Captain
From the recent patch and the soon to follow patch to the patch we can see that cryptic has it's eye on this ability. So I ask the following questions

1) Is EPtS the best EPtX ability?
Yes, it is the only one that has a secondary effect lasting the entire duration. I mean even if you valued Auxillery power more than shield power you would be better off using EPtS and just shifting the power in your default settings. There are very few reasons why you would want any of the others.

2) Is EPtS the best shield tanking ability in the game?
Without a doubt. It is the only one that provides 100% up time with two copies, provides resists, a small heal, and indirectly a heal over time by increases your shields natural regen rate which can be significant.

3) Is EPtS required in current endgame PvE?
For the most part I would say yes. Some ships with odd setups can survive without it but it is still suboptimal not to take it anyway.

4) Is EPtS required in current endgame PvP?
From the outcry on the forums I would guess this is true as well.

How can it be fixed? I would say the best way would be to reduce the duration of the resist to lasting 5 seconds as previously suggested by others while at the same time increasing the natural resistance granted by shield power to cap out at 50% up from the current 35%. The only catch would be that the regeneration buff should either be moved to auxillery power or just removed.

I mean can anyone honestly think that EPtS is a 'balanced ability' compared to others? But at the same time the game in it's current state requires it to be overpowered.
Captain
# 2
10-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I would beg to differ. EPtS is not overpowered persay, just powerful. The only thing that could make it overpowered are engis in cruisers, since we have the ability to have enough bonus power that even EPtS1 can get our shield power level up to almost 100 (sometimes over depending on ship and skills and traits). But at the same time, it's kind of a necessity for us to be able to do that, since we don't really have a ton of firepower, so we need our tankage.

But if you don't mind, I will answer your 4 questions.

1). Yes and No. It has the most situations in which it is useful, but it is far from the best. I often find myself valuing EPtW (since it increases damage output and synergizes nicely with EPS flow and Nadion inversion) in some cases, esp when I need to increase my burst ability. EPtE is probably the most useless, but it still has some situations that it can be valuable. And EPtAux is amazing for healing. Need more be said. So in answer, there cannot be an answer to your question.

2). I would put that as a toss-up between EPtS and TSS. They both have uses. EPtS is a solo heal. It only helps you. So it has it's uses. TSS however can be used to help yourself and an ally. It gives shield durability, shield regen, and a shield heal. And you can share it.

3). Yes. YES. For the love of god yes. Can save MAJOR rear with that. You pop that and you can survive gates, tac cubes, everything.

4). From my limited PvP experience, it's useful. Not a must have, but useful. It synergizes well with cross-heals and engis in general, so I would say it's at least a nice to have.

And I personally don't see a need to fix it. It's not overpowered, but still powerful enough to make it worth it at almost every rank. Granted 3 is probably a little overkill, but sufficed to say, if I pop EPtS3 and my base power for shields is 50, it goes to well above 100. Which then means my shields never go down. It's fun. But as I said, I see no fix needed.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 3
10-10-2012, 08:33 PM
most damage spikes you get from borg last longer than EPTS. It only does a solid heal once. The effect you're talking about is a damage reduction. Please note the SAME damage reduction can be had by running max shield power. You want to nerf that too? EPTS is a counter to all the BS NPC AI skills you have to put up with, and even then it can't barely handle a fraction of what the AI throws at you. You're running on low shields or no shields most of the time.

You are NOT supposed to be going bare-hulled against AI. Ever. In star trek when your shields go down you're out of the fight. Part of this holds true in this game. If your shields go down, FAR too many weapons the AI use rip your hull to pieces in short order, either by having BS kinetic damage when they shouldn't or by having massive damage against hull.

No, it is not overpowered. Don't bring PvP bias/BS that clouds dev choices into a PvE issue (and the E is everyone, as in this is a gamewide problem).

If you want to nerf it in PvP make a PvP mode. I don't give a rat's. Make that mode have different code branches and different rules. But put some freaking consideration into the storyline, the immersion, the PvE battles. Otherwise this game isn't worth playing.
Empire Veteran
# 4
10-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Let me say this in a clear, simple way:

It is not overpowered.
# 5
10-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Its necessary, but not overpowered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Empire Veteran
# 6
10-10-2012, 10:42 PM
oh no, a call for nerf? You should've discussed with others first
so no, it is not over-powered. It is fine as it is for now.
How to really behave in online forums with developers

Captain
# 7
10-11-2012, 03:57 AM
So even though it gives just as much power as any other EPtX power, has a long lasting secondary effect that none of the others have, and is a stronger heal over time than any other shield heal (aside from possibly extend as I'm not 100% familiar with it's numbers) no one thinks it is overpowered? The shield heal is from increasing shield power that increases regeneration rate with the increased resistance allowing for a stronger effective heal over time btw.

I do agree it is necessary for it to be overpowered with the current design state of the game. But to say that it is not overpowered? Really?
Captain
# 8
10-11-2012, 04:17 AM
It's still underpowered I'n pvp especially epts3
Just about right I'n pve
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
10-11-2012, 04:31 AM
I don't get why anyone cannot see how Op it is?

If it wasn't OP, it was comparable to Emergency Power To Weapons, for example, meaning that if two sides activate the two powers, these should cancel out each other. They don't. EPTW is laughable vs EPTS.
Captain
# 10
10-11-2012, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
I don't get why anyone cannot see how Op it is?

If it wasn't OP, it was comparable to Emergency Power To Weapons, for example, meaning that if two sides activate the two powers, these should cancel out each other. They don't. EPTW is laughable vs EPTS.
---------------------

Eptw is underpowered

But Dps is too high overall compared to defense
Is the larger problem...... I'n engineer and science
Dps is too low already
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse