Starfleet Veteran
# 11
10-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
The Runabout does not have 2 decks. The floor of the Lounge is at most a meter above the exterior of the ventral hull.
It doesn't need two decks. There's ~2.5 meters of space between the lounge and the transporter that's hidden under the nacelle pylons.

See the door in the aft compartment? That leads to this room, seen in Timescape, with four bunks:
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...eping_area.jpg

Last edited by hevach; 10-10-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Career Officer
# 12
10-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
It doesn't need two decks. There's ~2.5 meters of space between the lounge and the transporter that's hidden under the nacelle pylons.

See the door in the aft compartment? That leads to this room, seen in Timescape, with four bunks:
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...eping_area.jpg
Huh. In DS9, that's usually an "engineering" type area. Guess I forgot they showed bunks in Time Scape.
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
10-10-2012, 01:39 PM
DS9 did kind of forget what was back there, didn't they? They talked about labs and cargo bays, too. Even a second deck couldn't give them all of that stuff.

Of course, magical concept art makes everything true:
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...lar_Design.jpg

So I guess arguably anything odd about the ship can be explained away by that middle module letting the ship be whatever the plot demands. Kind of makes sense for the role runabouts played until the Defiant came in.

Hey, maybe that's why they can fire both of their one phaser and 8 of their 2 torpedoes.
Career Officer
# 14
10-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Of course, magical concept art makes everything true:
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...lar_Design.jpg
I'm a fan of this concept of the Runabout. The folks over at maquis forces international have created quite a few deck plans, showing different configurations, and not just about moving chairs around. My favorite being the inclusion of a dual Argo-vehicle bay. As a concept, I think they've done a good job to realize the potential.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Career Officer
# 15
10-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
I'm a fan of this concept of the Runabout. The folks over at maquis forces international have created quite a few deck plans, showing different configurations, and not just about moving chairs around. My favorite being the inclusion of a dual Argo-vehicle bay. As a concept, I think they've done a good job to realize the potential.
Wow, I'm really speechless. Those diagrams are amazing.
Member since November 2009... I think.
(UFP) Ragnarök Fleet - Logistics Division Vice Admiral T'Phira; Captain Selena; Captain Altecha; Captain K'Kera; Lieutenant Aydihe Tefx; Subcommander S'ena
(KDF) Lieutenant General Vokno (aka Lady Vokno); Lieutenant General Raylene
Captain
# 16
10-10-2012, 03:34 PM
a shame we cant get interiors to match all of this. I would love if the runabout interior included all of the back areas as well as the flyer interior in general.
Captain
# 17
10-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Where are the Bunk (beds)? Man, that TNG Runabout didn't have anywhere for the crew to sleep? That's gotta suck.
The soft-canon (DS-9 Technical Manual) of the Runabout is that they has 4 interchangeable modules in the amid ship area (2 on either side). There could be crew sleeping areas, science lab modules, cargo modules, more extensive sensor pallet etc.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 18
10-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Runabouts were originally designed to be modular. There is a warp sled that hugs everything, the cockpit pod, the aft pod, and a center pod. Each of those was supposed to be able to be swapped out depending on the mission/purpose.

Most floorplans for the Danube class show a larger area in the rear pod, usually with a small conference table. But they vary widely in the middle. I've seen bunks. I've seen science labs. I've seen cargo pods. etc. etc.

Done by Drex for the DS9 tech manual.

They never really showed any of that on the show, but it's designed/built with that in mind, and makes a lot of sense.

In terms of scale, I think of the Runabout like a small private jet. The Delta Flyer is like a cargo van.

ETA: Sorry, finished reading the thread, seems you guys already caught that note. I agree that the concept is sound and does a good job explaining much of the variability.
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Last edited by tacofangs; 10-10-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
10-10-2012, 05:39 PM
So:
  • Shuttlecraft ~ Sedan
  • Runabout ~ Rockstar Tour Bus/Super RV
  • Delta Flyer ~ Regular RV

Raptr profile
Captain
# 20
10-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenfelix69 View Post
whats bigger, the delta flyer or a runabout?
Danube Runabout: 23.1 meters (DS9 Tech Manual)
Delta Flyer: 15.1 meters (seen frequently during 'VOY' from Season 5 and onwards)

For some of the other shuttlecraft (may or may not exist ingame):

Debuted during TNG:
Type 6: 6 meters (TNG Tech Manual, seen occasionally during 'TNG')
Type 7: 8.5 meters (TNG Tech Manual, seen occasionally during 'TNG')
Type 15: 3.6 meters (TNG Tech Manual, seen occasionally during 'TNG')

Debuted during DS9:
Type 10: 9.64 meters (DS9 Tech Manual, DS9 ep 'The Sound of Her Voice')
Type 18: 4.5 meters (DS9 Tech Manual, DS9 ep 'The Search Part 2')

Debuted during VOY:
Type 8: 6 meters (seen on occasion during 'VOY')
Type 9: 9.17 meters (seen on occasion during 'VOY')

TNG Movie-era:
Type 11: 14.64 meters (seen in 'Insurrection')

Older shuttlecraft:
Type 1: 7.32 meters (seen during the run of 'TOS')
Type 3: 8.93 meters (seen in 'The Final Frontier')

All in all, it's safe to assume that the 'Danube Runabout' is the largest of Starfleet's shuttlecraft arsenal, followed by the Delta Flyer (which began as an unofficial Starfleet design, as a complement/replacement to the aging Type 6 and Type 9 shuttlecraft aboard the starship Voyager). I'd say in terms of which shuttlecraft is most modern, the Type 11 is likely to be relatively standard issue (unless replaced by 2409).

Still waiting on the SC-4 variant of the "Type 9" which was seen as Admiral Janeway's executive shuttle in VOY's 'Endgame'. That shuttle existed in 2404, so there's no reason to doubt that it may exist in STO's time period.

Last edited by meurik; 10-10-2012 at 06:04 PM.