Career Officer
# 21
10-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Woot! More clutter! More currencies to keep track of!!!!
Commander
# 22
10-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Well the old currencies did not take up space either.

But untill you can't get anything by earning them anymore, they are still currencies... Why? Simple:

1: You have to work for them
2: You use them to exchange for items and gear
3: Even in our world, Money is a symbol of status, hence rep.

... Sounds awefully like money to me...

It's a currency... Yea... it may be a status of how much time you have to grind, but you can still buy things for it.
Just like you can with fleet marks.
So would you rather all the loot in new missions be random drops or be able to buy all the new loot with dilithium? If its the dilithium route then welcome to Pay 2 Win.

New missions require new currency to buy new gear. Otherwise everyone would just do the easiest mission to grind one currency and buy everything. If you want Vault gear you need to run the Vault, if you want fleet gear you need to run fleet events. You want STF gear, you gotta run STFs.
Career Officer
# 23
10-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoxy View Post
So would you rather all the loot in new missions be random drops or be able to buy all the new loot with dilithium? If its the dilithium route then welcome to Pay 2 Win.

New missions require new currency to buy new gear. Otherwise everyone would just do the easiest mission to grind one currency and buy everything. If you want Vault gear you need to run the Vault, if you want fleet gear you need to run fleet events. You want STF gear, you gotta run STFs.
There is nOTHING saying that MUST be the case! There is NOTHING keeping Cryptic from unifying the currencies. Are we going to have "Klingon Marks" and "Federation Marks now"? utter bullocks.
Rihannsu
# 24
10-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
This ---^

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
^^^sry but this,..... is not cutting it. To get it back into perpspective:

We have: S6:

STF currencies:
[previously Mark of Valor =1]

EDC RDC VRDC {3}
Prototype X, XI, XII {18}

Crafting Currency: [previously 0]

Unreplicable materials {2}

Endgame [previously Emblems: 1]

Dil refined/ore {2}

Old Currencies still in use:
EC {1}
GPL {1}
Zen {1}
Merits/honor/XP {1}

New Currencies:
Lobi {1}
Fleet Credits{1}
Ship Modules {1}
Romulan Datachip {1}

Fleet marks {1}

Discontinued Currencies:
Badges and Medals for lvl 0-49 [12]

That leaves us at a whooping:

34 [35 including Romulan Marks] S6 currencies vs. 18 pre-money grap.

At the time cryptic cheated part of its 500day veterans out of an emblems award, stating that they needed to reduce the amount of currencies in game. Hence everybody got shafted even more when their in-game currencies were converted to emblems.

We have long passed the currency threshold of Season 5. So I would love to hear a little more then

this^^on why we keep getting new currencies, and what the plan behind it is.

How about converting some of those 34 currencies into stats like the old emblems, this way they don't clog up our inventories as much.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013

Last edited by havam; 10-15-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 25
10-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Remember, the STF loot system is also supposed to get turned into a reputation.

Pre-S5: 17 with 3 unique uses, 2 of which were simply duplicated twice at each mk level.

Post-S7: 6 that we know of, 7 or 9 extrapolating from current information (7 assuming Borg marks, 9 assuming Romulan and Borg credits), with 4 completely unique uses, 2 of which are duplicated in different progression scales, one of which is duplicated with different reward sets.

So not only are we still far below the old number of currencies, their functional overlap is pretty limited. The three marks acting as progression driving experience for holdings and reputations, and the credits from each accessing different reward sets.
Can you name them? (And define "currency")
Career Officer
# 26
10-15-2012, 03:30 PM
And to the poster that said he'd rather grind currency than suffer the random loot drops of the STFs - have you played The Vault? It's an abomination - with a gated reward - you play it outside of the event and you get nothing of value. You actually grind the datalogs and really, you get little of value - certainly worth far less than you get from the STFs.

Honestly, the Proto Tech of the STFs, infuriatingly random though it is, is much less of a maddening grind than The Vault. I hope the dev team can do better - much better.

