Commander
# 21
10-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskorya View Post
To answer a poster's question: 'Cos I pulled this from one of my old play by forum sites, and finding Niagara statistics that detailed is really hard to come by, for RP purposes anyway.

However, there is a size difference as pointed out and it can be found on Ex Astris Scientia.

*cough*

Now then. I would be okay with a skin.

So long as the Niagara was available, I'd be quite alright with that. Since I think if we get it, it's more than likely how we'll get it.

But, it'd be odd wouldn't it? Most skins are just simple variations. This one would have a third nacelle. Not even the Cheyenne's alternatives came without their four nacelles. [I don't think, correct me though, I've never had one in-game].
Since You have all the answers *cough, cough* perhaps You should post the information.
Lieutenant
# 22
10-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
The size isn't a problem, the size variation in the Niagara compared with the Ambassador, is in the saucer, the Imperial Class is at least 10 metres shorter than all the other Sovereign* variants.
I'm not concerned with size, my concern is the Niagara's one little feature that sticks out. Her third nacelle. It's why it'd be just odd, as a skin of the Ambassador.

I'd love to see her as her own vessel personally, then I don't have to choose between Ambassador or Niagara, or make some ship with their parts... even if the Niagara is partly made of the Ambassador. Hmmm.

Anyway, that's all. Just her third nacelle really.

Besides size doesn't matter!

In the words of Worf.

"LITTLE?!"
Vice Admiral V'Lal, U.S.S. Nevada
Vice Admiral Ember Calar, U.S.S. Arirang
Lt. General Giselle N'Jeavu, I.K.S. Ka'Vagh
Vice Admiral Tel'ana, R.R.W. Falco Infernus
Career Officer
# 23
10-23-2012, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskorya View Post
To answer a poster's question: 'Cos I pulled this from one of my old play by forum sites, and finding Niagara statistics that detailed is really hard to come by, for RP purposes anyway.
I see. Thanks.

However I'd like to respectfully point out that without any kind of indication where this info comes from it's difficult for other to know what it is and what it isn't.
Those who don't know better might be inclined to just accept it as canon information even though it's actually fan fiction since they have no way to check what the source itself has to say about this material.
I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh and "smart-alecky" because that's not what it's supposed to be.
But just a few weeks ago I had a discussion that actually went in just this direction:
Someone quoted a wiki that had blatantly copied over stuff from DITL and since it was from a wiki that copied it over from ditl (without referencing it) it was more canon than the official "Ships of the Line" calender and the TNG Technical Manual...because stuff on the internet is always true.
I guess I'm a little jaded when it comes to stuff like this.

Anyway, thanks again.
Commander
# 24
10-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Please not another old and ugly ship which was just a cheap and quick build for a szene in ST:NG.

I find the STO Fan Designs like the Odyssey and the Chimera (except for the transformation part) much better. They look more appropriate for the year 2409.
Career Officer
# 25
10-23-2012, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxchristian View Post
Please not another old and ugly ship which was just a cheap and quick build for a scene in ST:NG.

I find the STO Fan Designs like the Odyssey and the Chimera (except for the transformation part) much better. They look more appropriate for the year 2409.
Well, it is a canon ship and has its fans. In addition, we already have the Cheyenne, which is from a related spaceframe family and of similar age. Thus, there is no in-game reason to block the return of the New Orleans, Springfield, etc. classes.

However, I also understand why you'd want more ships appropriate for the current era.
Leipzig University, 1409-2409
Career Officer
# 26
10-23-2012, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woerligen View Post
Well, it is a canon ship and has its fans. In addition, we already have the Cheyenne, which is from a related spaceframe family and of similar age. Thus, there is no in-game reason to block the return of the New Orleans, Springfield, etc. classes.

However, I also understand why you'd want more ships appropriate for the current era.
Fortunately, the two aren't mutually exclusive.
And just like with the Cheyenne, Cryptic can always add hull versions with more modern parts.
In case of the New Orleans, this should also be comparatively easy since she's closely related to the Cheyenne: just use the parts for ships like the Stargazer (sub-)class as additional options.
Sure the nacelles would have to be slightly altered to match the general proportions of the New Orleans model, but otherwise this should be relatively easy to accomplish.
Et voila: a 2409 New Orleans is possible using a relatively cost effective method: reclycling.

I'm sure something similar could be done with the Niagara and say...parts from the Venture (sub-)class.
Lieutenant
# 27
10-23-2012, 10:51 AM
You're Welcome.

I completely understand your view point misterde3.

On to current discussions:

I agree with misterde3. Since the Cheyenne is in game, and comes from said era. There is no reason for the Niagara, or any of her companions to be blocked. If anything they commemorate a brilliant episode of "The Next Generation." I did read in Memory Alpha in regards to the Niagara's construction, and she could very well indeed use parts from the Venture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory Alpha
Jein used the molds he had of the Ambassador-class and the two-foot Galaxy-class studio models to cast parts for the secondary hull and nacelles, respectively. The other parts he built from scratch. The model was from the start constructed as being pre-damaged. Michael Okuda later remarked, "Greg Jein built a number of severely-damaged hulls and parts for the graveyard scene. Greg is one of the unsung heroes of Star Trek. (...) The three-nacelled ship was made by Greg Jein. (...) I remember reminding Greg that Gene didn't approve of odd-numbers of nacelles." [1] The appearance of the class in "Unification I" was stock footage of "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II".
And if we're going to knock on old ships, then don't even look down at the Excelsior, much less the Constitution.
Commander
# 28
10-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxchristian View Post
Please not another old and ugly ship which was just a cheap and quick build for a szene in ST:NG.

I totally disagree. Odyssey ...U-G-L-Y as sin!
The Chimera...eh, it's not too bad, and certainly better looking than that whale....er, the Odyssey.
But, I guess that's why they say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by paragon92518; 10-23-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Lieutenant
# 29
10-24-2012, 05:01 PM
I have little intention of getting the Chimera, it bothers me greatly by its design. I'd much prefer to have seen the Legacy-class, or Century-class as alternatives now those are two beautiful fan made vessels.

Back on topic:

How would one, if the Niagara per say came as a skin. How do you present that, if you are Cryptic/PWE. She's got three nacelles versus the Ambassador's two.

On top of this, what consoles would you offer the Ambassador/Niagara and do you add two alternative skins to aid in this new 'kit-bashing.'
Captain
# 30
10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Since the Niagara is a three-nacelle design, would it work as a Deep Space Science Vessel?
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q