Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Lt. Commander
How about allowing really big war ships like the Bortasqu to be able to shoot dual cannons and/or heavy dual cannons in a 180 deg arc? They are already so slow turning, that installing DHCs is a questionable choice. (I still do it, but i would never go into PvP with it).

However the size of the ship for me clearly justifies the ability to use those big high yield weapons as turret like emplacements or so. I would not go that far to give them 360 deg arcs, but I feel 180 would be justified.

Mind also I am not talking about torps or things like the disruptor autocannon, as I feel those things are justified with the firing arc they already posses.

This would make the Bortasqu (and possible similar warships) kind of a slow turning broadsider, but not quite so as the most damage potential would remain in a 90 deg arc.

Any thoughts?
Career Officer
# 2
10-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Could always go to regular cannons... honestly does *anyone* use the regular cannon at all?
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 5-5-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-19-2012, 09:10 AM
single cannons? I certainly don't use them, they are just too puny. IMO the point of a dreadnought cruiser with poor manoeuvrability is to use heavy weaponry, but a firing arc of 45 deg is just too small. It could work if the weapons range was increased to 20 km maybe.
Career Officer
# 4
10-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Single cannons need to be revisited, imho. Maybe some kind of high inefficency, massive DPS per shot, slow/low refire, and innate CrtH + CrtD? Then mark them for Cruiser/battlecruiser only?

Something to bring them into closer balance with the DHCs.

EDIT: just mulled over some data on them, and frankly they went the wrong direction with them. They fire too frequently and too low per volley, and need to become the opposite end of the spectrum. Even leaving their DPS alone @ 212 for a white Mk XII, make their Volley a single shot of 212damage, once per second. Add the same innate CritD as Dual Heavy but also add an innate CritH to them (in addition to any quality mods). Make them cruiser/battle cruiser only, and you should see a use for them. BIG hits, slow hits, but bigger arcs.
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.

Last edited by jnohd; 10-19-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Career Officer
# 5
10-19-2012, 09:46 AM
You don't think the massive difference in firing arc is enough?

Personally I would love to be able to fire heavy cannons every which way kinda like this, but unfortunately game balance dictates otherwise
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
10-19-2012, 09:50 AM
I know Cyptic is toying around with the idea of a "broadside" ship for each faction, whereas the front and rear slots would become port and starboard slots for firing arcs. The idea would be most beneficial for a ship that could mount cannons in addition to torpedo launchers.

I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
And remember to follow the rules.
Career Officer
# 7
10-19-2012, 09:50 AM
No, I don't think they went in the right direction with Cannons. I feel like they would be better served as a slow firing, high crit weapon. Even dropping the base DPS a little if need be. I'm thinking primarily of the broadsider coming up, and how it seems silly the whole game's dual cannons and dual heavies are king.

See my edit above.
Captain
# 8
10-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Giving big ships a 180 degree arc for DHCs would make them overpowered.
The word balance often comes to play in these discussions, reasons to give players an incentive to fly different classes of ships. Tradeoffs are made so that ships of different classes at the same tier are on a roughly equal standing allowing players with different playing styles to be competitive. For Big ships, their statistical advantage in crew/shields/armor has to be compensated for by decreased maneuverability and preventing them from mounting the most powerful weapons. While smaller ships have the advantage in DPS and maneuvering but pay for it in reduced crew/shield/armor. To allow a Big ship a 180 degree arc for DHCs would have to be compensated by some loss of the Ship's other advantages, failure to do that would eventually result in entire classes of ships abandoned in favor of this one design.
Career Officer
# 9
10-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Oh, and the mirror Neg'var looks like its firing beams to me...
Career Officer
# 10
10-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Me too, that's why I said "kinda like this"