Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Career Officer
# 31
10-08-2012, 04:25 PM
So, Bob, did you get some more word from John Ptucha recently? Just curious what prompted all this.

I mean, I eventually blabbed about my experiences with DC Comics but only after I was sure they'd passed on me and I moved on from that goal.
Republic Veteran
# 32
10-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
So, Bob, did you get some more word from John Ptucha recently? Just curious what prompted all this.

I mean, I eventually blabbed about my experiences with DC Comics but only after I was sure they'd passed on me and I moved on from that goal.
Oh, no. John emailed me their decision in March (I think). That guest blog I did was months after Cryptic decided to "persue other options." I moved on long ago. And while there is a sense of frustration in my post (and maybe a much overdue rant), I posted this for discussion, not to excoriate Cryptic over their handling of me, but to ensure that we are getting the most bang for our buck.

What prompted this was a letter Mike Rowe wrote to Mitt Romney. While I'll pass on the political aspects of the letter, something he said in it touched me. (emphasis mine)
Quote:
Today, we can see the consequences of this disconnect in any number of areas, but none is more obvious than the growing skills gap. Even as unemployment remains sky high, a whole category of vital occupations has fallen out of favor, and companies struggle to find workers with the necessary skills. The causes seem clear. We have embraced a ridiculously narrow view of education. Any kind of training or study that does not come with a four-year degree is now deemed "alternative." Many viable careers once aspired to are now seen as "vocational consolation prizes," and many of the jobs this current administration has tried to "create" over the last four years are the same jobs that parents and teachers actively discourage kids from pursuing. (I always thought there was something ill-fated about the promise of three million "shovel ready jobs" made to a society that no longer encourages people to pick up a shovel.)
While this is discussing skill-type jobs, this can be applied to so many other sectors. As this is a gaming site, I figured I discuss my experience within this industry. How many hard working and talanted people are being overlooked because of our narrow view of education?

As I said in the OP, Genesis Engine is not taught at any university so even if you had a gaming degree there would be a level of on-the-job training to go with it. EA created Glassbox specifically for their games, so there is no college class you can take to learn it.

So my point was this: how many talented people are we passing up over their lack of an "official" education that won't matter once they are hired anyway?

In other words, this is just part of my ongoing battle to redefine what education should be.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.

Last edited by commadorebob; 10-08-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Career Officer
# 33
10-08-2012, 05:10 PM
The flip side of that is that it doesn't do higher education any favors either to retool research institutions into vocational schools.

I think the problem isn't with jobs that are a consolation prize. The problem is that colleges are under pressure to show how they create practical job skills. That isn't what a bachelor's degree is for.
Republic Veteran
# 34
10-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
The flip side of that is that it doesn't do higher education any favors either to retool research institutions into vocational schools.

I think the problem isn't with jobs that are a consolation prize. The problem is that colleges are under pressure to show how they create practical job skills. That isn't what a bachelor's degree is for.
Which is why I feel the whole of education should be retooled, from high school on up.

Go to any engineering company and give a Western Civ test to the engineers and most would probably fail it. They aren't history buff, they are tech nerds. Why should they waste their money on history classes if their single goal in life is to build computers?

Colleges are a model of wasted time and money. My father still likes to joke about me failing a Bowling class I took as an elective. I never came close to failing but it is only in recent years I realize his point: why the hell was I taking a bowling class?

Imagine you are ready to cross the stage at a graduation ceremony but the counselor pulls you aside and says, "sorry, but you need one more elective before you can contribute your massive engineering skills to the world. You could take bowling." So instead of diving into and Apple or a Microsoft, your entire future depends on you hitting a 175 in ten frames on the exam.

Another example is I was required to take a class on Microsoft Excel last year for college. There was no test I could take to skip it, I had to take it. Now understand I have been using Excel since 1997. I could have taught the class. But here I was spending my money on a class that was required for graduation that I had no business taking.

I've become dispirited when it comes to college but as Mike Rowe says there is a stigma in this society that if you don't have a college degree you are less of a worker. And since we as a society feel non degree jobs are vocational consolation prizes, are employers using the same standard when it comes to hiring workers?

Before you are allowed to go work on the iPhone 6, you have to slip on your bowling shoes?
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Captain
# 35
10-08-2012, 08:30 PM
To be honest, Cryptic needs to hire more people, period. They have not enough staff to finish all their projects already, that alone should've been the trigger to just get more people with any vague interest in.

If it were otherwise, the OP would not have suffered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Survivor of Romulus
# 36
10-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
Which is why I feel the whole of education should be retooled, from high school on up.

Go to any engineering company and give a Western Civ test to the engineers and most would probably fail it. They aren't history buff, they are tech nerds. Why should they waste their money on history classes if their single goal in life is to build computers?

Colleges are a model of wasted time and money. My father still likes to joke about me failing a Bowling class I took as an elective. I never came close to failing but it is only in recent years I realize his point: why the hell was I taking a bowling class?

Imagine you are ready to cross the stage at a graduation ceremony but the counselor pulls you aside and says, "sorry, but you need one more elective before you can contribute your massive engineering skills to the world. You could take bowling." So instead of diving into and Apple or a Microsoft, your entire future depends on you hitting a 175 in ten frames on the exam.

Another example is I was required to take a class on Microsoft Excel last year for college. There was no test I could take to skip it, I had to take it. Now understand I have been using Excel since 1997. I could have taught the class. But here I was spending my money on a class that was required for graduation that I had no business taking.

I've become dispirited when it comes to college but as Mike Rowe says there is a stigma in this society that if you don't have a college degree you are less of a worker. And since we as a society feel non degree jobs are vocational consolation prizes, are employers using the same standard when it comes to hiring workers?

Before you are allowed to go work on the iPhone 6, you have to slip on your bowling shoes?
Having recently dropped out of college (after 7 years), I can empathize. For the most part, college felt like a waste of time and money. I was there because I was pressured to be there; in high school it was always "What are your plans for college?" and "Where are you going to school when you graduate?" It was never about what I was passionate about and never about what I needed or was best for me. So I ended up collecting debt in a self-finding experiment that didn't pan out.

Ultimately I'm a fool because the school got my money and I didn't get a degree (though I'm not sure what help a BA in Art History would have done for someone who doesn't want to spend time in a classroom or museum).

But think about it: 7 years of liberal arts across all ranges of disciplines--from acting to anthropology--and I'm no more competitive than someone with a fresh 4-year degree stumbling out of their graduation party. Why is that? Does the paper really mean that much?

I'm terrified about applying to game design schools and I'm mortified by the requirements developing houses are requiring. Even game testing--an entry-level position--requires years in the industry or titles shipped at most of the developers I've researched.

I'm passionate about gaming; I eat, sleep, and breathe games--as a gamer, sure, but primarily as an intellectual. Games can change the world. The potential here is mind-boggling. I want to get in on that. I want to create and inspire people. I want to give people a place to go to, to learn about, and play in.

It's a shame I can't do that (right now) because I don't have 'experience.'