Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,614
As an aside, I've done some calculations to help me understand the effects of the exchange rate.

Assume for a moment that we're only talking about one character with the normal daily refinement cap of 8000 Dilithium per day. In reality, someone with alts and time can refine a lot more than that without any special knowledge of how to leverage the system.

At an exchange rate of 25 to 1, that player can claim (8000 / 25) 320 Zen from the Exchange daily. Over a 30 day period, that would be 9600 Zen, or the equivalent of $96 USD.

If every player were earning and claiming their refinement cap, it would very quickly exhaust the Zen supply. We can be pretty certain that most players are not buying anywhere near $96 of Zen per month much less putting it back into the Exchange. Only a relatively small set of players could benefit from it.

Now reverse that. At an exchange rate of 500 to 1, that player would only be able to claim (8000/500) 16 Zen from the Exchange per day. And that's exhausting all of their available-to-spend Dilithium, not including any stockpiles. That would work out to 480 Zen per month from the Exchange, a little more than a Gold Stipend. Gold subscriptions would very nearly be a superior means of earning Zen, certainly with a lot less effort.

It's easy to see why that's not desirable, either. Doing that would leave no Dilithium left to use in-game. If every player were doing that, the Dilithium supply would be exhausted. This would drive the rate back down, as Zen could not maintain that kind of value.

Now, what if the refinement cap were increased to 10K per day?

10000 / 25 = 400 Zen/day; 400 * 30 = 12000 Zen/mo or $120 USD/mo
10000 / 500 = 20 Zen /day; 20 * 30 = 600 Zen/mo or $6 USD/mo

Frankly, raising the cap (and therefore the supply) is really more likely to end up inflating Zen and drive the exchange rate higher in favor of Zen. And we can see that Cryptic does not benefit from doing that.

That said, my calculations and assumptions are simplistic. I have no idea what the average player refines per day averaged over a month's time. Nor do I know what the average influx of Zen per month into the Exchange is. Nor do I have knowledge of a lot of other variables. But I think that even my simple calculations tend to show that the min/max exchange rates are only theoretical and very unlikely to happen.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 510
# 32
10-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Yet we will eventually see the dil price rise unless cryptic does somthing.

Remeber when we first heard about starbase requierments. We had people coming out of the woodwork with 100's of K Dil on hand, a few claimed millions nd a fair number moe where talking about buying dill en mass of the exchange in preperation for the price drop. In adittion up till very recentl;y many fleets haven';t ben able to let their entire playerbase contribute, now as they start moving into 4 and eventually T5 your going to see Dil demand spike while the big stockpiles start draining fast. At that point the price is going to start rising again as there#'s going to be a sharp oversupply of zen but an undersupply of dil. Right now it's reversed which is keeping prices deppressed.

My guess is cryptic will raise avalibile dil and refining amounts when that ahppens or somthing similar to depress the price again.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 315
# 33
10-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
As an aside, I've done some calculations to help me understand the effects of the exchange rate.

Assume for a moment that we're only talking about one character with the normal daily refinement cap of 8000 Dilithium per day. In reality, someone with alts and time can refine a lot more than that without any special knowledge of how to leverage the system.

At an exchange rate of 25 to 1, that player can claim (8000 / 25) 320 Zen from the Exchange daily. Over a 30 day period, that would be 9600 Zen, or the equivalent of $96 USD. ...
Great analysis (snipped for length). Next, you should calculate the results of a rapidly fluctuating economy that shifts from one extreme to another. (example, buy dilithium at the 25 to 1 rate, then buy zen at the 500 to 1 rate) All of the Zen lost when the rate falls is basically money handed back to Cryptic. In the real world, this is how wealth is "lost" during a recession and earned during recoveries. Think about S6 launch and all the money lost on the exchange afterwards, and people complaining about it as well, as rates dropped to current levels.

When you have a stagnant rate, as it has been for some time now, the actual rate of exchange doesn't matter. The transactions will always net you the same amount of C-points (or dilithium if you go that way) no matter how many times you go back and forth. The only thing that matters in stagnant exchange rates is what the currency ultimately gets spent on. If you spend more on dilithium items, Cryptic wants a lower rate, but inversely a higher rate if you spend more on C-store items.
Kobayashi Maru
Join Date: Sept 2008


"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 145
# 34
10-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl103 View Post
Thats not even close to an hours work the time taken to get enough contraband and colonist alone pushes it well over an hour and only if you have perfect run are you going tobeat all those missions inside 1 hour. Try 3-4, assuming you can actually aquire enough conraband/colonists in the first place.
i take it you don't do Doff Missions, on both my KDF and Few i am always overran on both Colonists and contraband. Really just keep a KDF parked in EE and loop them from EE-> Sirius-> Regulus and you will never worry about contraband or most trade goods again) and there is nearly always a Colonist Mission up to grab it is rare i don't have 20 in my holds

