Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 262
# 541
10-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeyredshirt View Post
You're a bot aren't you... I'm not here to state facts. I am here for 'forum' and to offer my opinion. You are the one who thinks their opinion is fact.
hee hee. when i read that my mind immediately went to this: link
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,061
# 542
10-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsharpex View Post
hee hee. when i read that my mind immediately went to this: link
LMAO! Too funny...thank you.
REDALERT chat channel co-founder and operator
Lifetime Subscriber
True Veteran of Star Trek: Online
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 262
# 543
10-11-2012, 08:27 PM
not to say that the op referenced is doing that. he makes a valid assertion of his opinion. it's just with all the posts being thrown around, the point in his message becomes skewed.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,061
# 544
10-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsharpex View Post
not to say that the op referenced is doing that. he makes a valid assertion of his opinion. it's just with all the posts being thrown around, the point in his message becomes skewed.
It is still a much needed laugh after a very long evening.
REDALERT chat channel co-founder and operator
Lifetime Subscriber
True Veteran of Star Trek: Online
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 93
# 545
10-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsharpex View Post
with all this talk about their actions being a good business decision, i feel that this statement could not be further from the truth. the only benefit that i can see from this is a quick infusion of capital from the lts subscription sales. what they choose to do with this increase, is a thread all of its own.

now as for why their actions are a bad business decision:

1. is an absolute and utter insult to all gold level subscribers. the people who pay per month, every 3 months or every 6 months are left in the cold by this decision. most of them are re-evaluating their decision to support this game per month and will ultimately result in them either going f2p or lifetime. either way, this detracts from income that could be earned by PWE over time.

That is one potential outcome and it is a valid point. One that I do not disagree with, however many times over the last several months dating back quite a while now, there has been a consistently growing worry about the overall integrity and productivity of this game up to and including the PvP dynamic. However, one of the things to bear in mind about that is that in order to find a new healthy medium immediate short term gains to allow a small buffer of time to consolidate and create a new productive environment will happen from time to time. Which is probably what caused PWE to do this in the first place, I wouldn't know because I don't work for them. But I can theorize that as one potential possibility.

2. their actions do nothing to increase loyal customers. loyal customers are those who support this game either through recurring subscriptions or micro-transactions. with all this money blown on the lifetime for some, it would be harder for them to spend more money in the immediate future for micro-transactions. these lifers also reap the benefits of never having to pay for character respecs, extra bridge officer slots, inventories and so on. it takes away from revenue that could have been earned from all these various micro transactions.

While you are correct that it does nothing for current loyal subscribers/customers, that doesn't mean however that the people who are able to spend money on a lifetime subscription wouldn't be able to add additional funds to the game. Some people might not be able to and some people might be able to. With that said, there is no credible statement saying that is a universal truth. for people like me who respec quite often to try and theory craft different build I will spend more on respec token until I find something I am happy with. So again that is not a universal truth for everyone.

3. building customer relationships: in the current marketing environment, many successful companies rely on what is called relationship marketing. in a short sense, relationship marketing occurs when a company builds a positive relationship with their customers. this in turn creates customer loyalty and will increase the chances of the customer repeating their business with the company. the decision by PWE outraged many and thus soured the business relationship with those customers. for those who were not outraged, they did nothing to ensure that these customers would remain loyal to PWE after their large one-time transaction. sure, they may be locked in for "life" but it does not mean that they will continue to do business with this company.

And you are correct in this assessment that there is nothing to hold these players to the game after making the transaction. But I ask you from a personal standpoint, how many people would willingly blow a large sum of money on something if there would be any doubt that they would stop playing the game?

Overall, in my opinion, I think PWE sacrificed long term security for a short term gain. I do not think that this was a great business decision. There was too much sacrificed and not enough gained.

I understand what you mean in this comment but I want you to understand that "technically" Nothing has been sacrificed "technically" All that has been done is given the additional incentive to purchase a LTS. There is no guarantee that this will in fact generate any further revenue for them, it does however make the LTS package more appealing to purchase since the original incentives for the F2P platform were not worth the 299.00 U.S.D. investment.

PWE should focus on mending relationships with players to entice them to be and remain loyal customers. they need to do some serious advertising to bring in new players. they need to listen to all of their customers and make improvements across the board. invest some money into this game and actually build it out right. if things are actually done right, this game has the potential to be the star it deserves to be instead of the cash cow it is now waiting to be slaughtered.

And this is something I do not disagree with, the real problem is that is a major mountain to surpass due to everything that was put in to "appease" and "offset" all the problems that still exist in this game. I agree that making it a cash cow was not a right decision.

- my 2 slits of GPL
@sharpe-
Well thought out and stated, overall I do not disagree with you on any particular point, I have a different opinion regarding the things but then again that's how feedback is meant to be given. Different perspectives give a broader range of things to look at as a whole. With that said, I'm not saying I agree with what has been done with this particular deal, I am also however not upset by it because I do understand the business reasoning behind it.

