Empire Veteran
# 1 Fleet Elite Ground Gear
10-08-2012, 12:18 AM
So, my fleet unlocked the final piece of Fleet Elite ground gear today, personal shields. I'm just gonna give some basic info on each, and my thoughts on them. Mostly it's an info thing, so people can know what to expect.

Elite Personal Shields:

Modifiers: CapX2, one other modifier of your choice, and Adapt.

New Modifier Info: The Adapt, isn't like the Borg adaptation on the ground, but much more like the Aegis set's Reactive Shielding. It has a stacking bonus up to 10 times (and for multiple damage types if applicable), adding shield resistance against the damage type.

Thoughts: The Adapt modifier is rather nice, I won't deny, the problem with it, is that you lose shields SO quickly it doesn't matter unless you are using lots of shield heals (MACO ground set, Shield heal items, Engineering shield heals, and so on). Even so, it's not bad, just only really get usage from it if you have shields in the first place.

Elite Ground Armor:

Modifiers: ResAll, one other modifier of your choice, and Nanite, plus the base stats of the armor you choose.

New Modifier Info: Nanite acts much like the Nanite Health Monitor of Science captains, but activates at a lower health percentage, providing a large, guaranteed health heal. You can also see a visible flag/icon under your health bar that says 'Nanite' (with something else I can't remember), and I believe it either disappears, or starts a cooldown under the icon when the effect is activated. Either way, it takes 3 minutes before it can happen again.

Thoughts: Nanite is better than Adapt in my opinion, because it's also guaranteed, and can save you in a pinch with nothing else to turn to. The biggest problem is more the long cooldown, since 3 minutes is quite awhile to wait. Although it does make sense of course why it would be that way.

Elite Ground Weapons:

Modifiers: DmgX2, one modifier of your choice, and either SHeal (for phasers), Disrupt (for Disruptors), plus the normal procs of each weapon.

New Modifier Info: SHeal has a chance to heal some shields every time you successfully hit an enemy. Disrupt has a good chance to vaporize an enemy low on health.

Thoughts: The phaser ones seem to focus more on multi-targetting/AoE, allowing for multiple chances at the shield heal, which can be useful with the Adapt of the elite shields. Disruptors are pretty much all one-targetting weapons, and while the chance is greater, the 'low health' needed to make it happen is quite vague, and rather annoying to figure out how effective it is; however, it is nice when it kills a rather strong enemy. I've seen it vaporize the Gorn boss on Deferi.

I will say that the Phasers tend to be more useful on tacs, and Disruptors on engineers and science characters, although that's not a rule at all, just that being able to insta-kill an enemy can be useful for the characters who can't deal as much damage with their normal weapons.

Overall Thoughts: I was annoyed at first at the limited choice of weapons and armor, but when I calmed down a bit and thought about it, it make a lot of sense.

They are meant to be roughly on-par with the Mk XII Stf ground sets, and in that regard, they did succeed. Now of course, there's no set-bonuses or anything, but that's part of the trade-off at being able to buy them outright compared to getting a drop, at least IMO.

The Advanced Gear is like Borg Standard Issue, good, but not top of the line. Elite Gear is like the Mk XII sets, the best of the best, but limited in the choices you have. Advanced Gear is rather generic, and won't really keep you wanting it forever, but can still supplement a set if you are using one as a secondary weapon. Elite Gear is still meant to be used more together (again, the exception being if you use a weapon to supplement your Stf set).

The weakest point probably again has to be the shields, because while the Adapt is nice, again, you just lose them so fast no matter what you are doing; in PvE the enemies hit so hard it doesn't matter, and in PvP there's a heap of ways, including straight-out damage, to get rid of shields anyways.

Finishing up: I do think that they did well though. They kept it limited, true, but still useful and effective. It's by no means perfect, but if you are wanting high-end gear without wanting to chance the elite ground Stfs for prototype tech, then this stuff is great as a 2nd choice.

