Career Officer
So my friends just got A&TT U-Verse at their new apartment. Now, before, they/we where having problems connecting multiple devices to ATT's propriety router/modem combo. There tech support said for some reason, its because they changed the Network ID and password, so fine, my friends reset the router (that's the most BS answer I've ever heard).

Now to STO. A week after that, I finally convinced them to try STO. So all 3 of use are playing it on our laptops, wirelessly connected. One of us was having the red in game message about server connections problems (I forget specifically what the message says, but its the one where you just freeze as the client tries to reconnect). So we decide to hook that one up via ethernet wire to ensure that laptop has a connection (our thinking was that the air was crowded with signals). As SOON as we did that, my laptop started getting the same server error.

So, logically we've narrowed it down to either A&TT is falsely advertising their routers being able to support 4+ devices, or Cryptic doesn't like multiple clients on one external IP.

So that's my question, would however you handle multiple client requests from the same IP be causing connection issues from 3+ clients?
Career Officer
# 2 good question
10-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
So my friends just got A&TT U-Verse at their new apartment. Now, before, they/we where having problems connecting multiple devices to ATT's propriety router/modem combo. There tech support said for some reason, its because they changed the Network ID and password, so fine, my friends reset the router (that's the most BS answer I've ever heard).

Now to STO. A week after that, I finally convinced them to try STO. So all 3 of use are playing it on our laptops, wirelessly connected. One of us was having the red in game message about server connections problems (I forget specifically what the message says, but its the one where you just freeze as the client tries to reconnect). So we decide to hook that one up via ethernet wire to ensure that laptop has a connection (our thinking was that the air was crowded with signals). As SOON as we did that, my laptop started getting the same server error.

So, logically we've narrowed it down to either A&TT is falsely advertising their routers being able to support 4+ devices, or Cryptic doesn't like multiple clients on one external IP.

So that's my question, would however you handle multiple client requests from the same IP be causing connection issues from 3+ clients?

i am curious about this also...
Career Officer
# 3
10-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbomberdavid View Post
i am curious about this also...
Yes, hopefully a dev answers this because whether or not a new router gets purchased hinges on the answer.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
10-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Those router/modem hybrids hardely can ever be considered a "true" router and those things are usually designed to not handel gaming correctly either.

Now you sorta can get away with it under the pressure of 1 client, but those combo packs tend to melt under the pressure of multiple games using it (esp if you got some wireless some wired.. wireless causes problems too because of extra encryption stuff as well).

Now I'm not saying all are, some are good enough to handel it, but most just flat out fail to meet up to the challenge.

Best to put something like that in Bridge mode and let a real router do the work from there.
---
"We are the Borg. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile."
Sincerely,
The Cube Assimilating Your Ship Right Now
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
10-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhq View Post
Best to put something like that in Bridge mode and let a real router do the work from there.
Agreed. bridge the AT&T box to a real router. Even a cheap-o linksys would be better than the crap AT&T gives out.