Of course, regardless of all of that, making this game truly free to play with all perks purchasable through the cash store would actually solve a lot of these problems from surfacing in the future. Which I would love to see happen. They could even manage to give all the LTS if they did away with the LTS the money refunded back in the form of cash shop currency, and then you could use that to purchase the said perks you would want from the old reward system. Granted that wouldn't happen because it would cause just as much of an uproar as this has.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 93
# 546
10-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeyredshirt View Post
You're a bot aren't you... I'm not here to state facts. I am here for 'forum' and to offer my opinion. You are the one who thinks their opinion is fact.
Yes we know, you would rather use a personal opinion to state your argument as opposed to an informed opinion using facts surrounding what this offer actually does for new LTS. We get that you don't know how to make an informed opinion based on fact. You don't need to beat a dead horse about that to me. I figured that out about you more than 2 hours ago. So, I'm going to disregard your further posts since there is nothing to be gained in terms of insightful thought out informed opinions from you. Enjoy your game Redshirt.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,061
# 547
10-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxandra View Post
Yes we know, you would rather use a personal opinion to state your argument as opposed to an informed opinion using facts surrounding what this offer actually does for new LTS. We get that you don't know how to make an informed opinion based on fact. You don't need to beat a dead horse about that to me. I figured that out about you more than 2 hours ago. So, I'm going to disregard your further posts since there is nothing to be gained in terms of insightful thought out informed opinions from you. Enjoy your game Redshirt.
Insults and attacks will get you nowhere. Ironic you accused me earlier of attacking you, which I didn't, and now here we are...
I spoon-fed my opinions (which were based on facts) to you yet you choose to ignore them or you do not comprehend them. I don't think you are 'figuring out' much. The only one beating a dead horse here is you.
REDALERT chat channel co-founder and operator
Lifetime Subscriber
True Veteran of Star Trek: Online

Last edited by rickeyredshirt; 10-11-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 548
10-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Maybe you should go listen to what Cryptic has to say about your greivences:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDnT...eature=related

Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,061
# 549
10-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
Maybe you should go listen to what Cryptic has to say about your greivences:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDnT...eature=related

lol. Yup. That sums it up...
REDALERT chat channel co-founder and operator
Lifetime Subscriber
True Veteran of Star Trek: Online
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 262
# 550
10-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxandra View Post
That is one potential outcome and it is a valid point. One that I do not disagree with, however many times over the last several months dating back quite a while now, there has been a consistently growing worry about the overall integrity and productivity of this game up to and including the PvP dynamic. However, one of the things to bear in mind about that is that in order to find a new healthy medium immediate short term gains to allow a small buffer of time to consolidate and create a new productive environment will happen from time to time. Which is probably what caused PWE to do this in the first place, I wouldn't know because I don't work for them. But I can theorize that as one potential possibility.
the integrity and productivity of this game has been questioned since before it's existence. the prevalent disparity between fed content and klingon content is more than indicative of that. as for productivity itself, these seasons that they have released are seriously lacking in content for the time that we wait. another foul decision they made was to revamp the leveling system. they should have left it the way it was. the way people level is too fast for the game. people do 1 mission and they increase a grade. it's no wonder people are crying for more content. they created a system where people bypass most of the existing content and then twiddle their thumbs with maxed out toons crying for more. all those individual sector space exploration missions, all the nebulas and stuff that could be explored. no one does that stuff anymore, because they don't have to. back in the day, we had to grind these areas to make rank. slow the system down. let people enjoy the ranks and their ships. what's the point of a t1, 2 or 3 ship if you spend a couple hours of gameplay in it?

As for the buffer of time they would need to play catch up, use my suggestion above and work on the game concurrently. They focus too much on one thing and rush it through production. They barely even test their own content, leaving users to test it for them in redshirt and tribble. That within itself is disgusting. Content is supposed to be new and surprising. Giving people a sneak peek to test, debug and explore the new content isn't fair for any consumer. You talk about making the field even and level playing fields right? The users that do this gain a significant advantage over people who don't. They learn the system in tribble and exploit it on holodeck. People raiding the exchange for things they need for the next big thing or hoarding this and hoarding that. It creates an economic disparity that is easily avoidable. All players should be surprised with meaningful, new and bug free content at the same time. Especially when we wait a whole year for a mere handful of episodes.

As for the integrity of the game itself, so many aspects of it are rushed into the mainstream. Incomplete systems that are pushed out and subsequently patched or not (i.e. the cloaking "feature that is working as intended" bug or the skills and powers that are neglected or nerfed), patches that break otherwise working features of the game and so on. Things are done and pushed out without any quality control standards and we are the ones suffering for it. People would experience game breaking bugs because of this. Today, it very rarely reaches critical mass, because you can generally skip missions and such. Before, you were SOL until the fix came.

It's like a chef that is cooking blind and sending out dishes to patrons without tasting it. Then re-evaluating when the dish gets sent back while the patrons wait hungrily. The kicker is that the restaurant still expects to be paid for the meal at the end of the day. Oh, imagine the audacity... lol. we don't have to. we live it. a little "food" for thought, no?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:29 AM.