Career Officer
# 2
10-08-2012, 12:34 AM
The only grip I have, is that as "Elite" gear, they should have some in a full set with set powers and visuals like the stf gear. By a devs own admission, these items are of the very best in Fed and KDF technology, which should put them above stf gear.
The very least they should come with, is a full suit with helmet like the stf elite gear...
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
10-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Thanks for posting this. My fleet is about 4 days from starting the T3 Fabricator upgrade, but a ways farther out from T3 Science.

The Elite bonuses are nice, but would be nicer if they could be manually activated with a 3 min cool down. I understand that Cryptic didn't want to do this so as not to diminish the value of the STF sets. The funny thing is, when I read posts like these, it seems that the STF crowd is the group most in favor of seeing the bonuses bumped up for Elite ground gear.
Empire Veteran
# 4
10-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenzedd View Post
The only grip I have, is that as "Elite" gear, they should have some in a full set with set powers and visuals like the stf gear. By a devs own admission, these items are of the very best in Fed and KDF technology, which should put them above stf gear.
The very least they should come with, is a full suit with helmet like the stf elite gear...
Well, that might be so, but it would probably be extremely difficult to code in all the different possible variations people might have. So they'd probably rather stick to only having 3 items in a set and no other choices to have these 'fleet sets'. At which point, people would be complaining for the lack of any choices whatsoever, and would rather go to the STF gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarde01 View Post
Thanks for posting this. My fleet is about 4 days from starting the T3 Fabricator upgrade, but a ways farther out from T3 Science.

The Elite bonuses are nice, but would be nicer if they could be manually activated with a 3 min cool down. I understand that Cryptic didn't want to do this so as not to diminish the value of the STF sets. The funny thing is, when I read posts like these, it seems that the STF crowd is the group most in favor of seeing the bonuses bumped up for Elite ground gear.
No problem, glad to give out the info and such for everybody who wants to read it, whether they can buy it yet or not. (Oh yes, if you want to, you can go to other fleet's bases and buy elite ground gear from their base, and it uses your provisions.)

Honestly, I don't think giving the Nanite thing a pressable activation ruins anything. If they're so worried, let it stay at the 50% health requirement, although I could understand how it might be a little abused with Tactical Initiative. Still, I'd rather have the heal happen when I am fighting say...Becky at the end of Infected, rather than a random Tactical Drone who got a lucky critical right before we fight her.

Well, it does make an excellent alternative to Elite STF ground sets. By no means do I intend at all to earn full Mk XII sets for all of my toons. One Fed is gonna eventually get full MACO, and one KDF is gonna get full Honor Guard (and one of them somewhere will get full Omega Force). Aside from that, no dice on getting it for everyone else.

Heck, Advanced Gear alone is a good alternative if you don't really care about being Borg-specific.

Captain
# 5
10-08-2012, 06:28 AM
No new skins for fleet gear and weapons made me laugh

Also fleet armor is royally gay - since it's not on par with maco or omega:

If I equip fleet shield or armor I lose my current STF abilities but perhaps most importantly fast remodulation.
So while you do get more dps, you also get less time where you are shooting.

Though for me personally there is nothing I'd give up my predator-stealth-camo for either.

But hey sure a secondary fleet weapon why not, just makes very little sense to spend 1 million dilithium for +3 dps and an extra heal every 3 minutes
And I don't know how many stf and fleet missions you have to grind for a fleet weapon but it's more than 5 count me out
Career Officer
# 6
10-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Elite fleet ground weapons do have new/unique skins.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
10-08-2012, 11:26 PM
How much are elite gear and weapons? Do you just buy them or do you have to work for it?
Career Officer
# 8
10-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfresh11 View Post
How much are elite gear and weapons? Do you just buy them or do you have to work for it?
Same as all Fleet gear: Provisions.

No exceptions.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
10-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matridunadan1 View Post
Same as all Fleet gear: Provisions.

No exceptions.
Thanks for answering my question. I was really curios.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
10-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Ok i get the heal but is the chanse of the shield heal worth giving up the 3 extra dps points you know ya getting every shot, I like heals but i allways want more power lol any thoughts.