Ensign
# 1 Veteran Rewards a Misnomer
10-10-2012, 04:20 AM
Imagine this scenario:

Quote:
On launch day, you purchased a Lifetime Sub to Star Trek Online. You played for five minutes, and said to yourself, "Well. That was a waste." You uninstalled the game and didn't play it again for 1000 days. You then decided you'd give it another try, maybe after all this time they've changed it for the better. You install it, and WHAM! Your character, which has not left the tutorial, has all the Veteran Rewards.
Or this scenario:

Quote:
On launch day, you sign up monthly. You play all day, really enjoy yourself, then that evening go out for dinner and get hit by a car. You're in a coma for 1000 days. You wake up, go home, log in again, only to discover that your account has been drawing fifteen bucks a month the whole time you've been in the hospital. You have all the veteran rewards, even though you haven't played a day since day one.
In both scenarios, the player hasn't done anything to earn these rewards in terms of gameplay. They haven't been playing. They've shelled out cash, either in a lump sum or slowly over time. Yet they get the Veteran Rewards.

What does it all mean?

It means that Veteran Rewards, in this and all MMOs, have always been rewards for money invested, not time spent in-game. You get them whether you play for five minutes a month or five hours a day.

When you look at it like that, this most recent move by Cryptic makes perfect sense. The person has laid out the money for the lifetime sub. Why make them wait for what they've paid for? They're going to get it regardless of how much or how often they play.

It also means that the Veteran Rewards suffer from being incorrectly named. Naming them Veteran Rewards implies that the reward is for investing time, which, as we have just demonstrated, is false. It's about invested money, not time. In this writer's opinion they should be named something else, something that implies the player has elected to support Cryptic with their dollars.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
10-10-2012, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoffiling View Post
Imagine this scenario:

Or this scenario:

In both scenarios, the player hasn't done anything to earn these rewards in terms of gameplay. They haven't been playing. They've shelled out cash, either in a lump sum or slowly over time. Yet they get the Veteran Rewards.

What does it all mean?

It means that Veteran Rewards, in this and all MMOs, have always been rewards for money invested, not time spent in-game. You get them whether you play for five minutes a month or five hours a day.

When you look at it like that, this most recent move by Cryptic makes perfect sense. The person has laid out the money for the lifetime sub. Why make them wait for what they've paid for? They're going to get it regardless of how much or how often they play.

It also means that the Veteran Rewards suffer from being incorrectly named. Naming them Veteran Rewards implies that the reward is for investing time, which, as we have just demonstrated, is false. It's about invested money, not time. In this writer's opinion they should be named something else, something that implies the player has elected to support Cryptic with their dollars.

There are plenty veteran reward programs in MMOs and I don't recall any of them giving out the rewards to any schmuck that coughs up 200$ for instant access to all of them. And these are all sub based with no lifetime subs available in any of them. They have this little thing called integrity, which PWE/Crytpic just lost.
Captain
# 3
10-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Quote:
What does it all mean?
You have a problem with people who paid real cash for those rewards, and thus earned them by supporting the game in their own way?

Quote:
It means that Veteran Rewards, in this and all MMOs, have always been rewards for money invested, not time spent in-game.
The rewards for time spent in game are fleet ships and weapons. Dilithium traded for Zen so you can buy awesome cstore ships. STF rewards, like the borg, MACO and Omega Force sets. There are plenty of rewards for actually playing the game, but the catch is that you have to engage in the right gameplay to earn them.

The veteran rewards are the only things you have to pay real cash over time or in a lump sum in order to gain. And guess what? They're not that amazing. They're okay, but hardly "uber" gamebreakers. The best rewards are earned by playing the game.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
10-10-2012, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
You have a problem with people who paid real cash for those rewards, and thus earned them by supporting the game in their own way?
Can't you say the same thing for people who shell out for the LTS now?

Quote:
The rewards for time spent in game are fleet ships and weapons. Dilithium traded for Zen so you can buy awesome cstore ships. STF rewards, like the borg, MACO and Omega Force sets. There are plenty of rewards for actually playing the game, but the catch is that you have to engage in the right gameplay to earn them.

The veteran rewards are the only things you have to pay real cash over time or in a lump sum in order to gain. And guess what? They're not that amazing. They're okay, but hardly "uber" gamebreakers. The best rewards are earned by playing the game.
I agree with everything you just said here. I think there's a lot of crying over this sale and it really makes me scratch my head. I looked over the vet rewards and nothing there screams at me 'THROW DOWN $200 RFN.'

