Career Officer
I get sick of lockbox snark infiltrating every thread.

The jokes aren't funny. The complaints are old. The lockboxes aren't that bad and I think they serve a good role in the game's economy. But even if they were the devil, the complaints about them has lost all novelty for me.

I get sick of the baseless idea that nothing that isn't a lockbox is getting developed, that lockboxes are somehow harmful to the IP (an IP that is proudly plastered over ACTUAL lottery tickets and slot machines), and most of all, seeing lockbox complaints in threads that aren't about lockboxes, derailing things.

The jokes aren't funny. The complaints are mostly baseless or tired or baseless and tired at this point and the principal complaints left are about the idea of lockboxes, not the execution. The complaints seem to generally be paranoid and pessimistic.

It's all been said. Can we as a community just acknowledge they're here and they're a vital part of the game and that the jealousy over the dev attention they receive, overstatement of their impact, and paranoid, knee-jerk, endless badgering over the issue doesn't and will never do one iota of good for anything.

Am I crazy about them? I have mixed feelings. But I'm past the turning point where I find lockboxes less annoying than people who dislike lockboxes.
Commander
# 2
10-14-2012, 01:03 AM
After having lock boxes in game for nearly a year now I don't notice them as much as I did when they were introduced. I agree they do serve a purpose for funding the game. I just choose not to open them and discard them.
Career Officer
# 3
10-14-2012, 01:05 AM
I will never embrace the greedy gambling scam of lock boxes. The gambling nature of acquiring items is horrible. I will continue to be vocal about my dislike for it. Those items should all be c-store items. I will never like it, accept it, nor keep my mouth shut about it. You will not convince me otherwise.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Captain
# 4
10-14-2012, 01:05 AM
I find lockboxes to be a necessary evil. Cryptic and PWE aren't producing this game out of the goodness of their hearts, but because they have to survive and have fun doing it. Lockboxes exist so that some people can pay for others to play this game. If I buy lockboxes or spend money on C-Store ships, then someone that can't spend money on this game can play it for free. Or more simply no F2P no need for lockboxes.
Career Officer
# 5
10-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
I will never embrace the greedy gambling scam of lock boxes. The gambling nature of acquiring items is horrible. I will continue to be vocal about my dislike for it. Those items should all be c-store items. I will never like it, accept it, nor keep my mouth shut about it. You will not convince me otherwise.

Grab bags are not gambling.
People can make a choice to not play.

As to the original point.
Eventually the naysayers and snark masters will become the minority.
This will not stop their loud rants.
Eventually they will see that fewer and fewer agree with them.
They will become more and more silent, only snarking up once in awhile.

That said.
As a company, Cryptic has improved lockboxes based on customer feedback.
They are no longer any issue for me whatsoever, and I actually enjoy opening them now and again. Never trying for the big prize ship, just happily collecting Lobi.
Lieutenant
# 6
10-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Grab bags are not gambling.
1. Put coin into slot;
2. Pull lever; and
3. Collecting random winnings.

That's gambling if I've ever heard of it.

Lockboxes do piss me off. Sometimes I buy them off the exchange just so I can delete them.
Rihannsu
# 7
10-14-2012, 01:20 AM
actually u get 4 lobi so cant be gambling you are garenteed 1 item plus at least 4 lobi.
So its a grab bag as hippie stated.
-Spells

|| Open Door Policy ||
| Dues Ex Mechina |
Fleet Leader

Lieutenant
# 8
10-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srspells View Post
actually u get 4 lobi so cant be gambling you are garenteed 1 item plus at least 4 lobi.
So its a grab bag as hippie stated.
-Spells
Attaching a few static rewards doesn't all of the sudden not make it gambling. You put your money into the machine, pull the lever, and cross your fingers. All lockboxes do is ensure a minimum payout.

There are slot machines which do that too. If lockboxes aren't gambling then neither are slot machines
Career Officer
# 9
10-14-2012, 01:24 AM
love it when some one complains about the complainer keep up the good work
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Career Officer
# 10
10-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
this ^^^^^^^
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Closed Thread