Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 108
# 131
10-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tali9999 View Post
Hyperbole much?
(...).
Well, sometimes))..

only wanted to state that there were and are fun things in the game that you cannot read as perks.

It depends on the playstyle. I know a player who has never left ESD, only standing at the tailor and redressing, redressing, redressing...what if cryptic would decide to take dil instead of EC for that service?

I don't care about ships or inventory space and all this stuff, also I want cryptic to earn money - I will still pay my part with purchased zen nearly every month. (added to the 1500,- Euro I already spent)

So it's only about maxing our fleetbase and my accolades now. Let's see for how long!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 553
# 132
10-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Let's understand what this really is, when it all boils down to it, it's a way for them to get more money. Giving these perks to lifers now, the gold people are in fact doing the maths, and it makes sense to purchase the lifetime, and save money in the long run. It doesn't take long for the lifetime sub to pay for itself, and then you get to play this game, forever, without spending more $$$$$ per month.

That is what ultimately saddens me, the whole model for STO revolves around new and unique ways they can come up to make people spend money. It's all about dollar signs with STO, and how they can get more money out of us. This game has changed a lot from when it was launched, I've seen how each little thing they do as time progresses is all geared toward the money grab. It's shameful. My STO that I use to know, is gone.

Now you can buy your way to "Veteran"

Sickening
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us

Last edited by thedoctorbluebox; 10-10-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 170
# 133
10-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandormen123 View Post
Hear, hear.

I have the same feeling.
I understand that Cryptic/Perfect World really wants us to assimilate the community into nameless mind slaves with equal 'rights'.
I'd say take soldiers Congressional Medal of Honor, and distribute it to them all. Give them the option to recieve the Purple heart to. Just make sure that they shoot their foot first.
Usually (imho) an mmo used to be the continuous grind/kill x beast, to finally get some kind of cool bragging-right inducing item of some sort.

What are we supposed to grind for now, then? Uhmm, Dil? To waste on the starbase?!?!!!
I am really lacking an incentive to continue this game. Have Cryptic/Perfect World just cutthroathed the whole game? -Releasing the Veteran Awards (and titles!!??!), and to top it off. Plainly distributing the complete OP-ship#1, the Chimera?! Let me guess, space will be littered with a prototype(!) ship, that happens to be flown by 'everybody'. Great move Cryptic. Honestly, I wouldn't have cried if I had to wait a 1000 days to actually get it. It would have given me a reason to farm dilithium to the otherwise less useful starbase. -Now? Pffh. We'll see.
Before today, what did you ever had to grind to get your 1000 days reward? Nothing.

All you had to do is buy your Lifetime a year ago and then never log again into the game and just wait until you hit 1000 days. So what's the deal here? What exactly are you losing here?

The only real achievments are the ones you can work for IN the game. Days subbed never meant much to begin with, it was just giving away gated rewards over time for doing nothing.

Now you can just keep playing and doing exactly what you were doing 3 days ago. Nothing has changed.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,986
# 134
10-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
Let's understand what this really is, when it all boils down to it, it's a way for them to get more money. Giving these perks to lifers now, the gold people are in fact doing the maths, and it makes sense to purchase the lifetime, and save money in the long run. It doesn't take long for the lifetime sub to pay for itself, and then you get to play this game, forever, without spending more $$$$$ per month.

That is what ultimately saddens me, the whole model for STO revolves around new and unique ways they can come up to make people spend money. It's all about dollar signs with STO, and how they can get more money out of us. This game has changed a lot from when it was launched, I've seen how each little thing they do as time progresses is all geared toward the money grab. It's shameful. My STO that I use to know, is gone.

Now you can buy your way to "Veteran"

Sickening
The old STO with the bugs, and you use to beam down as your starship in ESD. The STO where it took forever to level up a KDF toon? the old STO where we had to beam out of an STF because no one could beat Rebecca, and had to try to find another team in zone. oh the STO where if we wanted to play we had no choice but sub, even though nothing was being put in the game, and ESD had 1 instance, and KDF was a ghost town. Unlike the STO now where you can play the whole game for FREE without spending a dime.

They made a game Free to play, but if you want other cool stuff you got to pay for it. They are not holding players at gun point saying you must buy this or we will kick you out. They make a ship or something, and say some corny phrases that you would see on a TV commercial and wave it in front of someone and saying buy buy buy buy, but still not at gun point.


Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 939
# 135
10-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tali9999 View Post
Before today, what did you ever had to grind to get your 1000 days reward? Nothing.

All you had to do is buy your Lifetime a year ago and then never log again into the game and just wait until you hit 1000 days. So what's the deal here? What exactly are you losing here?

The only real achievments are the ones you can work for IN the game. Days subbed never meant much to begin with, it was just giving away gated rewards over time for doing nothing.

Now you can just keep playing and doing exactly what you were doing 3 days ago. Nothing has changed.
So what would you care if us peons were able to drop some cash and instantly obtain the complete MACO/KHG sets? Or a T5 starbase?

They're just pixels and it won't effect you or your game play any.

"What exactly are you losing here?"

You could just keep playing and doing exactly what you were doing 3 days ago. Nothing would change.

???
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,425
# 136
10-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyryck View Post
So what would you care if us peons were able to drop some cash and instantly obtain the complete MACO/KHG sets? Or a T5 starbase?

They're just pixels and it won't effect you or your game play any.

"What exactly are you losing here?"

You could just keep playing and doing exactly what you were doing 3 days ago. Nothing would change.

???
I wouldn't care but I think a better design (from a perspective of making things easier for Cryptic to datamine for development) would be to create a dilithium-only auction house for all bound items in the game.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 939
# 137
10-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I wouldn't care but I think a better design (from a perspective of making things easier for Cryptic to datamine for development) would be to create a dilithium-only auction house for all bound items in the game.
That's not a bad idea...someone would buy Zen and hit the Dil exchange or just grind out the Dil in order to buy what they want.

Would provide another source of income but would taper off after the initial frenzy of buying.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8
# 138
10-10-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure it's really about new LT subscribers suddenly getting the toys that were only handed out at specific intervals previously.

I think it's the mechanism. It was set up as kind of a reward system for veterans. The merits of it's effectiveness are debatable; however, for many it did feel like a reward for being a loyal player over X amount of time.

Now, with it's sudden removal, it is as if your trophy was taken back for whatever reason. The rewarded feeling is cheapened and it's understandable that would upset some people. It would feel like their loyalty meant nothing after all.

Sure, you could open an account, buy a LTS, and never log in for 1000 and still earn the prizes. I'm not saying this explanation covers everyone, but I do think it does cover a fraction of the player base and it is understandable why they feel upset.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 553
# 139
10-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfco View Post
I'm not sure it's really about new LT subscribers suddenly getting the toys that were only handed out at specific intervals previously.

I think it's the mechanism. It was set up as kind of a reward system for veterans. The merits of it's effectiveness are debatable; however, for many it did feel like a reward for being a loyal player over X amount of time.

Now, with it's sudden removal, it is as if your trophy was taken back for whatever reason. The rewarded feeling is cheapened and it's understandable that would upset some people. It would feel like their loyalty meant nothing after all.

Sure, you could open an account, buy a LTS, and never log in for 1000 and still earn the prizes. I'm not saying this explanation covers everyone, but I do think it does cover a fraction of the player base and it is understandable why they feel upset.
Thank you, precisely
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 313
# 140
10-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfco View Post
I'm not sure it's really about new LT subscribers suddenly getting the toys that were only handed out at specific intervals previously.

I think it's the mechanism. It was set up as kind of a reward system for veterans. The merits of it's effectiveness are debatable; however, for many it did feel like a reward for being a loyal player over X amount of time.

Now, with it's sudden removal, it is as if your trophy was taken back for whatever reason. The rewarded feeling is cheapened and it's understandable that would upset some people. It would feel like their loyalty meant nothing after all.

Sure, you could open an account, buy a LTS, and never log in for 1000 and still earn the prizes. I'm not saying this explanation covers everyone, but I do think it does cover a fraction of the player base and it is understandable why they feel upset.
Reasons I disagree: 1. No one lost anything
2. people who get LTS will get these rewards anyway. Time is only artificially making these items scarcer they they are logically.
3. the people who buy an LTS and never log in for 1000 days would get the rewards in the old system. It's players who have yet to acheive the 1000 days of subscribed time that are benfitting from this (some more than others)
4. Loyalty... WTF? Cryptic are rewarding your loyalty for buying an LTS or being subscribed for 1000 days by giving you these items. By buying an LTS these items are given to you no matter how much time you are in game as these rewards are given based on subscribed time. And if you have an LTS you are forever subscribed so in effect everyone bought these items when they bought an LTS.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:07 AM.