Rihannsu
So how do you want your content? In big seasonal updates or evenly through the year?

Season 6 was quite a big update with starbases, 6 starbase missions, some foundry updates and the tholian stuff.
season 7 is meant to be their largest update yet. While that remains to be seen lets assume its true and there is lots of mission content.

However with the exception of lockboxes, ships and costume there has been virtually nothing in between which is somewhat of a change in how cryptic have worked in the past.

So the question is, do you want big seasons with plenty of content in one hit and only the fluff and shinny stuff in between or would you prefer seasons to go back to being just system updates and the content released on a more regular interval in between them, so updates are more evenly spread out?

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 2
10-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
So how do you want your content? In big seasonal updates or evenly through the year?

Season 6 was quite a big update with starbases, 6 starbase missions, some foundry updates and the tholian stuff.
season 7 is meant to be their largest update yet. While that remains to be seen lets assume its true and there is lots of mission content.

However with the exception of lockboxes, ships and costume there has been virtually nothing in between which is somewhat of a change in how cryptic have worked in the past.

So the question is, do you want big seasons with plenty of content in one hit and only the fluff and shinny stuff in between or would you prefer seasons to go back to being just system updates and the content released on a more regular interval in between them, so updates are more evenly spread out?
Personally I favor the infrequent, but large, updates with the semi-frequent 'carrot on a stick' and surprise (unannounced) items inbetween.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Captain
# 3
10-12-2012, 05:34 AM
I would prefer it spread out. Getting it all in one lump sum might seem nice, but then you get those big areas of emptyness. Whereas smaller releases throughout the year not only gives us the impression they are continually working on new stuff, it gives them more time to run QC on it.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Career Officer
# 4
10-12-2012, 05:45 AM
id like my content delivered via pvp plz. k thanks!
Captain
# 5
10-12-2012, 05:47 AM
Seems like its large. I have a 6gb patch update. @_@
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Career Officer
# 6
10-12-2012, 06:09 AM
How repeatable is it?

If we're talking stuff with multiple endings and puzzled, like a Featured Episode version of Exploration, I could deal with once every six months to once a year.

.... Meanwhile, if we're talking "done once or twice" type stuff? Split up as much as possible.

Think about it this way:

We got two Featured Episode series between February 2011 and March 2012.

Now... Imagine it WASN'T released in two 5 episode clusters. Imagine it was released once a month.

That gives a chance to build anticipation. It offers opportunity to build serial story arcs. There's time between episodes to gauge the popular parts and build daily missions and DOff assignments around it.

And here's the real kicker...

While I can't think of a single FE I haven't played at least 5 times, most people I talk to play them once if at all and some people don't NOTICE THEM.

A month window of promotion on each one gets people to notice them and you can get people to play them multiple times during that window, while waiting and guessing about the next one.

And one way to do that could be to have running guesses about what happens next that the player gets to make after each one, that influences what happens in the next episode or provides a reward from a not-repeatable mission where they get to record their guess.

So an FE runs for a month, right? And is filled with clues.

And the week before the next part launches, everyone gets to sit down with Quinn or J'mpok and make multiple choice guesses about the next mission. These get logged. And you get a prize (Lobi, for example -- or maybe an elusive Starfleet/Klingon Intelligence Reputation) if you're right and a title or smaller prize for each of the incorrect answers. :-)

I also think splitting FEs up into one a month deal would encourage each part to stand alone more. Past series have suffered because there's always 2 or so episodes that feel disconnected and inflated. By having Featured Episodes that are not a Featured SERIES, there's no bloat because one gets its own plot while advancing the larger game arc in some way and dropping clues about the next part instead of leading directly into it.
Empire Veteran
# 7
10-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
season 7 is meant to be their largest update yet.
Let's sum up what season 7 is about:
- an endgame rewards revamp
- one new social map
- finishing the new stf, the job was almost ready to be released
- "lots of new space missions". It's not hard to guess what kind of mission it will be: kill X enemies in Y minutes, with an empty space map with a poor lost starbase in the middle.

That's not a 'big update' for me. We'll have plenty of new meaningless missions with very poor thinking, "kill everything" objectives without anything at stake but getting new gear. Okay, there's the new STF and S7 might be worth it for that reason, but that's it.

That was an indirect answer, I prefer no content at all to stupid content we could build in 1h if we had the assets in the foundry (an empty map, a starbase, some mobs, a popup, no story). But if we had meaningful content, I wouldn't mind waiting, as long as we get it.
Career Officer
# 8
10-12-2012, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
- one new social map
- "lots of new space missions". It's not hard to guess what kind of mission it will be: kill X enemies in Y minutes, with an empty space map with a poor lost starbase in the middle.

That's not a 'big update' for me. We'll have plenty of new meaningless missions with very poor thinking, "kill everything" objectives without anything at stake but getting new gear. Okay, there's the new STF and S7 might be worth it for that reason, but that's it.

That was an indirect answer, I prefer no content at all to stupid content we could build in 1h if we had the assets in the foundry (an empty map, a starbase, some mobs, a popup, no story). But if we had meaningful content, I wouldn't mind waiting, as long as we get it.
this ^^^^^^^^
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Captain
# 9
10-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Quote:
"lots of new space missions". It's not hard to guess what kind of mission it will be: kill X enemies in Y minutes, with an empty space map with a poor lost starbase in the middle.
You do sorta realize that the only difference between, say, the "fleet alert" and "No Win Scenerio" where you blow up X waves of enemies in Y amount of time and any number of "storyline" missions where you blow up X waves of enemies is the amount of text stuck in between waves of enemies, right?

The only difference between those missions and "foundry content" is that the "official storyline" missions have text that supposedly relates to the "grand scheme" that Cryptic has for the storyline of STO, while the foundry is all "unofficial" and the text blurbs are only concerned with a particular author's arcs...
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...
Commander
# 10
10-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Quote:
- one new social map

THIS ^

EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.