Free respec? I can get a free respec by just grinding dilithium for a bit and converting it to zen. Skill point boost? All my characters are max level and if I were to make a new character, the presence or absence of a meagre skill boost would not affect my gameplay experience one iota. Free character slot? I've still got three from when I bought it off the store. Free ship slot? Haven't found a need for it on any of my characters. The Captain's Yacht? I've already got a runabout sooo... Entry into the Captain's Table. Is that worth $200? Unique costume options. Again, worth $200? Fireworks? (Are you sensing what my next question will be?)

About the only thing that is at all appealing is the monthly 500 zen stipend and the fact all my characters and any future characters I make will have stuff like a full inventory and bank space available. That's... it.
Career Officer
# 5
10-10-2012, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Imagine this scenario:

Or this scenario:

What does it all mean?

I've not said much on the issue, and am unlikely to purchase a Lifetime subscription - it's not financially viable at the moment sadly.

But as I said in another post, in another thread, I can't help but think that it would've been prudent to 'divide' the lifetime subscription:

Lifetime Subscription: Referring to players who purchased a lifetime subscription from, say, 1st January 2012 onward.

Veteran Lifetime Subscribers: Anyone who purchased a lifetime subscription before December 31st 2011.

Or simply Silver Lifetime Subscribers and Gold lifetime Subscribers, the gold ones being the veterans.

And Veteran rewards could therefore continue as a stand-alone reward scheme that applies only to the Veteran Lifetime Subscribers players.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Republic Veteran
# 6
10-10-2012, 05:18 AM
I agree these shouldn't be called Veteran rewards in one respect but usually people who are intelligent don't buy something if they don't intend on getting to know what they're doing anyway. Still premature to call one a veteran for investing money.

However I feel this move is excellent in killing the Elitist Snob club that seems to have ensued in Star Trek Online; where some people seem to think that being in the game longer makes them especially and extraordinarily special. Because it doesn't. A newer player of a month in many cases knows more than someone who's played 1,000 days and made the same mistakes. I just feel that this has woken up some of those people to this fact.

Thus this move should be welcomed. The only reward for players having been around a long time should be their experience, expertise, knowledge and love of the game itself. Not a starship or perks that allow them to 1up themselves over everyone else. This way anyone willing to support PWE/Cryptic ..... can do so and feel like they're truly get something back for it.
Career Officer
# 7
10-10-2012, 05:25 AM
The offer isn't so much the problem to me it's the term 1000 day vet reward where you've been subscribed for 1000 days. A new LTS has not subscribed for 1000 days. The very definition makes this change invalid and yes I'm dotting i's and crossing t's but if you were to do something against the terms of service in STO you can bet Cryptic would be all over you.

They should have released the veteran ship as a LTS reward - that is the deal we're getting so what then do we get for subscribing 1000 days? An extra ship slot and a free 1respec, trivial compared to the almighty title change!

Another option would be to have said up front all LTS are entitled to the vet rewards. Like with 100-400 days and the captain's table (was LTS only then vets got it later).

It's simply a poor handling job by Cryptic but that's what they do best, how ironic.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsilverwings1 View Post
The offer isn't so much the problem to me it's the term 1000 day vet reward where you've been subscribed for 1000 days. A new LTS has not subscribed for 1000 days. The very definition makes this change invalid and yes I'm dotting i's and crossing t's but if you were to do something against the terms of service in STO you can bet Cryptic would be all over you.

They should have released the veteran ship as a LTS reward - that is the deal we're getting so what then do we get for subscribing 1000 days? An extra ship slot and a free 1respec, trivial compared to the almighty title change!

Another option would be to have said up front all LTS are entitled to the vet rewards. Like with 100-400 days and the captain's table (was LTS only then vets got it later).

It's simply a poor handling job by Cryptic but that's what they do best, how ironic.

Yeap......Its hard to be a community when the very thing your being a community for seems to go out of its way to divide the community. lol
Career Officer
# 9
10-10-2012, 05:36 AM
The rewards should definitely be renamed as the OP states. Veteran implies time spent, by definition this is what it has always meant. But now Cryptic has changed it, it is no longer about time spent, and Veteran doesn't apply. They should take the Veteran out of it, it's meaningless, it needs to be called something else related to what it really is, cause it ain't about time spent anymore, they completely took that away with one fell swoop.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Career Officer
# 10
10-10-2012, 05:38 AM
The time does still apply as only LTS gets them all in bulk, the subscribers still have to wait that many days per tier.