Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
So I noticed the MACO speeds have increased quite noticably. Folks are talking about it on zone, even. It's in the patch notes (yes I looked at them too).

That's a nice little benefit.

So why are KHG still capped at warp 9.97 out of slipstream, and warp 20 with slipstream? Feds have about 50% on top of that.

I'm not advocating some fed/KDF parity. I'm saying this is a bit of a biased update. I can't participate in "Tour" with a KDF ship. It's too damn slow! I don't know of anybody else that bothers to "Tour" in KDF either. They just do it with FED and transfer the credits over.

These KHG are the most advanced, most recent, Klingon technology in collaboration with the Feds to fight borg. Yet they're still flying at 1980's speeds. You can make all the arguments you like about KDF being less efficient and more brute force -- and I'd agree. But they would BRUTE FORCE their way to higher speeds. Less efficient reactor shields reducing lifespan of the crew by 5 years? Sure, as long as we can kill the borg better NOW.

They would get it done. The aggressors always are on the leading edge of warfare technology. They have to be, or they are no longer aggressors. They're just dead nuisances. Hardly reflective of the KDF in this game's storyline.
Rihannsu
# 2
10-10-2012, 07:43 PM
MACO engines have always been faster in Sector Space, that's because they come with a buff to the driver coil skill. They aren't the only engines with this buff though, Borg Engines also have a driver coil buff. You can also increase your speed by manually specing points into driver coils. Judging by the speeds you listed, you probably aren't specing enough into Driver Coils to begin with. Even without my MACO or Borg engines I can get above warp 10 normally or warp 22+ in QSD.
Captain
# 3
10-10-2012, 07:55 PM
That's a misleading counter argument. That's not the issue. Driver Coil states right there will NOT let you go faster than warp 10 unless using special engines. Well I go faster than warp 10 by a long shot on my fed with MACO. I go faster on borg engines, which allow faster than warp 10. But switching between borg and KHG on the exact same character, I'm stuck behind a cap.

It's not a matter of skill points because you can see this in effect with different engines on the same character build.
Captain
# 4
10-10-2012, 08:15 PM
It's because the MACO engines specifically say 'While in sector space, your Asynchronous Warp Field allows a movement speed exceeding Warp 14. The maximum speed is modified by your Driver Coil skill.'

The KHG set does not do this. The KHG is not supposed to be the same as the MACO set. They are two different sets, with two different abilities. The KHG engine has different flight speed, turn rate, power settings, and special abilities as compared to the MACO engine.

The KHG engine has more stats and abilities that are useful when in actual combat, unlike the MACO engine. If you want speed and you're Klingon, just swap in the Borg engine when in sector space.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Captain
# 5
10-10-2012, 08:28 PM
It's too much of a hassle to keep the borg engines on me at all times so I can swap them out because cryptic has an anti-KDF bias. You know how far I get on 30 seconds of slipstream? One sector. Not one sector BLOCK, but exactly one sector, to the line that divides it from the next. At these speeds it takes many minutes to cross a single 3-sector block. It's hideously slow in ALL regards. I want the perks of my end-game gear to allow my KDF to get around faster. It just takes too damn long!

And NO, I'm not saying I want them identical. I'm saying I want equal consideration, beause so far there is none on KDF side of things.
Captain
# 6
10-10-2012, 08:34 PM
What? You can't use up 1 inventory slot to keep an assimilated subtranswarp engine around? Wow dude. That's not a hassle, you're just lazy. The KHG set is stupidly strong. And I mean STUPIDLY strong. The full set gives you great stats. Compare that to the MACO set, and there is no comparison.

Just carry a borg engine around. Your KHG set is greatly powerful in combat, so you just switch them out. It's not hard, I do that all the time.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
# 7
10-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
It's too much of a hassle to keep the borg engines on me at all times so I can swap them out because cryptic has an anti-KDF bias. You know how far I get on 30 seconds of slipstream? One sector. Not one sector BLOCK, but exactly one sector, to the line that divides it from the next. At these speeds it takes many minutes to cross a single 3-sector block. It's hideously slow in ALL regards. I want the perks of my end-game gear to allow my KDF to get around faster. It just takes too damn long!

And NO, I'm not saying I want them identical. I'm saying I want equal consideration, beause so far there is none on KDF side of things.
What in-combat bonuses do you think would be an appropriate consideration for the MACO engines in return?

You know, seeing as how the KHG Engines have in-combat bonuses that the Developer's anti-Fed bias led them to leave off of the MACO engine.

Captain
# 8
10-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Trolling is unbecoming. There's a sticky post about it in the forums. Check it out.
Captain
# 9
10-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
Trolling is unbecoming. There's a sticky post about it in the forums. Check it out.
Nobody is trolling you. I keep the borg engines in my inventory and swap for them whenever I'm in sector space. I use Omega force engines in combat on my Fed character. I don't consider it a hassle. You're just lazy.
Captain
# 10
10-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Not you, ussultimatum.