Commander
# 1 About Torpedos
10-25-2012, 12:02 AM
So I have a question. What is everyones favorite torpedo and why?

Secondly, anyone know why the Chroniton Torps and Transphasic Torps do not do any more damage then they currently do?
Republic Veteran
# 2
10-25-2012, 12:06 AM
well, transphasic torps do more damage when shields are up than other torps, and chroniton torps have a chance to slow ships down for a while which means less defense and thus a higher chance to hit them for more damage.

those are the main reasons these two torps dont do more damage than say quantum torps.

I use transphasics mostly. though on my mobius destroyer I use Chronitons since i got the 3 piece temporal set.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Captain
# 3
10-25-2012, 12:09 AM
I like double photons, I'm classic and I like pew pew pew.
Empire Veteran
# 4
10-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Your second question first: Chronitons and Transphasics do less damage because of their effects. Transphasics because of their heavier shield penetration, and Chronitons because they can slow enemies down. In turn, Photons recharge more quickly, and deal decent damage, while Quantums deal heavier damage and recharge a little more slowly.

And to answer your question: Tricobalts.

Sure you can shoot them down, but boy can they hurt.

Career Officer
# 5
10-25-2012, 12:51 AM
My favorite projectile is the Tricobalt.

Nothing like BIG explosions.
Empire Veteran
# 6
10-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
My favorite projectile is the Tricobalt.

Nothing like BIG explosions.
I find it more of a niche thing. I just don't like the extreme cool down that comes with it.

I use to like the Plasma torpedo that once created a Mega Torp, but they nerfed it to hell, and besides most folks have 20% defense against Plasma due to Borg STFs etc...

All in all I stick with what has proven to me as the most effective, Quantum Torpedoes, which I view are the best in the game. The other Torps are "need specific," which requires specialty gameplay tactics (Nothing wrong with that).

However; if you want more punch as you hammer down on an opponent, go with Quantums. They pack a huge punch with a decent cool down - You can fire on a consistent basis.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
10-25-2012, 03:15 AM
I really like the hvy Plasma torps but truth be told they are not very good.
Captain
# 8
10-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Fully specced plasma torps are terrifying. My Science iship is hitting for a base 4.2K or so, and the burn is another 1.75K over 10 seconds. And thats before sensor scan buffs it. Bearing in mind i can with doffs pull a nearly maxed RoF and i cna pull upto 5 stacks of burns on target. With sensor scan in effect i can be burning the hull for around 1.16K.

@Stark2k: Plasma torps deal kenetic damage except for the burn which bypasses sheilds anyway, so the STF sheilds have no effect on them.
Commander
# 9
10-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl103 View Post
Fully specced plasma torps are terrifying. My Science iship is hitting for a base 4.2K or so, and the burn is another 1.75K over 10 seconds. And thats before sensor scan buffs it. Bearing in mind i can with doffs pull a nearly maxed RoF and i cna pull upto 5 stacks of burns on target. With sensor scan in effect i can be burning the hull for around 1.16K.

@Stark2k: Plasma torps deal kenetic damage except for the burn which bypasses sheilds anyway, so the STF sheilds have no effect on them.
What the heck does "RoF" mean?
Career Officer
# 10
10-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Well, there are two pretty straightforward choices:
  • Quantum is your bread and butter torpedo. High spike, decent firing rate.
  • Photon is comparable in terms of DPS, if I recall correctly, and has a higher RoF (rate of fire), so it's not a bad idea either.
Basically, if you're like most players and want to include spike damage for use on bare hull, you'll want one of these. Simple, effective, no tricks, just point and shoot.

Then there's all the others, which are more niche things that, depending on your style and spec, may be more useful to you.
  • Plasma torpedos. They're a poor man's Tricobalt, basically. Hard hitting, but the high yield projectile is targetable and it's relatively easy for it to get destroyed and you get no damage out of it.
  • Transphasics are good if you don't care about dropping shields. They were tested a couple of months back and their metrics are solid, meaning they function as intended and deliver the damage they were meant to deliver verus other torpedos on bare hull. But they're fairly weak on bare hull, not very good for spike. These are probably the least liked torpedoes in the game, if I had to guess.
  • Chroniton Torpedoes have fair damage and a long cooldown. Their advantage, though, is they have a 33% chance of heavily slowing down whatever they hit, making them easier targets. This is great when combined with, say, Torpedo Spread. Higher grade High Yields like 2 or 3 with Chronitons are okay, almost guaranteeing you'll slow your target, but Spread is just better.
  • Tricobalts are BIG damage, BIG cooldown, and BIG risk, but the payoff is excellent. They take practice to master, but in the hands of a seasoned player, they are far and away the most brutal torpedo in the game.

My personal preference is Quantum, just because it's so practical and user-friendly.