Career Officer
# 51
11-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Honestly, I think people are seeing things that just aren't there in terms of the crits and the one-shots with two exceptions - the gate on Infected seems to be dealing some awesome crits to the unwary at the moment (so stay well away until you need to tackle it) and the Neg/Raptor combo that spawns when the first of the 2nd tier nanites are destroyed on Cure seem to aggro immediately to whoever's got the cube's attention - they can be deadly, so watch what's happening with the nanites and hit Brace for Impact the moment the first 2nd Tier nanite goes down.

As far as Donatra goes, I haven't noticed any obvious differences in her behavior - that barrage of mini-torps she fires is still as destructive as ever, and I haven't tried tanking her Thalaron Beam attack in a while so I can't say if that's changed but hey - it's always best to avoid it if you can
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Captain
# 52
11-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Ya BABY ! Got my highest one yet last night from a CSE Raptor- 63K.

Glad I carry spare parts.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Commander
# 53
11-01-2012, 09:38 AM
When me and my teammate got nuked by Donatra, it wasn't her Thalaron Beam that got us. I didn't see what it was, and I was looking directly at her, so I assumed it was these invisible torpedoes that people keep mentioning. Unless, of course, her Thalaron Beam has started going invisible too.
Career Officer
# 54
11-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
Ya BABY ! Got my highest one yet last night from a CSE Raptor- 63K.

Glad I carry spare parts.
Gate got me for 123k once

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
When me and my teammate got nuked by Donatra, it wasn't her Thalaron Beam that got us. I didn't see what it was, and I was looking directly at her, so I assumed it was these invisible torpedoes that people keep mentioning. Unless, of course, her Thalaron Beam has started going invisible too.
Not the torp-cloud she fires then? That's the most consistently brutal attack she has in my experience..?
Captain
# 55
11-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Gate got me for 123k once
WOW !
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Career Officer
# 56
11-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
WOW !
Yep - it's fair (and odd) to say that those gates are my most hated enemies in STO
Commander
# 57
11-01-2012, 09:51 AM
It is possible it was the torp cloud, although there was no cloud on my screen, apart from the ones me and my teammate left when we popped.
Career Officer
# 58
11-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
It is possible it was the torp cloud, although there was no cloud on my screen, apart from the ones me and my teammate left when we popped.
I suspect it's that - the torp-cloud is graphically quite intensive and STO seems to selectively switch off some effects when there's lots of stuff happening (I've noticed this a lot with smoke/plasma whilst working on Foundry missions).

That and there's a lot of strange graphical bugs anyway (seen the transparent/silhouette Quantum Torpedoes you can fire from time-to-time?).

Getting suddenly hit by this stuff isn't fair of course, but I've come to accept it in the STFs - visiting the shipyard and the exchange for repairs/components/regens is a reoccurring ritual all STF'ers go through
Captain
# 59
11-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Honestly, I think people are seeing things that just aren't there in terms of the crits and the one-shots

WRONG. SO FREAKING WRONG. We're not making BS up like you. "Oh, it didn't happen, you're wrong" -- well NEWS FLASH buster, every time I have EVER gotten 1-shotted I check the freaking BATTLELOG! Last night a single shot peaked 69K with no warning. No ship anywhere with any kind of shields and any consoles can withstand that when it never RENDERS on the screen in the first place.

It's almost ALWAYS plasma torps. 99.99999999% of the BS in this game is super-mega-crit plasma torps, from every type of ship be it cubes, donatra, nanite defenders, gates. It's always a plasma. Looking at the spikes you see over 10 fired that could wipe out a death star in every game. It's recorded by the game itself. We're not making this **** up, buddy. It's a very real, very BS problem.

EDIT: P.S. The torpedo cloud isn't even a cloud. It's not multiple torpedoes. It's a BS graphics effect that animates multiple hits but only shows as ONE MASSIVE single torpedo in logs. Further, the animation can barely be starting (and yes I've looked right at it as it does) when you instantly die for no reason. The damage applies instantly when Donatra does it, then it takes 20 seconds before the "animation" plays out over your corpse, as if you were hit by a salvo.

EDIT2: Technically, donatra fires some rabid version of a photon torpedo, not plasma, but the BS is just the same so I lumped it in with them in my 99.999..... comment.

Last edited by rodentmaster; 11-01-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Captain
# 60
11-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Regarding Donatra: Ben running a lot of normals lately and noticed her pulling HY plasma torpedo chains out of her arsenal. So bassiclly dedendrix style stuff, on an elite boss NPC. Ugh.

Also i've never had the oportunity to carefully check, but i STRONGLY suspect some of the auto pops are actually really stupidly large crits that are causing insane amounts of plasma burn damage. If he base Plasma weapon crits then every tick of the burn will be a crit. Combined that with a high NPC modifier and you can get, (and i have observed), burns of several K a second. On HY plasma Torps it's possibble the burn damage is so high that it's one shotting you on top of bleethrough.

Also when looking for those epic crits in your log. look for the immidieatte prior Sheild damage. if it strikes your sheild you'll get an entry for any sheild damage done by the attack followed by an entry for hull damage that is for the same attack but listed seperatly. So those big crits your seeing are JUST the hull damage after it got past your sheild.