Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,545
I was reading up on the Patch notes (since I just got kicked from the server anyways by said patch), and I came upon this.

"Emergency Power to Shields has been added to the cooldown category shared by Extend Shields and Reverse Shield Polarity."

What.

The.

#$%&.

So shield tanking is not allowed anymore? That used to be a viable anti-burst survival method. EPtS + RSP/ES + TT1. Um. HELLO???

Soooo... yeeeah. WTF????
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,536
# 2
10-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
So shield tanking is not allowed anymore? That used to be a viable anti-burst survival method. EPtS + RSP/ES + TT1. Um. HELLO???

Soooo... yeeeah. WTF????
Ridiculous hyperbole aside, it brings the shield powers more in line to their intended purposes.

Anti-Burst survival method: RSP. It's a panic button. That's what you hit when you're getting hit with massive spike damage.

EPtS is more along the lines of sustained shield tanking.

You can still shield tank, you just can't stack the deck in your favor anymore by firing every possible shield power at once.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 273
# 3
10-10-2012, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
Ridiculous hyperbole aside, it brings the shield powers more in line to their intended purposes.

Anti-Burst survival method: RSP. It's a panic button. That's what you hit when you're getting hit with massive spike damage.

EPtS is more along the lines of sustained shield tanking.

You can still shield tank, you just can't stack the deck in your favor anymore by firing every possible shield power at once.
You also can't focus on helping other people out who are in a tight spot in PvE/PvP with ES as it puts EPtS on a 15 sec cooldown, and EPtS does the same to it and RSP.

Oh, and firing every shield power at once is generally suicidal anyways, as blowing many cooldowns will usually lead to a guaranteed death on your part. Cryptic has kicked the cruisers hard in the genitals this time around.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,556
# 4
10-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair114 View Post
You also can't focus on helping other people out who are in a tight spot in PvE/PvP with ES as it puts EPtS on a 15 sec cooldown, and EPtS does the same to it and RSP.

Oh, and firing every shield power at once is generally suicidal anyways, as blowing many cooldowns will usually lead to a guaranteed death on your part. Cryptic has kicked the cruisers hard in the genitals this time around.
this affects all ships that use RSP and EPtS...so also escorts will be easier targets. It also diminishes crossheal power, which was the cause for 1 hour PVP matches.

as i see it, those changes do not really affect PVE gameplay as much as PVP. And for PVP it means less durable ships and less crossheal, which is good imho...shortens the matches.
Go pro or go home
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 321
# 5
10-10-2012, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
this affects all ships that use RSP and EPtS...so also escorts will be easier targets. It also diminishes crossheal power, which was the cause for 1 hour PVP matches.

as i see it, those changes do not really affect PVE gameplay as much as PVP. And for PVP it means less durable ships and less crossheal, which is good imho...shortens the matches.
it affects pve gameplay significantly. getting massive amounts of incoming damage it doesn't matter whether it's pve or pvp, shield heals save you...or they did. always stuck EPtS in the ensign slot on every ship because it was the only thing really worthwhile to put there.

now worthless...no...less than worthless because it starts a cd on RSP which is a far better heal that EPtS 1. shield tanking = toast, shield healing an ally = toast.

so you're not seeing things very clearly at all are you? only looking at one aspect, PvP.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 6
10-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Escorts were tanking too much, that's a fact. Killing one requires a tremendous amount of combined skills and an excellent knowledge of the sci powers, including the right time to use the SNB. Now it will be a bit easier. Not much but a bit. Killing a permabuffed escort will still be tedious as hell but it'll be easier to achieve. And there's still a lot of nerf to do to the escort tanking.

It won't affect pve much, since a good cruiser captain will heal you no matter what.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 321
# 7
10-10-2012, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Escorts were tanking too much, that's a fact. Killing one requires a tremendous amount of combined skills and an excellent knowledge of the sci powers, including the right time to use the SNB. Now it will be a bit easier. Not much but a bit. Killing a permabuffed escort will still be tedious as hell but it'll be easier to achieve. And there's still a lot of nerf to do to the escort tanking.

It won't affect pve much, since a good cruiser captain will heal you no matter what.
BS. hmm, let me count how many heals that have been thrown at me in pugs...while i'm tanking. less than 20. kept my ships alive by shield tanking since torp vs hull torp wins especially in estf's.

don't know what brand of logic you and baudl are smoking...must be the same brand the devs use though. rose colored glasses, everything's fine since the games all about PvP isn't it? pugs always make the perfect team eh? 4 randoms you can rely on...

it's a farce of a nerf and engineers especially gain nothing from it and only lose out.

devs want this game simple, everyone in escorts, everyone a tac.
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 471
# 8
10-10-2012, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspacex64 View Post
devs want this game simple, everyone in escorts, everyone a tac.
I dont believe they do, unfortunatly the game they have created favors escorts and tactical captains.

We all know this game is 95% about the damage you can deal. Until the devs come up with a way to change that tac captains in escorts are going to be the most effective class and ship to play with.

The optional objective in Cure Space was designed to try to make something other than dps useful. Unfortunatly you can simply nuke everything and still complete it. If it were changed so that the Kang started at 50% hull and had to end at over 75% to complete the optional it would be better. However I'm not convinced the programming is available with this game engine to even do something that simple.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,556
# 9
10-10-2012, 05:00 AM
you may disagree with us, but PVE is pretty easy even without massive heals available.

you can still run 2 copies of EPtS1 with high efficency...i hardly use rsp during an elite stf anyway and since i tank in my cruiser i do not need ES.

it is true that this game favours DPS, especially the elite stf optionals, but to have a cruiser that can tank the gate and tac cube while escorts hit on it is a huge benefit. That was not affected by the last patch...actually increased since PH and HE are now seperated.

i think the thing we "smoke" is knowledge and experiance of this game. there was a time when nobody used RSP...more than 1 year ago.
the focus clearly shifted now towards hull tanking and i salute that, clearly favours cruisers...even if you disagree on that aswell.

Cruisers with 6+ engi slots were useless before...this patch made it only more obvious.

PS: if you go ahead and balance the endgame PVE content of a game to fit a grp of total ****** players mixed together and expect to finish all objectives than you should be playing hello kitty online or something...because there that is possible.
yes this game wnats you to think about how you equip your ship and what abilities you use. If any build and ability mix would work what kind of motivation do you have to even waste one thought on your ship?
The combo of RSP, EPtS and ES was too strong in team PVP and made PVE laughable easy...atleast for me, and i'm not the only one thinking that.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 10-10-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 10
10-10-2012, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspacex64 View Post
BS. hmm, let me count how many heals that have been thrown at me in pugs...while i'm tanking. less than 20. kept my ships alive by shield tanking since torp vs hull torp wins especially in estf's.

don't know what brand of logic you and baudl are smoking...must be the same brand the devs use though. rose colored glasses, everything's fine since the games all about PvP isn't it? pugs always make the perfect team eh? 4 randoms you can rely on...

it's a farce of a nerf and engineers especially gain nothing from it and only lose out.

devs want this game simple, everyone in escorts, everyone a tac.
Bad pugs doesn't mean the game has to be build on low level standards. It's named ELITE for a good reason: the best players will be able to complete the mission. Currently this word is a joke. Anything increasing the challenge is welcome.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 PM.