Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 447
# 11
10-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Agreed - there was no way that the Wells class could've made an appearance in-game without CBS's approval.
We don't know that. And maybe it's not that black-and-white. Perhaps they had some sort of tacit understanding about how it would appear or somesuch.

What's CBS going to do, sue? Or maybe...pull the plug? Which seems to be the case.
Adds up to the same thing, doesn't it?

Mommy and Daddy know not to fight in front of the kids. Just because the kids don't see them throwing pots and pans at each other doesn't mean they're not planning to get a divorce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Shame the Archived Post monster ate so many of the past threads on this, but as recently as LAST MONTH there were lifetime subscribers saying they should get rewards immediately when they're added instead of waiting like month to month subscribers do. I already dug up some of the post-archive suggestions to throw in people's faces that they themselves had asked for or supported the idea and now suddenly don't when it benefits other people and not them, but that expands even more as you go back, since waiting for veteran rewards were one of the main points of contention before F2P where LTS subscribers felt they should be put on a pedestal above subscribers.
Unsubstantiated claims that champion PWE are cool. And considering the vast amounts of sock puppetry, linking a post pretending to "ask" for something doesn't prove anything.

Also, the highlighted part. Why so much hyperbole for PWE's sake?

Last edited by aestu; 10-10-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,839
# 12
10-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
That is the safest bet you will ever make.
[Rant]
The only thing Cryptic has done well since season 2 is irritate their player base with undelivered promises and gouge money from us at every single turn.
Constant changes in game mechanics that require us, the customer, to pay money to stay in line with the new game mechanics. Oh, sorry guys, we just changed a bunch of stuff & now all your toons are out of date. To min max your toons again will only cost you another $5 each. Oh, you have 10 toons? SUCKER!!!!!
How about instead of punching us in the groin every time one of your brilliant Devs gets another idea, you give every toon a free respec EVERY SINGLE TIME ANY GAME MECHANIC GETS CHANGED?
This game is like flying on an airline.
You're buying your ticket online? there's a fee for that. Buying from our ticket agent? We got a fee for that too. Travel agent?, No problem, we can charge you extra for that also.
Oh, you want a window seat?

...

I'm pretty sick of this business model.

[/Rant.]
Very true.
The irony about it is that STO is a game set in a time where money doesn't even exist or has no value for humans anymore.

Seriously, their business practices, better said their behaviour towards us, is anything but inspiring confidence.
I just cant believe anything they say anymore.
They change thing nobody has been asking for and on the other hand they do everything to veer away from Star Trek. It's sad because this game really has so much potential, and it could have been glorious if the people in charge would have been interested in making a Star Trek game in the first place.



Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post
It's simple enough.

The Wells-class was the straw that broke the camel's back for PWE's troubled relationship with CBS.

PWE knows (whether or not they've been explicitly informed by CBS) that there is no way CBS will renew their license, so PWE is trying to cash out as quickly as possible.
IThis is the first time i read somthing about this, do youhave any further information?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post
This is why the Terms of Use were changed, at the same time lifetime subs were made to guarantee instant full veteran rewards, to dictate that there is no "implicit or explicit" guarantee to the game's survival as a going concern.

PWE knows its days are numbered.

Which is really a shame, tbh. STO had a lot of potential, and could have been hugely lucrative. However much the guys in Beijing made off the lockbox nonsense, they could have made far more had they actually run the game in good faith.

I am curious though. Does anyone know exactly when the license is due to come to term?
I'm sorry i don't know anything about that.

So if that's true then the days of STO are numbered...
Well i don't know what to think, on one hand it would be a shame for the playerbase, this game won't get a chance to become really good.
On the other hand it would be a blessing for Star Trek, the devs wouldn't be able to disgrace Star Trek anymore.
The only thing i hope is that a more competent company will make a Star Trek game that is more true to Star Trek and SOT will be remembered as a blopper in Star Trek history.


Thank you for reading or ignoring, depending on who you are.

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,207
# 13
10-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Hmm - not saying that I'm convinced, but selling off high-price subscriptions could be seen as a pretty dodgy practice if there IS any danger of the licence not being renewed.

As I said though, not convinced - STO makes money, CBS gets a share, and it's not like there are any other active Trek income-revenues out there (since Paramount have the movies contract).
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 447
# 14
10-10-2012, 08:49 AM
The Star Trek franchise is arguably one of the most valuable in existence. Whatever pithy remittance PWE sends CBS, selling lockboxes to a playerbase probably in the five digits, is nothing compared to what the preservation of the franchise is worth to CBS.

When the franchise isn't drawing income, it's still money in the bank, just like any other asset.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,717
# 15
10-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post
Unsubstantiated claims
Just about covers everything you wrote!

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 447
# 16
10-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Why are you posting? I mean, is there a point to coming in here and trying to argue that what I said is likely and possible?

My claims aren't unsubstantiated either, go read the terms of lifetime subscriber, or pull the old version from Google cache. So why claim they are?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,717
# 17
10-10-2012, 09:17 AM
OK then let's examine your argument if you really want to make an issue of it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post
PWE's troubled relationship with CBS.
Source please:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post
PWE knows (whether or not they've been explicitly informed by CBS) that there is no way CBS will renew their license, so PWE is trying to cash out as quickly as possible.
Source or proof, the production of documentation from CBS specifically stating they will not renew the licence should suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post
This is why the Terms of Use were changed
Source please:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post
PWE knows its days are numbered.
Source please:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post

I am curious though. Does anyone know exactly when the license is due to come to term?
So you know all of the above but don't even know when the licence expires. Hmm ROFL

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,764
# 18
10-10-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree with all points in this thread except the assumption that CBS somehow cares about ST canon beyond some odd sticking points.

Why licence being revoked is less likely, is because there's no alternative studio. EA/Bioware just got their SWTOR asses kicked. Acti-Blizzard are too busy trying to save D3 and WoW. And all other companies have their own F2P offerings.

The most I can see is Riot Games (LoL fame) deciding to branch into MMOs... Which is... kinda unlikely as they've just had Dungeon Rampage launched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,493
# 19
10-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post
Why are you posting? I mean, is there a point to coming in here and trying to argue that what I said is likely and possible?
He's posting for the same reason I am.
To point out that you are making stuff up, and fabricating a conspiracy story.

What you have written is indeed a terrible and scary scenario. It's also a complete Fabrication. Perhaps substantiated by some "facts", but you are making up a conspiracy story about the terrible PWE overlords. Assuming facts to substantiate you fictitious claim, and just generally throwing fear around in order to make your ridiculous idea seem like it has merit.

That's why he posted I imagine.
Same reason I just did.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,207
# 20
10-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
He's posting for the same reason I am.
To point out that you are making stuff up, and fabricating a conspiracy story.

What you have written is indeed a terrible and scary scenario. It's also a complete Fabrication. Perhaps substantiated by some "facts", but you are making up a conspiracy story about the terrible PWE overlords. Assuming facts to substantiate you fictitious claim, and just generally throwing fear around in order to make your ridiculous idea seem like it has merit.

That's why he posted I imagine.
Same reason I just did.
Well, to be fair - it's highly improbable, but not entirely impossible considering the current economic climate.

Anyway, as everyone else has stated - burden of proof falls to he who makes the claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 AM.