Empire Veteran
# 31
10-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcrayven View Post
Chris from STOked claimed PWE bought STO, Champs, and Neverwinter for the tech as opposed to buying them with any serious thought of making a profit off them; hence, he claimed, the reason that since the PWE takeover was finalized, the only content updates we have really seen have been lockboxes and grind. He also claimed that STO is considered an 'R&D project only' per their most recent financial releases.
They are making experiments for PW on the western maket with Cryptic existing games. That's just a guess though but it's rather blatant: pay to win items, how to make the gambling system looking acceptable for the playerbase, how to adapt time-gating system to make people play on specific hours for a specific amount of time, what kind of farming we like, etc. You see it's a R&D project since they made a lot of changes on these systems.

This game will exist as long as they have new stupid ideas to try out here, and as long as it makes some profit, so I don't mind if it's just "a R&D project", as long as I can play this project. I don't mind either if PW's only goal is to publish a western version of their "LOLOL super fantasy game online". As long as research has to be made STO will survive, in this perspective.

Last edited by diogene0; 10-13-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Ah yes... a season launch wouldn't be the same without a doomsday thread to go along with it.
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
Lt. Commander
# 33
10-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
F2P launched in jan, there was a FE series in feb, plus some smaller events in march and april, season 6 was in july, season season 7 is next month.

so with a 3-4 month gap between major updates, why exactly do you think season 8 will be over a year away?
3/4 month gap for you meybe if your into more grind, for me who has no intrest in another grind that is the startbase update it's been what.......8 months with no single player content......so it's not really to much of a stretch to think season 8 will not appear till late 2013.

And that's assuming season 8 will cater for the games story line and single player missions...who knows, it might be another grind feast....but i'm sure before then about 4 new lockboxes will have come and gone.
Lt. Commander
# 34
10-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Let's not forget that - in addition to the new JJ movie - there's talk about a new series ( according to various sources a new series is even very likely ) .There could be a new ST hype on the way and that would help STO-revenue for sure . I also think PWE doesn't really work on the basis of "income generated = right of existence " but rather appropriates resources according to population in an MMO . That means no cash you spend on ship/tempbox etc.goes to Cryptic but to PWE and they decide how much cash each dev team gets every year .It's a bit similar to the way SOE works : they have/had MMO's with a very small playerbase but didn't have to close those downs because money earned with BIG titles could and would sustain all others
Survivor of Romulus
# 35
10-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Nope. /10char
Survivor of Romulus
# 36
10-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
They are making experiments for PW on the western maket with Cryptic existing games. That's just a guess though but it's rather blatant: pay to win items, how to make the gambling system looking acceptable for the playerbase, how to adapt time-gating system to make people play on specific hours for a specific amount of time, what kind of farming we like, etc. You see it's a R&D project since they made a lot of changes on these systems.

This game will exist as long as they have new stupid ideas to try out here, and as long as it makes some profit, so I don't mind if it's just "a R&D project", as long as I can play this project. I don't mind either if PW's only goal is to publish a western version of their "LOLOL super fantasy game online". As long as research has to be made STO will survive, in this perspective.
I was kidding with my earlier comment. I really do like the above quote though. It is the most honest-sounding post regarding the relationship of Cryptic's STO with PWE.
Commander
# 37
10-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
They bought CRYPTIC for 50... That dosen't nessacarily mean that STO was of interest to them... merely that it was a bonus game where they could rip off naive people.
THIS ^

Neverwinter will replace STO at one point most likely...hell that's were a ton of the effort is...
EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
Captain
# 38
10-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcrayven View Post
Chris from STOked claimed PWE bought STO, Champs, and Neverwinter for the tech as opposed to buying them with any serious thought of making a profit off them; hence, he claimed, the reason that since the PWE takeover was finalized, the only content updates we have really seen have been lockboxes and grind. He also claimed that STO is considered an 'R&D project only' per their most recent financial releases.
Well... Chris is just a outsider looking in, getting bits and pieces, and filling out the blanks with his own knowlege, and based on previous expirience, anything Cryptic says, is designed to push players off track untill they drop some bomb to dissapoint.

At this point, I would'n belive any Cryptic or PWE employee if they said rain was wet.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Survivor of Remus
# 39
10-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
For Star Trek fans you guys are pretty clueless

The 1 reason that TNG ended in season 7 : Money!

The actors - particularly Patrick were asking for extreme amounts of money to carry it into an 8 season - he was entertaining movie offers and asking for millions per episode.

It was more profitable for them to just shut it down and run it in syndicated re-runs then to carry on with an 8th season

If the actors had gone with the same salary as before then season 8 of TNG would have been done.

It's always about money - story writers and producers can always come up with new stuff if they want to.

As with STO it's the same how long it lasts is due to 1 thing : money
You are right,it is all about money,and like with the tv shows STO really does go from season to season.Each season has to make a minimum amount of revenue to warrant the development of the next one,if for what ever reason it falls short of that goal or extra cash is needed,they come up with special offers like the recent LTS sale with added perks.

PWE aims at short term returns on their investments,the whole idea of creating something with lasting appeal that builds revenue over time is foreign to them.Lack of KDF C-store items is a good example of that.For PWE there is no guarantee that they will see profit of a KDF item/content before the next season,keeping in mind that the next season might never see the light of day.

Have none of you ever wondered why Stahl keeps everything shrouded in mystery when it comes to future content? Yes,things might change and they don't want to 'spill the beans' if they aren't sure it wil make it in the next season.....but he has been really evasive in his answers the last 6 months,and uncertainty about there even being a next season would explain his deflecting of questions and his generic,non-revealing answers.
Lt. Commander
# 40
10-13-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't think it works like that : when you buy a studio like Cryptic you "buy all" in other words you essentially buy the expertise that's present in that studio but in addition to that you also buy existing titles ( one isn' t more important than the other ) from which that expertise is derived . The devs working on STO know all ins and outs of that particular title and that's an asset in itself ( PWE didn't have to hire new staff to further development on STO) . Given the fact development of a new MMO takes about 5 years it can be very profitable to buy one "off the shelf " . Cost is minimal , all the expertise is there you already have future content planned/designed etc.