I've got a really bad feeling about this (and hundreds *hundreds* of EDCs that it looks like I'm gonna be converting to Dilithium at a pathetic exchange rate...)
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Career Officer
# 27
10-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoxy View Post

^^^ This This This. Either everyone just wants to bash Cryptic or they are really dim...

The old currencies were stupid in that they gated you against regular gear based on rank. Once you reach a new rank the old currency was worthless. The structure was the problem not the number of currencies so get over yourselves. Dilithium solved this problem by unifying rank based currencies FOR REGULAR GEAR

What dilithium should not give you is the ability to purchase end game equipment obtained via hard "fun" and skill. I don't want some idiot grinding SFA Quickies via Investigate Officer Reports and lore quests with 7 characters, who then moves the DL via exchange to one char....to get M.A.C.O Mark XII grear or Reman MXII gear or whatever Special Mark XII gear. It would also prevent those from outright buying end game gear with zen to DL conv.

/thread
1hr of work @NYS Min Wage 7.25 = 725 Zen
725 x 102 (or current exchange rate) DL = 73950 DL <- can you earn that per hour in game?

Last edited by phantomeight; 10-15-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Career Officer
# 28
10-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
I've got a really bad feeling about this (and hundreds *hundreds* of EDCs that it looks like I'm gonna be converting to Dilithium at a pathetic exchange rate...)
Don't be so hasty. They said that there would be an exchange of some sort. You may be able to convert them to something like Omega Reputation.
1hr of work @NYS Min Wage 7.25 = 725 Zen
725 x 102 (or current exchange rate) DL = 73950 DL <- can you earn that per hour in game?

Career Officer
# 29
10-15-2012, 03:43 PM
But seriously - why does Cryptic care where I spend my time? If I could grind EDCs for the Reman Set I would - anything to make me not have to play that godawful Vault mission again.

STFs/Defera/The Vault - why can't Cryptic implement an end-game currency that allows me to play what I want and unlock some of this stuff?

Or at the very least, implement a means of exchanging one currency for another? I'd happily convert 10 EDCs into one Reman Datalog. I don't need the Reman set but it'd be nice to have but damn - not nice enough to play that terrible content...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomeight View Post
Don't be so hasty. They said that there would be an exchange of some sort. You may be able to convert them to something like Omega Reputation.
Beat me to it I hope you're right on this but Cryptic's record in this department is seriously lacking - I suspect they'll just let us turn all this useless currency into Latinum
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Commander
# 30
10-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomeight View Post
^^^ This This This. Either everyone just wants to bash Cryptic or they are really dim...

The old currencies were stupid in that they gated you against regular gear based on rank. Once you reach a new rank the old currency was worthless. The structure was the problem not the number of currencies so get over yourselves. Dilithium solved this problem by unifying rank bases currencies FOR REGULAR GEAR

What dilithium should not give you is the ability to purchase end game equipment obtained via hard "fun" and skill. I don't want some idiot grinding SFA Quickies via Investigate Officer Reports and lore quests with 7 characters, who then moves the DL via exchange to one char....to get M.A.C.O Mark XII grear or Reman MXII gear or whatever Special Mark XII gear. It would also prevent those from outright buying end game gear with zen to DL conv.

/thread
I too once raged against more currency taking up my inventory space. But one of the cryptic devs pretty much said what I did. New loot requires new currency otherwise everyone would just cash in their banked currency and not play the new stufff. Its just the way an MMO works.

Of course we have more special event currency then we did in season 2. None of the special events existed back then.

But the folks on the forms just find it too easy to say "OMG NEW CURENCY?!?! LOL FAIL MORE LIKE $TO Amirite". With out think the reasons why Cryptic does what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
But seriously - why does Cryptic care where I spend my time? If I could grind EDCs for the Reman Set I would - anything to make me not have to play that godawful Vault mission again.
So folks like you who have 100's of EDCs should be able to get all of Season 7's loot on day 1? You honestly don't see a problem with that?

Last edited by kingdoxy; 10-15-2012 at 03:48 PM.