority one.
Rihannsu
# 10
10-06-2012, 07:47 AM
You want another bloody cruiser?

At this point you be stepping onto someone toes, with the Galaxy, Galaxy-X, Odyssey, Star, Assault, Assault Refit and Excelsior we are filled with Cruisers to filled ANY rank and were you would put the Vesta?

If its a Tactical it means it would have the BO layout of either the Assault Cruiser or the Excelsior, if its a Cruiser Science Hybrid then why the hell anyone would pick it up when the Odyssey Science can do the same on Layout, if we put canons (and it will have cannons) and its have a turn Rate 6 you might as well taken then off because its not going to hit anything unless its a "wide angle" Dual Cannon, not to say without a Lt. Cmdr Tactical the ship is handicapped because you either support Cannons or Beams, you cannot really do both.

I want the Kar'Fi BOFF layout, hell I dont mind getting the entire Kar'Fi layout and just trade the hangars for SA and SST, its a good Tactical/Science Hybrid.