Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Commander
# 21
10-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post

...I have also talked to people who are frustrated over the lack of resources provided by the Foundry only to have their creations be the sole thing their employment is based on. "Well, your Foundry missions are poor." Well, would you expect Picaso to paint masterpieces with only a Sharpie?
just a Sahrpie? LOL. nope that would be just silly. http://www.picasso-art.com/picasso_don_quixote.html

I bet he blamed others for his failings too.
Republic Veteran
# 22
10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Again, I want to reiterate I harbor no ill will toward Cryptic or their HR department. If what John told me was true and it really did come down between a guy with ten years of experience and myself, I'd pick the other guy too.

This is merely an academic discussion that just happened to borne of my frustration. I'm not singling out Cryptic, but if I was writing about Adtran most of you wouldn't care or know who I'm talking about.

In a Roddenberry "perfect" world, economic concerns could be cast aside and Cryptic could look for the most talented or spend time working on those with potential. As it is, it is not.

And while I might disagree with the Taco that location is a specious argument, I do understand there are other factors involving a business location beyond direct cost. If you are a defense contractor, it does no good to avoid Washington DC. So I understand there are intangibles we cannot see.

I know some of my positions are purely wishful thinking. I'm no more deluded to think Cryptic would move to Orlando than they would move to the open warehouse down the street from me in New Market, Alabama.

I just want to ensure we, as a society, are not overlooking talented people based solely on their documented education. I could have been the best hire Cryptic ever had or I could have been an utter disaster. We will never know. It is up to Cryptic to determine which likelihood is possible.

Look, in the end I have come to terms that I am where I need to be for now. Just as a military needs a General to rally the troops to lead them into battle, sometimes all the military needs is a guy to clean up after the troops have left to head into battle. I may have a greater impact here than at Cryptic and just can't see how yet.

Life is funny that way.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.

Last edited by commadorebob; 10-08-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 23
10-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Life is funny that way.
I've learned that you can't treat every situation as a life-and-death matter because you'll die a lot of times. Write that down.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Republic Veteran
# 24
10-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarkirian View Post
I've learned that you can't treat every situation as a life-and-death matter because you'll die a lot of times. Write that down.
In blood?
Career Officer
# 25
10-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Well, hey.

I think having roots is a disadvantage in any field.

I'd up and go tomorrow for the right job.

I appreciate it's hard with kids and a mortgage but the flip side is that you'd be out more if you moved for a job and it went belly up, so it's always wise to be cautious when people rely on you.

Personally, it's just me which makes it easier to look at drastic moves.
Empire Veteran
# 26
10-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Quote:
In blood?
Whatever floats your casket.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Republic Veteran
# 27
10-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Well, hey.

I think having roots is a disadvantage in any field.

I'd up and go tomorrow for the right job.

I appreciate it's hard with kids and a mortgage but the flip side is that you'd be out more if you moved for a job and it went belly up, so it's always wise to be cautious when people rely on you.

Personally, it's just me which makes it easier to look at drastic moves.
I agree. In the early days of the recession I remember listen to a radio host talk to a guy who couldn't find a job where he lives. The radio host asked simply, "why not move?" The caller then gave a litany of reasons why he couldn't and the host simply responded, "some times the only limitations we have are those we put upon ourselves."

If I told you the concerns surrounding possibly moving my family to California were miniscule, I'd be lying. My wife was born in Birmingham and has lived her entire life in this state. Even though I'm a little more willing to take the jump due to my Army experience, it was an emotional decision to consider a job with Cryptic.

But it was one we decided we would take if given the chance.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 28
10-08-2012, 03:30 PM
As I said before, the games job market is flooded (has been for years). That's great for us who be hiring, because we get 10 applications for every opening. It's cruddy for you applicants, because when it comes down to it, we have to make a judgement call, and hire one of those 10 people. That means 9 of you (who are probably perfectly capable, and could potentially do great work) get the shaft. There's not much to say that will make that hurt any less. It just is.

If it helps, as I mentioned before, those "experienced" people, don't always work out. So, there may be another opening soon, and there's nothing wrong with reapplying.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 29
10-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
As I said before, the games job market is flooded (has been for years). That's great for us who be hiring, because we get 10 applications for every opening. It's cruddy for you applicants, because when it comes down to it, we have to make a judgement call, and hire one of those 10 people. That means 9 of you (who are probably perfectly capable, and could potentially do great work) get the shaft. There's not much to say that will make that hurt any less. It just is.

If it helps, as I mentioned before, those "experienced" people, don't always work out. So, there may be another opening soon, and there's nothing wrong with reapplying.
The upside is, there's a shift to models that seem to be higher overhead even if total budgets are smaller, so I'd say there are more jobs per dollar spent and longer term jobs .

Like I say, there's risk in taking a job too and if an employer is iffy enough on my prospects to pass, I'd rather they do that before I move to San Francisco and be committed as I am before they issue an offer.
Republic Veteran
# 30
10-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post

True.

In anycase, I did enjoy my trip to Cryptic for the on-site interview. It is an experience I'll never forget and I hope to make the trip again some day.