Lt. Commander
So I've been on a pretty hard sci-fi trip lately, I've watched all the "mainstream" sci-fi movies (star trek, star wars, etc) and I've just finished Firefly and Serenity. I kept hearing people praise that show, like an underground community, so I decided to give it a chance and I loved it. I was somewhat depressed after watching series, not in a bad way, on the contrary I was mostly depressed that it didn't last longer and it didn't get a film series like most successful sci-fi series.

Anyways, I'm looking to watch more specific type of sci-fi, mostly space adventures with either the same type of grit as the original Star Wars and Firefly. I love Star Trek but I've watched TNG, DS9, and Voyager over the summer so I'm not looking to something as thought provoking as Trek, but something with a little more focus on characters and adventure.

I hope that makes sense and I look forward to seeing what kind of suggestions people can come up with.
Captain
# 2
10-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Red Dwarf has a nice sense of adventure and characters if you enjoy british humour.

(It's a very big if......)
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Empire Veteran
# 3
10-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff484 View Post
So I've been on a pretty hard sci-fi trip lately, I've watched all the "mainstream" sci-fi movies (star trek, star wars, etc) and I've just finished Firefly and Serenity. I kept hearing people praise that show, like an underground community, so I decided to give it a chance and I loved it. I was somewhat depressed after watching series, not in a bad way, on the contrary I was mostly depressed that it didn't last longer and it didn't get a film series like most successful sci-fi series.

Anyways, I'm looking to watch more specific type of sci-fi, mostly space adventures with either the same type of grit as the original Star Wars and Firefly. I love Star Trek but I've watched TNG, DS9, and Voyager over the summer so I'm not looking to something as thought provoking as Trek, but something with a little more focus on characters and adventure.

I hope that makes sense and I look forward to seeing what kind of suggestions people can come up with.
Have you seen Battlestar Galactica? original and/or the remake?
Have you seen Stargate SG-1? Atalantis? Universe?
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Lieutenant
# 4
10-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Space: Above and Beyond (A show that was as great as Firefly, and unfortunately suffered the same fate.)
Doctor Who
Babylon 5
The Presidential Campaign (Wait. That's a horror movie. Never mind.)
The Wing Commander animated series
Cowboy Bebop
Space Battleship Yamato
and finally
Super Dimension Fortress Macross (Or Robotech, if that's all you can find. And Robotech is available on Hulu Basic.)
Rihannsu
# 5
10-09-2012, 12:01 AM
New battlestar galactica is you like gritty
babylon 5 if you like epic
farscape is you like a bit quirky
lost if you like mystery (not true sci-fi but it has certain fantastical elements to it)
fringe if you like x-files with a bit more humour
stargate sg1 (then atlantis and universe) if you like light hearted adventure.

or all of them if you're like me.

keep in mind that not everyone starts brilliantly (think tng season 1) so some of them you have to stick through a certain level of dodgy stuff but every one of these series is very enjoyable.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Lt. Commander
Captain
# 7
10-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Blake's 7, if you don't let the shoestring budget and sometimes ropey special effects put you off it's a good one to go with for it's 4 series, and it's ending is a cult classic moment
__________________________________________________ __
For those of you who have complimented me on my Avatar, I'm wondering what you're talking about. I don't have one.

SILENCE WILL FALL....................Why the hell did I just say that
Captain
# 8
10-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Sea Quest! I'm surprised someone else knows about it.

[Psycho-pass], an anime that is on this season, is pretty neat as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Captain
# 9
10-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
Sea Quest! I'm surprised someone else knows about it.

[Psycho-pass], an anime that is on this season, is pretty neat as well.
I'd almost forgotten about it until now
__________________________________________________ __
For those of you who have complimented me on my Avatar, I'm wondering what you're talking about. I don't have one.

SILENCE WILL FALL....................Why the hell did I just say that
Captain
# 10
10-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthyme467989 View Post
I'd almost forgotten about it until now
Yeah, had to google for it to refresh my memory, but the first thing I saw was this giant squid submarine and I was thinking, I thot it was a shark-shape!

Nostalgia goggles make everything seem more awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.