Ensign
# 1 Advanced Foundry Help
10-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Alright, so scoured the videos and walkthroughs I could find and either this doesn't exist or I just can't seem to search the right key phrase.

So, trying to have a few recurring locations that I want to have be a little more interesting and explorable. Part of that is that I want to make interactive people and objects that are not specifically part of the mission. Specifically, doors. I have a city that I'd like characters to be able to use doors to go up onto some of the scenic balconies (eventually putting NPCs for parts of the story up there when I get this working), also want to build some floating 'interiors' to the buildings beneath the land base so people can go inside. So, in order to do this I need to be able to do a couple things.

1. Make a triggerable object that A) when activated, teleports the user to another portion of the map, and B) can be interacted with multiple times. I know about hiding an object behind or underneath what I want to be interactive, but don't know how to make it interactive without it being a quest objective.

2. Have NPCs that will hold a dialogue with you whenever you talk to them, regardless of where in the map's mission you happen to be.
2-b. Also would be nice if I can make them context sensitive without being quest objectives.

If anyone can either let me know how to do this or point me to the tutorial I missed that explains it, I'd be grateful.
Community Moderator
# 2
10-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Transwarped thread to the Foundry Discussion forum.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
# 3
10-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Well, being able to access balconies is basically impossible unless you make a custom building. The standard buildings have no doors. If you make the building from scratch using the building blocks, walls (from detail objects) then you can do this. One trick is to graft a custom building onto a large pre-made building, to make it look like it's one large building, but where you only have access to part of it.

As far as the NPCs, what you need to do is set default text. That way they can be interacted with at any time. In order to make them context sensitive you need to edit what dialogue buttons are available depending on the mission situation.

Down at the bottom of the screen, you'll be able to select each button in the dialogue editor, and then to the right of it, you'll see a window where you can set triggers like with other objects. If you don't see it, you may need to resize the center window (sometimes if you have a really long text string, it will not show the trigger settings with normal window size).

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 10-06-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Career Officer
# 4
10-06-2012, 05:18 PM
by detail text nagorak means default.

As for teleporting there is this trick: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=379741

It's done by using a glitch in the game so I wouldn't recommend using it. It's also only a 1 shot deal. You cannot have an "interact with component" repeatable.
Career Officer
# 5
10-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah, sorry, I meant default text. Must have gotten it mixed up since I was talking about detail objects, etc. I edited my original reply to fix it.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Ensign
# 6 Aww, that's disappointing
10-07-2012, 12:07 AM
I thought there had to be a way I was missing. I mean, the turbolift thing can take you to different parts of a map, right? I was just hoping to do that with another object. I mean, there's even prefab maps with different isolated sections of map such as the ship interiors, many of which have engineering and crew deck on the same map, just in different corners, so i figured there has to be a way to put in a 'travel between' button.

And the buildings do have doors, they're just not single-targetable objects. so you take a small object (I like the Horta Egg) and put it inside the structure of the building by the door you want triggerable, and make the object what you actually interact with.

My logic process was:

1. Place Horta Egg behind ground door, name it ground door
2. Place Location Marker in front of the balcony door on the terrace, name scenic view
3. Add possibly mythical script that, on interacting with the "ground door", the player is moved to the "scenic view" spot. (this is the part I'm trying to track down, that and making it possible to activate the horta egg more than once).

You would then do the reverse to make it so you could 'use' the balcony door to go back to the ground.

PS - thanks for the NPC bit, I got all caught up in doing things the elaborate way that I forgot basic chat. Though that means I'll have to go back to making a few of the interactive NPCs contacts instead of friendly troop units with objects hidden nearby.

Last edited by malivar; 10-07-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
10-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Hi Malivar,

I don't know if you know this but the software Cryptic uses to make missions is different from the Foundry that we use. In their mission creator they have the built in ability to teleport people around. So for those pre-made maps with isolated sections, Cryptic would be able to let you bounce between them but we have no such built in mechanism.

Pendra80 did discover a glitch where you could get teleported to a respawn point. However like I said before, it's based on using a glitch so I wouldn't recommend using it.
Ensign
# 8
10-08-2012, 03:52 AM
Okay, so start with thanks for the feedback. I have another question, and since the thread title is still applicable, figured I would put it in here.

I was just about to post my mission and was double checking things. Somehow absolutely every object in one of my cities has suddenly become interactive, along with half the wandering npcs. They have random actions and dialogs from elsewhere in the same map, and some even from other maps. If I try to delete the offending objects, the foundry tries to delete my dialogs that are linked to it. Any advice on how to fix this? I'm about to lose hours and hours of work because of this glitch and I'm just. . .lost on how it happened or how to fix it.
Rihannsu
# 9
10-08-2012, 07:24 AM
look at the tiems one by one and remove the dialog?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Ensign
# 10
10-08-2012, 07:58 AM
they don't show dialog when I'm in the edit screen, not all of them. there are a couple things that have dialog they shouldn't, but most are just like I left them. and when I try to remove the dialog checkbox from those that have one, it say doing that will auto-delete the dialog.