Career Officer
# 1 Starbase Incursion & the Borg
10-09-2012, 05:39 AM
Okay - I'm not going to turn this into a big rant/complain thread but this is an issue that, I feel, needs to be addressed.

I've played Starbase Incursion a fair bit recently, and it seems that now that the number of Starbases reaching 'higher' tiers is increasing I have encountered the Borg in these instances a little more frequently.

Since lower-ranked players are able to access these missions, this creates a problem. Namely frequency remodulators.

Nearly every instance of Incursion I've played that involved lower-rank players involved them shooting at the Borg WITHOUT the aid of frequency remodulators. Now don't get me wrong, I don't personally have a problem with lower-rank players being in these missions - against general enemies they're still a gun shooting at a saboteur. But against the Borg, without a frequency remodulator, they're about as much use as a waterproof teabag and may as well not be there. I played an instance a few days ago where two of the five players present were not equipped with frequency remodulators, effectively making it a three-man mission.

Sadly, asking these players (via in-game chat) to obtain/equip frequency remodulators falls on deaf ears. I usually send them one, via the mail system, post-mission, with an explaination of what they do and why they need one, but this hardly guarantees attention/use either.

Something needs to be put in place to prevent this though because frankly, if you think about it, it's actually possible for an instance to occur involving five players wihtout frequency remodulators.....

Anyway - thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
10-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Introduce shotguns (real ones) and let the borg be wiped out
or simply remove them from the Game
Career Officer
# 3
10-09-2012, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Introduce shotguns (real ones) and let the borg be wiped out
or simply remove them from the Game
Well, all joking aside, if they were using melee weapons it'd be something.
Quote:
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Rihannsu
# 4
10-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Starbase incursion is a fleet only event, as I know. So, those ignorant players are a problem of your fleet, not of the game type. How about to kick them for being ignorant?
Captain
# 5
10-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
But against the Borg, without a frequency remodulator, they're about as much use as a waterproof teabag and may as well not be there.
I simply love that simile. Really, I do.

The problem is a real one, though. I see two solutions for this, and would encourage both to be implemented, to be honest.

The first has been mentioned in relation to the starbase defense space fleet actions: bracketed or high-level queueing. That way you'd be less likely to be teamed up with people who have not met the Borg before, though the lower tiers would probably be nasty, in Borg encounters.

However, that doesn't solve the problem of people not being aware of the need for the remodulator. Therefore the second suggestion is the introduction of remodulators in a story mission or tutorial-type of assignment for new players.

I might have missed it, but as far as I'm aware the remodulator is not properly introduced, or it's importance understressed at the very least. Come to think of it, even if it is there, but I missed it, that'd point out a problem too.
Career Officer
# 6
10-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Cryptic did at least include a glowing box with a frequency remodulator available, free of charge, at the start of these missions. That still doesn't mean that people will actually read team chat or pick one up, but its better than nothing.

Edit: This does make it very convenient for knowing what to avoid (in a pug) or what to hunt for (in a group going for the accolade).

Quote:
Originally Posted by taut0u View Post
Starbase incursion is a fleet only event, as I know. So, those ignorant players are a problem of your fleet, not of the game type. How about to kick them for being ignorant?
I'm not sure if you're aware or not but there is a big difference between an event that requires someone to be in *a* fleet versus in *your* fleet. The only way to guarantee you only play with your fleet is to do a private queue or queue up 5 people as a team.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18745 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)

Last edited by phyrexianhero; 10-09-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
10-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
Cryptic did at least include a glowing box with a frequency remodulator available, free of charge, at the start of these missions. That still doesn't mean that people will actually read team chat or pick one up, but its better than nothing.

I'm not sure if you're aware or not but there is a big difference between an event that requires someone to be in *a* fleet versus in *your* fleet. The only way to guarantee you only play with your fleet is to do a private queue or queue up 5 people as a team.
Exactly - unless one queues with fellow members of their particular fleet, 99% of the time all five people in the mission will be from different fleets.
Quote:
Captain
# 8
10-09-2012, 07:39 AM
I found the remod only by doing Defera there was nothing to tell me how to use it or what it was for until I got it. I think during the tutorial you should get the free one and go through a defera tutorial
Career Officer
# 9
10-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeasom View Post
I found the remod only by doing Defera there was nothing to tell me how to use it or what it was for until I got it. I think during the tutorial you should get the free one and go through a defera tutorial
Considering how big Borg are in the game, a remodulator tutorial would be a good idea. Since they've already said they have intentions on redoing the tutorial, I would hope that this gets added in there.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 18745 (Fed Engineer), 16400 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Career Officer
# 10
10-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
Considering how big Borg are in the game, a remodulator tutorial would be a good idea. Since they've already said they have intentions on redoing the tutorial, I would hope that this gets added in there.
Defintely - and it wouldn't really need to be anything huge either. Perhaps amend it so that there is some sort of 'mini-boss' tactical drone at the end of tutorial that has retained/regained it's ability to adapt to energy weapons, and new players therefore need the remodulator to combat it.
Quote: