Lt. Commander
# 1 Mystery Boxes ... now what?
10-15-2012, 10:26 AM
This is not a rant on the goodness or badness of lockboxes. How i feel about them is irrelevant to this thread.

What I'm wondering is what is the point of Mystery boxes anymore? They sell on Xch for a fair amount but i dont see the point of them.

If i recall, Mystery boxes were those "better than common boxes" that gave you a chance at a Gold-box. Gold boxes also dropped directly but they were far more rare. You had to use a key to get into a Mystery box and see what your prize was ... another box. And general concensus was there was "no surprise!" That most of them burned keys on wasted chances to get "another frakin" common box.

Well Gold box drops seem gone now, as are Myster box drops. It's all common, which frankly i prefer. But what's the point now of Mystery boxes? Is it still possible and worthwhile to open them for chances at Gold boxes? Have Gold boxes been upped on their rewards to almost guaranteed levels now? Get a Gold box, you know the ship's inside?

If nothing's changed with them ... then this thread shifts to a simple question to the dev team. Why not change them in a way that fits the present implementation of common boxes? Make them give greater benefit loot on open, and remove the middle step of being rewarded with "another frakin" box?

Just really curious. Thanks for reading.
Republic Veteran
# 2
10-15-2012, 01:20 PM
since they removed the Very rare/gold boxes, mystery boxes should only reward common boxes now. and since mystery boxes dont require a key to open them removing the middle man would just mean one thing..... they should just remove mysteryboxes and replace it with "receive current lockbox" like replay missions do.

any currently still around mystery boxes would likely drop the current lockbox as it doesnt generate the box until opened.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Mystery boxes require no key?

I havent been paying enough attention clearly
Republic Veteran
# 4
10-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Mystery Boxes don't require a key to open, but the thing inside is a lockbox, which does require a key to open.
Rihannsu
# 5
10-22-2012, 05:10 PM
all the mystery box is is a loot drop that makes it easier to plug the new lockboxes into the STFs. There's nothing special about them, all they do is spawn the current lockbox, infact IIRC they recently changed them to just say current lockbox instead of mystery box to avoid the confusion.
Captain
# 6
10-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Mystery boxes still give Ferengi lock boxes, either standard (common now?) and gold versions. They have value for those trying to get a D'Kora.

The new STF loot has a temporary item it seems that auto-opens giving the current lock box instead of the mystery lock boxes that had to be opened manually.