Empire Veteran
# 41
10-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharodon1975 View Post
You are right,it is all about money,and like with the tv shows STO really does go from season to season.Each season has to make a minimum amount of revenue to warrant the development of the next one,if for what ever reason it falls short of that goal or extra cash is needed,they come up with special offers like the recent LTS sale with added perks.

PWE aims at short term returns on their investments,the whole idea of creating something with lasting appeal that builds revenue over time is foreign to them.Lack of KDF C-store items is a good example of that.For PWE there is no guarantee that they will see profit of a KDF item/content before the next season,keeping in mind that the next season might never see the light of day.

Have none of you ever wondered why Stahl keeps everything shrouded in mystery when it comes to future content? Yes,things might change and they don't want to 'spill the beans' if they aren't sure it wil make it in the next season.....but he has been really evasive in his answers the last 6 months,and uncertainty about there even being a next season would explain his deflecting of questions and his generic,non-revealing answers.
You're a bit overdramatic here. Stahl can't tell what he hasn't planned yet. Building a MMO has nothing to do with a russian five-year plan. There are many jobs where you really don't know what will happen next year - mine is a good example. I know what I'll do but I have no clue about the issues I will encounter, how I will do things, etc. And there's no interest in planning if you learn more and improve yourself every year.
Career Officer
# 42
10-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenor002 View Post
THIS ^

Neverwinter will replace STO at one point most likely...hell that's were a ton of the effort is...
I don't know if it does. I DO think they expect NW to be big in China while they have no plans to port STO or Champs over directly. I think they have to be looking at City of Hero, the Korean version of City of Heroes... and they may have ideas for creating a new eastern game with Champs' assets that isn't super-hero based.

STO is the game they can't backport to China in any form though and so is sortof their prime R&D on western games.

I'll add the mysterious non-MMO project Cryptic is working on, that small scale co-op PvP game. I think that factors in, in ways we haven't seen yet.

There's also the question of whether NW will be released on gaming consoles. We've been told the engine was designed for it. If the talk about STO's shooter mode being a template for NW's default playstyle holds true, I think NW may be targeted at consoles as well.

The hurdle to STO and CO going to consoles (aside froim being awkward with controllers) was the sub fees conflicting with Microsoft's business model.

I think we could see Cryptic act as PWE's first steps towards console development.

That may also be what's delaying kit customization here. We know there's talk of that and long been talk of a UI overhaul.
Survivor of Remus
# 43
10-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
You're a bit overdramatic here. Stahl can't tell what he hasn't planned yet. Building a MMO has nothing to do with a russian five-year plan. There are many jobs where you really don't know what will happen next year - mine is a good example. I know what I'll do but I have no clue about the issues I will encounter, how I will do things, etc. And there's no interest in planning if you learn more and improve yourself every year.
MMO's are long term projects,designed for revenue over time.Planning 1 to 2 years ahead is essential for this business model to be succesful.Looking at what PWE has implemented since they took over Cryptic and STO,the items and ships they have introduced with the lock boxes and Lobi store,the general disregard for long term players,it's counterproductive in the long term,but has a big pay off in the short term.

At Cryptic their planning is about 6 months,for a MMO that is short term.Stahl doesn't have any answers on what's planned for season 8/9 because there is nothing planned yet,for the simple reason that if season 7 fails to meet PWE's financial expectations,there will be no season 8.
Career Officer
# 44
10-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire2000 View Post
Well continued lack of regular content that is not a lockbox since going F2P certainly makes it look like PW have no intrest in investing in this game....the longer this goes on the more it becomes apparent.

At this rate we might see a season 8 round about December 2013.....if we are lucky. lol
A company whose entire business consists of exactly one thing, F2P MMOs, buys Cryptic and turns STO into an F2P, and you see that as indicating they have no interest in the game...

It would have been bizarre if they had left it a subscription-based game. They don't do those. The instant anybody heard PWE was thinking of buying Cryptic, the very first thing to cross their minds would have been "oh, that means all of Cryptic's games will be F2P".
Captain
# 45
10-13-2012, 01:19 PM
I think you are getting things twisted, he is using "f2p" as a timeline not as a point in itself;
he is calling out lack of content, not the subscription or payment method.

Anyway yeah they will be here for at least another 2 financial quarters, you have to remember it's only 3 times a year and include the time it takes to pull the plug

From the looks of it lockbox sales are going more than great too so I wouldn't worry
Career Officer
# 46
10-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
From the looks of it lockbox sales are going more than great too so I wouldn't worry
Yeah. There are enough people playing and paying to make STO a profitable game for PWE on the long run. Star Trek is a rather safe bet in general, because even though the fanbase might not be as large as for other things the fans do like to support projects based on it. Star Trek is a cult-classic-trademark that's been in place for a very long time now. PWE wouldn't do themselves a true favor with sacrificing STO for a much less predictable project.

NWO for example is solely based on the fame of Neverwinter Nights (which was mainly praised for its multiplayer-layout) and the AD&D/forgotten realms pen&paper's, and I do not know many people who actually play and enjoy pen&papers or even tried them. Especially with PC's, consoles, smartphones, few hours of spare time a day, and such.
Lt. Commander
# 47
10-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
I think you are getting things twisted, he is using "f2p" as a timeline not as a point in itself;
he is calling out lack of content, not the subscription or payment method.

Anyway yeah they will be here for at least another 2 financial quarters, you have to remember it's only 3 times a year and include the time it takes to pull the plug

Bingo!!!

It will be intresting to see just what happens in 2013, will it be another year filled to the brim with lockboxes while content is far and few between....i mean they have almost done it for one year so who is to say they cant continue to gain max profit from min effort for another year.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 48
10-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Well, we certainly have stuff planned past S7.

I'll give you a hint.
Season 8's title is "S8: We made it past season 7!"
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Career Officer
# 49
10-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Well, we certainly have stuff planned past S7.

I'll give you a hint.
Season 8's title is "S8: We made it past season 7!"
You forgot to add...

...Just In Time For JJ-Trek, Too!

DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 5.0 years.
Lt. Commander
# 50
10-14-2012, 01:08 AM
They damn well better keep going for a long time yet.....
I forewent purchasing the new version of X-COM as am having far to much fun playing STO, AND as I have been waiting with baited breath for this game since i heard it was being 'remastered', the simple fact that I have foregone immediate purchase speaks volumes for STOs 'appealability'.
And at the end of the day there is plenty of room for further content judging by what i read here on the forums. Personally I would like to see customisation of ship and starbase interiors made a fairly high priority, but thats just me.