Career Officer
# 61
10-09-2012, 02:25 PM
As a lifetime subscriber since the head start, I am happy to see this change come nto effect. It adds a little more value to those buying a subscription 2 and a half years after the game launched. It also gives me a little cause for conern. Does this mean it's no longer possible to get to the 1,000 day mark if the old system was kept? Cash grabs are always warrant a cause for speculation on the methods behind it. Does this game now have less than a thousand days of life left before the servers shut down for good?
Rihannsu
# 62
10-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarksabre View Post
To put it simply, the Vet rewards are powerful messages showcasing our commitment to the game, to reach 1000 days is a feat unto itself, and adding a ship for that milestone makes it a highly prized vessel with a huge amount of respect behind it.
Nobody's rushing to give vet rewards to people who've been playing for 1000 days, but are currently Silver.

Nobody's rushing to take away vet rewards from accounts who bought a lifetime during beta and quit the game after a week.

Nobody really benefits from keeping it from people who've already paid for 1000 days, save the vanity of a few individuals.

Nobody who's really committed to the game would put their ego before bringing in more revenue to fund more development.

This saves me, like, a month or two, at most. I don't particularly need the ship, but I'll sure take what I've already paid for.
Empire Veteran
# 63
10-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Cryptic dosen't care about long-term players...

This is a move designed to make people feel like they've spend less so they will funnel more money into the C-Store.

Pay 300 now... Makes you think "Yea... they aren't getting much more from me"... Next month... Back to feeling like a silver with WAY too much money in your pocket.

Why do you think regular Golds don't get this benefit?
Um no, it just requires some patience. I spend a lot less since I'm gold now, but I don't instant buy every new crap they release.

Now lifetime is just worth 1 year of sub. That's interesting.
Career Officer
# 64
10-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
Yeah, rewarding people for making a long-term investment is terrible! I'm so upset at you Cryptic!
How is instantly opening 1000 days worth of Vet rewards to anyone with $300 rewarding those who supported Cryptic and made that long-term investment back when the game was in beta?

And if you mean by buying into the game now - nobody considering an LTS now will be considering it a 'long-term investment' - it's $300 for an exclusive ship, Liberated Borg captain, 500 Zen a month and a few more shinies. The game's free to play anyway - it's not like you need to invest any money to play it.

There's no way to interpret this that isn't a big FU to the Lifetimers. Cryptic isn't doing this 'cause they think it's unfair that everybody else can't share in the Chimera fun - they're doing it 'cause there's people out there stupid enough to pay $300 for a ship.
Career Officer
# 65
10-09-2012, 02:30 PM
this just proves cryptic no longer gives a flying **** about the game.
Join Date. Dec 2007
The Original Novastar
Career Officer
# 66
10-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
How is instantly opening 1000 days worth of Vet rewards to anyone with $300 rewarding those who supported Cryptic and made that long-term investment back when the game was in beta?

And if you mean by buying into the game now - nobody considering an LTS now will be considering it a 'long-term investment' - it's $300 for an exclusive ship, Liberated Borg captain, 500 Zen a month and a few more shinies. The game's free to play anyway - it's not like you need to invest any money to play it.

There's no way to interpret this that isn't a big FU to the Lifetimers. Cryptic isn't doing this 'cause they think it's unfair that everybody else can't share in the Chimera fun - they're doing it 'cause there's people out there stupid enough to pay $300 for a ship.
I direct you to numbers 3 and 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaanithegreen View Post
Nobody's rushing to give vet rewards to people who've been playing for 1000 days, but are currently Silver.

Nobody's rushing to take away vet rewards from accounts who bought a lifetime during beta and quit the game after a week.

Nobody really benefits from keeping it from people who've already paid for 1000 days, save the vanity of a few individuals.

Nobody who's really committed to the game would put their ego before bringing in more revenue to fund more development.
Career Officer
# 67
10-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Here's a question, then, for all those saying this is a bad move: Would you have been okay with this had Cryptic also said "Along with this, for the 1000-day subbers, you get an exclusive title [insert witty 1000-day title here] and [insert some bonus here]"?

Or must they have kept the previous system, where LTS'er or regular Gold you had to stay in-game X number of days to get Y rewards?

EDIT: Basically, what does/did Cryptic need to do to make X-day subbers feel special after today's announcement?
Starfleet Veteran
# 68
10-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post

I'm at 998 days as a lifer. I'm not fond of it, but it's not a giant FU to us. Most of the veteran rewards are sort of silly token thank you things or convenience. Yay free slots and respec and some skill points. I'm not complaining, but they're aren't, and shouldn't be game changing awesome.

But the point of them is that the reward actual veterans. If they want to have a promotion that is anyone who is a lifetime sub or anyone who is a 1000 day veteran gets one of these destroyer ships then.. ok? There's lots of stuff in this game not handed to lifers for free, one more new ship isn't any different. But don't present it as a veteran reward when it's not. As I said in the comment thread on the blog post, a 200 dollar (on sale) lifetime sub is 13 months of subscription time, so give... 13 months of veteran rewards maybe (400 days boost to played time). How about an exclusive starship material that is *actually* exclusive, or a title that is actually exclusive. If I want to show off that I've really been a lifer for 1000 days or whatever then they should encourage and reward that.

I don't mind giving away the ship as part of a promo. They've done that lots before, it's one of the carrots they hold out to get money. But a veteran reward is precisely not game altering because it's supposed to be well, a reward, for being a veteran. A ship can be (theoretically) game altering.

As I put it in the comment on the blog, it's dishonest to call it a veteran reward if you don't have to be a veteran to get it. There's nothing wrong with giving it away, there's nothing wrong with trying to have stuff in a promotion to get people to buy a lifetime sub. But then they're not veteran rewards they're lifetime or long term sub rewards. Loses some of the ring if you want to be honest about it.
Rihannsu
# 69
10-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I was excited and anxiously awaiting the 1000 day veteran rewards. I was looking forward to staying up tonight to get my Chimera when the clock clicked over.

Now, not so much. I feel very let down.
Captain
# 70
10-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Just weighing in, but here's the new 'Lifers Perks' list

Playable Federation or Klingon Liberated Borg character(s)
Unique costume piece: lifetime badge
Player title: Career Officer
Blue forum title: Career Officer

Titles:
Stalwart
Redoubtable
Dauntless
Valiant
Relentless
Magnificent
Impressive
Vigilant
Guardian
Starfleet/Empire Veteran

Costume Pieces:
Alternative Future Comm Badge
Special Veteran Jacket Option
Special Veteran Uniform Option (Silver Jupiter Variant)
Special Veteran Uniform Option (Gold Jupiter Variant)
Klingon Shoulder Pads and Cape

Starships:
Chimera Heavy Destroyer
Pehgqu' Heavy Destroyer
Captain's Yacht/Chariot
Veteran Starship Material

Assorted:
Mugato Companion
Dilithium Refining Boost Doff Assignment
5% Skill Point and Expertise Boost
5% Team Skill and Expertise Boost
Free Ship at Vice Admiral/Lieutenant General