Republic Veteran
# 1 The Great Debate
10-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Who's better: Picard or Kirk

You get one paragraph to state your case. One paragraph is equal to 4-5 sentences.

The next person can either rebut or support the previous poster or they may state their own case.

Keep it civil.

My entry:
Kirk. He was a man who understood that sometimes you had to fight in order to protect his ideals. Even though he was more likely to fight than Picard he was no less disappointed about fighting. Kirk's humanity kept him grounded to the fact that fighting was the least favorable course of action but sometimes the only course of action.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
10-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Picard was the better captain. His established behavior and his tough leading made him the refined man he is. When in the field of combat, he can be reluctant to hold a phaser, but he'll do it, and my, is he a good shot. This video speaks on his behalf, as well.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
10-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Picard was a peacetime captain. His challenges more frequently involved diplomatic minutiae than open battle. It's difficult for a captain crew to distinguish themselves in peacetime, but it's worth noting that on more than one occasion he utterly failed to return fire on a hostile threat. He was, however, successful against greater threats than those faced by Kirk, and despite his occasional failure to meet threats, and the greatest tactical failures of his crew occurred in his absence.