So that is the first 4380 dil in about 5 mins (+the mission Cooldowns)

so lets see the last 3620

Btran - fly to 3 planets and give them some trade good ~15 mins max

1440+4380

So now we have you up to 5820 with about 20 mins of play time

Defense contract takes all of 10 mins (you blow up 6 true way ships)

So we have another 480 putting us up to 6300 Dil in 30 mins

leaving you short 1700 short, Now if you keep you Doff missions up most of this should be taken care of by the 5~50 rewards, but if not Infected Elite Space should only take 15 mins (or just over, at this point every one is so use to people blowing generators early most every one has some pocket CC to slow down the spheres) so let say 20 mins to do a bad run, that just netted you 1100 more dil, putting you at 7400 dil in about hour asumeing you hit no crits on your Doff mission, and get no Rare Salvage/extra gear token from the elite

at this point you only have to come up with 600 dil from what ever you do in this game
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
# 35
10-10-2012, 04:13 PM
And dont forget to do Btran daily at the same time as Explore strange new worlds. 1440+1440 for some easy dilithium
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 510
# 36
10-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Quote:
i take it you don't do Doff Missions, on both my KDF and Few i am always overran on both Colonists and contraband. Really just keep a KDF parked in EE and loop them from EE-> Sirius-> Regulus and you will never worry about contraband or most trade goods again) and there is nearly always a Colonist Mission up to grab it is rare i don't have 20 in my holds
Your right about the colonists, if you go rujning all over the game looking for them, thats not "quick" even with a lot of points in the relevent engine skill and borg engines it's a good half hour if you have to check every last sector, more likliy you'll be a bit quicker than that but your still talking a lot of running about and a lot more than 5 minutes. As for the ciontraband, sure klinks can get a fair bit, but fed can't and again doing the route round witha few KDF toons to keep yourself swimming is a LOT more than 5 minutes work.

Btran: your not garunteed to get those missions though, what you get in unexplored sectors is random and combat mission that take 10 mins plus are the norm, not commoditties missions. true enough on defence contract but by this point where well over an hour.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 145
# 37
10-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl103 View Post
Your right about the colonists, if you go rujning all over the game looking for them, thats not "quick" even with a lot of points in the relevent engine skill and borg engines it's a good half hour if you have to check every last sector, more likliy you'll be a bit quicker than that but your still talking a lot of running about and a lot more than 5 minutes. As for the ciontraband, sure klinks can get a fair bit, but fed can't and again doing the route round witha few KDF toons to keep yourself swimming is a LOT more than 5 minutes work.

Btran: your not garunteed to get those missions though, what you get in unexplored sectors is random and combat mission that take 10 mins plus are the norm, not commoditties missions. true enough on defence contract but by this point where well over an hour.
no need to search around, just check the Doffjobs sheet and go there

and the point of being able to do the stuff quick is being prepared, yes it is going to blow the time margin if your trying to farm all the **** every day, but as long as you keep you doff missions going you will be fine, also my Fed get as much Contraband as my KDF it drops from a ton of Crit missions where you investigation/search ships/sectors
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 510
# 38
10-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Quote:
no need to search around, just check the Doffjobs sheet and go there
not sure what your refferancing here. Probably me being dumb and missing somthing tha makes doffing 10X easier.

Also i haven't seen anything like the fed search missions you mention at the end, but could be doff catogory XP levels at work, nothing about rank 2 atm and most are rank 1, only started opaying attention recently, (i.e. S6).
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 45
# 39
10-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by queue38 View Post
You have to think smarter not harder!

My daily Dilithium refinement cap is 136,000. I get and refine 24,480 Dilithium in about 40 minutes per day. I could get another 8,160 Dilithium with about 30 minutes more of work. But 24k is enough for me.

That is not even half of what you could do. You could have a cap of 392,000 and make 94,080 in about 4 hours. with 2450 Fleet Marks.

Also right now I get 850 Fleet Marks per day in those 40 minutes.
Ok, I'll bite. How in the world do you do this? Is this using Alts to refine the dilithium?

I've seen references to gaming the system to refine more. Anyone care to pass on this information?
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 145
# 40
10-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by draugadan View Post
Ok, I'll bite. How in the world do you do this? Is this using Alts to refine the dilithium?

I've seen references to gaming the system to refine more. Anyone care to pass on this information?
likly a mess load of lvl 8 alts parked at SFA
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:21 PM.