Career Officer
# 21
10-10-2012, 05:32 PM
The Runabout's size is pretty well established... in the episode "Playing God," Jadzia states that the ship is 14 meters wide. With one dimension given, you just have to measure the studio model to find the length, 23M.
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
10-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by direphoenix View Post
So:
  • Shuttlecraft ~ Sedan
  • Runabout ~ Rockstar Tour Bus/Super RV
  • Delta Flyer ~ Regular RV
Delta Flyer's more of a van. There's a second compartment, which almost no shuttles appear to have, but it's not that big. The Argo would probably be more in RV range, it clearly has a large second compartment, but is still smaller than a runabout.
Empire Veteran
# 23
10-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Then we have the Mission Scoutship from Insurrection.
Memory Alpha has it listed at 24 meters, which makes it slighlty longer than a Runabout, but in it's appearance is definately wider.
Like the Runabout, far less a shuttle, more it's own ship capable of extended missions.
Perhaps that's why it's called a Scoutship?
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Career Officer
# 24
10-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Delta Flyer's more of a van. There's a second compartment, which almost no shuttles appear to have, but it's not that big. The Argo would probably be more in RV range, it clearly has a large second compartment, but is still smaller than a runabout.
It has the aft compartment, but it has the bio bed in the wall that pulls out. You have to figure that means the depth of that wall would be at least 6-7ft right? And it doesn't collapse b/c they stored 7 in it as a morgue at one point.
Rihannsu
# 25 Captain's Yacht
10-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Some great info here on the runabouts, I especially like the floorplans.

They're impressive ships, I always enjoyed seeing them in use in DS9, it's a shame we never saw their modular design design on screen, and it's quite ironic that the only episode to show the aft compartment of the Danube class is a TNG episode not DS9, but a great episode nonetheless.

The only larger (modern) auxiliary craft that I know of are the already mentioned Argo from Nemesis, Scoutship from Insurrection, and the Captain's Yachts from the Enterprise D and E.

I love the design of the Sovereign class Captain's Yacht, sleek, fast, it looks like a modern luxury motor yacht in space, and likely the reverse holds true, take the nacelles off, berth it in a marina, and it wouldn't look out of place.

Also whereas most Starfleet ships, shuttles and runabouts are designed for work and utility, the captains yachts are designed to offer more luxury while still being capable of performing (mainly diplomatic) missions.

I like seeing luxury/recreation ships in Science Fiction, "all work and no play" can get dull after a time.

Finally, another favourite, from the dark side.
MikeWard1701 (Special Envoy)

facebook twitter Steam STOwiki Raptr - feel free to follow/friend me : )
Starfleet Veteran
# 26
10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Quote:
The only larger (modern) auxiliary craft that I know of are the already mentioned Argo from Nemesis, Scoutship from Insurrection, and the Captain's Yachts from the Enterprise D and E.
The Type-11 from Insurrection was also pretty big. The cockpit set was a redressed Danube, and it's about the same length, but shorter and more streamlined.
Rihannsu
# 27
10-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
The Type-11 from Insurrection was also pretty big. The cockpit set was a redressed Danube, and it's about the same length, but shorter and more streamlined.
Indeed the Type-11 is a large shuttle, and (excluding the Delta Flyer) is probably Starfleets largest in general service.

I like the Type 11, its design complements that of the Sovereign, and it appears to use design elements from the Captains Yacht and the Danube Runabout.

Still waiting for Cryptic to add it to STO.

PS: Heres a handy size comparison chart.
MikeWard1701 (Special Envoy)

facebook twitter Steam STOwiki Raptr - feel free to follow/friend me : )