Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 31
10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
#2+#3 tend to lead to my #2 cause of the double cursor.

#1 is Boldly They Rode.
#3 is just playing too long without restarting.

The sync issues/lag I get once I get the double cursor makes it unplayable and requires restarting the client. Not everything's bound and I still use the mouse for various things, but even the keybinds go to Hell.

I can go from playing in what I would call a trance - I couldn't tell you what I was doing, I'm just doing it: fingers flying and all the rest...to playing like I'm swimming in molasses where everything's crap.

It's kind of annoying...
Captain
# 32
10-16-2012, 09:29 AM
When this set was released I made a long-winded post which was merged into the giant monster thread.

Bort did manage to see it and responded:
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
"Every power should have a counter."

Somebody stated this in the other lockbox thread, and I have to say that I generally agree with the notion.

I can't make any promises as we haven't discussed it internally yet, but we will be looking into the concept of giving an ability or two the power to shake off or resist the effects of the Temporal Stasis set bonus. More when a decision is made.
Career Officer
# 33
10-16-2012, 09:50 AM
There's a very simple reason there will never be a nerf to the lobi set or any lockbox ship: money.

The Bug is OP, the TW Set on a Mobius is OP (I regularly kill bugs with it and I'm in my Sci toon lol).

I bought them with real cash, hard earned money, because they were OP and I wanted the most bang for my buck. If I want a fast car I have to spend more, if the manufacturers were to then send out a chip upgrade that meant I couldn't go much faster than a car one third the price do you think I would ever buy a car from them again?

Same with this, if this set is nerfed in any way shape or form, I and many others would never plough the hundreds of dollars into the game required to buy all this stuff. That would be it, period, over and out, no doubts at all, not a single penny would they get from me and many many other people.

The fact that they are OP is irrelevant, if you want to counter them then use the same ship setup. If you have a PvP match and the whole other team has Mobius destroyers with the full sets then make sure your team has them too or prepare to die.

Whilst the game is F2P there will always be inbalance, it's inbalance in the game and in society that makes the world work. If you want to see a balanced society where everyone is treated the same and everyone has the same then go look at a communist state, they don't work out that well.

OP you're correct, I'm not arguing with you, I am just giving you my reasons for why this will NEVER EVER happen unless there was a very serious mistake and a ship or console really was godlike.

The vast majority of the people playing the game are not PvPers and as can be seen in this thread some of them have no idea what a subnuc does or why it's important, what they do know though is that these things are great to buy, have great stats and even give some of them a fighting chance on the odd occasion they do go in for PvP. Take that away from them retrospectively and Cryptic may as well start switching the lights out now.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Captain
# 34
10-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
There's a very simple reason there will never be a nerf to the lobi set or any lockbox ship: money.

The Bug is OP, the TW Set on a Mobius is OP (I regularly kill bugs with it and I'm in my Sci toon lol).

I bought them with real cash, hard earned money, because they were OP and I wanted the most bang for my buck. If I want a fast car I have to spend more, if the manufacturers were to then send out a chip upgrade that meant I couldn't go much faster than a car one third the price do you think I would ever buy a car from them again?

Same with this, if this set is nerfed in any way shape or form, I and many others would never plough the hundreds of dollars into the game required to buy all this stuff. That would be it, period, over and out, no doubts at all, not a single penny would they get from me and many many other people.

The fact that they are OP is irrelevant, if you want to counter them then use the same ship setup. If you have a PvP match and the whole other team has Mobius destroyers with the full sets then make sure your team has them too or prepare to die.

Whilst the game is F2P there will always be inbalance, it's inbalance in the game and in society that makes the world work. If you want to see a balanced society where everyone is treated the same and everyone has the same then go look at a communist state, they don't work out that well.

OP you're correct, I'm not arguing with you, I am just giving you my reasons for why this will NEVER EVER happen unless there was a very serious mistake and a ship or console really was godlike.

The vast majority of the people playing the game are not PvPers and as can be seen in this thread some of them have no idea what a subnuc does or why it's important, what they do know though is that these things are great to buy, have great stats and even give some of them a fighting chance on the odd occasion they do go in for PvP. Take that away from them retrospectively and Cryptic may as well start switching the lights out now.
I agree with your logic. I guess the TW counter will be in the next lockbox.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 35
10-16-2012, 10:32 AM
We've said it before: All powers should have a counter and/or resistance.

So, look for this to be updated in the future.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Banned
# 36
10-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post

And what happens when someone kicks your teeth in with a weaker setup? You will then demand for even more power, rather than get over your lack of ability.

Most people that shell out that kinds of cash are like those douchenozzles that buy a ferrari before they can even get the most out of even an Economy Car and then take it to a track and then get Embarrassed by some guy with a slightly modded Mustang or Camaro. And then go and whine that the Mustang and Camaro need a weight penalty.

Also the difference between here and Real Life, is there is only one car manufacturer. We're all stuck buying from one maker.

If you want more bang for your buck, just learn how to play. You'd be amazed at the mileage you can get out of a non lock box ship. You don't need more power from Craptic, you need more Skill.

