Commander
# 1 Cryptic, Let's make a deal!
10-09-2012, 01:56 PM
So, looking over the Chimeria Class specs, I gotta say I like it. It's everything I've always wanted in an endgame ship. Manueverable, Durable, and not the size of the Empire State Building.

Way to go!

There is a problem though. Cryptic, you seem ADDICTED to 4-nacelle starships. It's a bad addiction, and it's hurting some of the people you love. (Your customers)

So I'll make you a deal. Take the Chimeria back to Utopia Planitia, and do a Revision on the design plans. Rev 1 should include an option to utilize only 2 nacelles, instead of 4. That way, it'll look like a normal Starfleet ship.

If you do that, make a 2-nacelle visual option, I promise I will buy an LTS at my very next paycheck. Guarenteed.

But you have to want to break your addiction Cryptic. You have to want to get better.

Do we have a deal?

The account formerly known as C_Carmichael
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack. I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
Captain
# 2
10-09-2012, 02:06 PM
There are tonnes of four-nacelled ships in Star Trek canon. It's hardly an obsession of Cryptic's!
Commander
# 3
10-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
There are tonnes of four-nacelled ships in Star Trek canon. It's hardly an obsession of Cryptic's!
Tons?

I can only think of 2.

Constellation (and it's subsequent Cheyenne successor)
Prometheus

And besides, if you re-read my post, I'm not asking them to convert the ship from 4-nacelles to 2-nacelles. I'm asking them to give us a toggle/option in the shipyard to only display 2 of the nacelles.

That way, if you like 4-nacelle ships, you're golden, and if you hate 4-nacelle ships (like I do) then you can still use this ship without the loathing for it's appearance!

It's a win-win in my book!

Other than the 4 nacelles, I have no complaints about the ship's style. It looks good to me. Just need the ability to drop some nacelles, and it would be perfect!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack. I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
10-09-2012, 02:16 PM
First time on screen was Picards first command ship. They had 2 episodes that centered around it. Then of course the Prometheus on Voyager. All 3 episodes was not just background pretty but details of the ships and interiors. Beyond that "canon" The old role play star trek and many books have 1, and 4 nacel ships
Commander
# 5
10-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Guys, I'm not debating the validity of 4 nacelle designs!

I know they exist! I know they are canon!

All I'm asking for is a visual option. A tweak to the graphical model so that in the Starship Customization, you can change it to a 2 nacelle ship instead of a 4 nacelle ship.

It's a visual preference. Nothing more.

You could change the Strut so it rounds off at the connection point for the under-nacelle, and by picking that option, you'd have a ship that looks more like a 2409 Excelsior, than a 2409 Cheyenne.

Or you could fly it just the way it looks.

Have we really become so intransigent in the STO community that the requests for some choices and options have become verboten?
Career Officer
# 6
10-09-2012, 02:34 PM
The pylons rise and the nacelles close in while in sector space mode, so there would have to be some significant tweaking involved for a two nacelle version, but it's certainly not unreasonable.
@HyperLimited
Commander
# 7
10-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post
The pylons rise and the nacelles close in while in sector space mode, so there would have to be some significant tweaking involved for a two nacelle version, but it's certainly not unreasonable.
That I was not aware of.

Yeah, tweaks to components of the ship involved in an animation, are likely to be time consuming and the devs are not likely to want to tackle that.

Bummer.
Career Officer
# 8
10-09-2012, 05:59 PM
From what I have seen from screenshots, it seems to have two big nacelles in sector space and four nacelles in a space combat map. I guess the nacelle pylons are retractable?
Empire Veteran
# 9
10-09-2012, 07:11 PM
While I don't particularly care for 4 nacelles, they are in no way, shape, or form hurting me.
Republic Veteran
# 10
10-09-2012, 07:38 PM
What addiction? There are only what two playable ships with four nacelles, and what one npc ship? I'm not a huge fan of the nacelles on the ship either but to say they are addicted is a little...overboard.