Lockboxes should be a convenience method of acquiring items. If they were only On Par with Fleet Ships and etc they would be a massive power boost all the same. Because even a pug could then have a ship that was on par with what dedicated fleets would have. You're not looking at Long Term Growth. Lockboxes are great for short sighted growth. But very detrimental in the long term. Starbases cost LOTS of money. I don't think you realize just how many hundreds bucks a guild can sink into the starbase to pop out the ships. Lock boxes pretty much crap away any real reason for a guild to do so.

Tell me at what point does it become too much for you? There is another consequence of Lockboxes. Power Creep. Each set will have to be progressively stronger than the last. You'll have to keep sinking hundreds of dollars into the game over and over again to stay up with the times.

Also, once you get your Ass Kicked by other people using the same stuff you are, who were Skilled before they got their new toys, you'll look just as bad as you did before you got your toys.

Lockboxes and power creep f2p is what kills western mmos after they go f2p. The good f2p games sell convenience
Empire Veteran
# 37
10-16-2012, 10:52 AM
The temporal set already has a major and serious drawback, the manhein device (for the clones in space) can already kill you, and most of the time in pvp and pve it does, so... Isn't it already balanced?

I like the fact that the pay to win stuff has drawbacks by the way, that's a good design policy.
Starfleet Veteran
# 38
10-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
We've said it before: All powers should have a counter and/or resistance.

So, look for this to be updated in the future.
It's a good thing but...in the future? Hopefully as soon as possible...I accept the Matt f2p logical reasoning, but Ghost is absolutely right...don't kill this beautiful game with more and more powerful toys penalizing the oldest and better players who don't want to spend too much money.
K D F - Killing Disadvantaged Feds
K D F - The evul way to play Sto

Adm. Marcus orders: Punish the evul Klinguns! Punish the evul HOBOs! And nuclearize Qo'nos once and for all!
Captain
# 39
10-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
The temporal set already has a major and serious drawback, the manhein device (for the clones in space) can already kill you, and most of the time in pvp and pve it does, so... Isn't it already balanced?

I like the fact that the pay to win stuff has drawbacks by the way, that's a good design policy.
The pay2win drawbacks have never come close to balancing their gains. A couple of summers ago a Dev admitted on video they were always designed to be better than in game ships and this was when it was a sub based game.

Take the KDF Vet ship, it's very squishy based on shields and available console slots. But, those of us who've dealt w/squishy Raiders via playing pre season 5 defense boosts now how to fight that way and take advantage of it's potential. The best KDF ships are the Vet, Fleet Torchat, and Karfi. Only the Karfi is available via token and only than for Vets/gold irrc.

It's roughly Lotto > Fleet > Zstore > in game dilithium/token ships as far as ship power goes.
Career Officer
# 40
10-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyandfrosty View Post
And what happens when someone kicks your teeth in with a weaker setup? You will then demand for even more power, rather than get over your lack of ability.

Most people that shell out that kinds of cash are like those douchenozzles that buy a ferrari before they can even get the most out of even an Economy Car and then take it to a track and then get Embarrassed by some guy with a slightly modded Mustang or Camaro. And then go and whine that the Mustang and Camaro need a weight penalty.

Also the difference between here and Real Life, is there is only one car manufacturer. We're all stuck buying from one maker.

If you want more bang for your buck, just learn how to play. You'd be amazed at the mileage you can get out of a non lock box ship. You don't need more power from Craptic, you need more Skill.

Lockboxes should be a convenience method of acquiring items. If they were only On Par with Fleet Ships and etc they would be a massive power boost all the same. Because even a pug could then have a ship that was on par with what dedicated fleets would have. You're not looking at Long Term Growth. Lockboxes are great for short sighted growth. But very detrimental in the long term. Starbases cost LOTS of money. I don't think you realize just how many hundreds bucks a guild can sink into the starbase to pop out the ships. Lock boxes pretty much crap away any real reason for a guild to do so.

Tell me at what point does it become too much for you? There is another consequence of Lockboxes. Power Creep. Each set will have to be progressively stronger than the last. You'll have to keep sinking hundreds of dollars into the game over and over again to stay up with the times.

Also, once you get your Ass Kicked by other people using the same stuff you are, who were Skilled before they got their new toys, you'll look just as bad as you did before you got your toys.

Lockboxes and power creep f2p is what kills western mmos after they go f2p. The good f2p games sell convenience

Ghosty you are missing my point chump (lol, got it in before you did).

I am not saying I agree with it I am saying why they won't be nerfed. The counter when it comes will be in another lockbox.

As it happens I don't need a lockbox ship to win my PvP games, I've been testing and refining builds for over 500 days, I am already a pretty good PvPer and win most my games with a standard ship, with one of my aforementioned ships I win almost every 1v1 I play. That again was not the point sonny.

As for starbases I run this fleet, I started it and have over 4 million Fleet Credits on the leaderboard so I know all about sinking money into this game. So your wild assumptions are just that laddo. Next time examine the logic of the argument rather than trying to make some febrile knee-jerk reactionary post that completely misses the finer nuances of what is going on here.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html