Captain
What was the logic behind having resistance to plasma energy on STF shield gear? I feel i've never been given a satisfactory reason for it.

Its pretty much ruled out a class of energy weaponry to use in pvp. Any future solution fo this at all?

Personally, i love the colour and sound of plasma weapons fiering Shame i wont use the stuff in competative pvp for the above reasons....
Rihannsu
# 2
10-16-2012, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post
What was the logic behind having resistance to plasma energy on STF shield gear? I feel i've never been given a satisfactory reason for it.
[...]
Because Omega Force has a special pet enemy, who happens to use plasma weapons.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Captain
# 3
10-16-2012, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Because Omega Force has a special pet enemy, who happens to use plasma weapons.
Never knew your new name was Borticus...... And to me thats not a satisfactory logical justification. Very short sited if it is.

Last edited by naz4; 10-16-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Rihannsu
# 4
10-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Never knew your new name was Borticus......
Oh, it isn't. But the answer to your question is 1) obvious an 2) taking more time than a dev should spend to answer it when they have whole new season coming up, whith lots of interesting stuff that needs to be made and tested. I mean, you don't seriously expect him to answer all your requests, do you?

Quote:
And to me thats not a satisfactory logical justification. Very short sited if it is.
Well, STO is, first and foremost, a PvE MMORPG. Which means story reasons and PVE balance matter more than PvP balance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain
# 5
10-16-2012, 05:34 AM
STF...vs...Borg. Borg use Plasma. STF gear would be Anti-Plasma. Pretty straightforward. With more Borg STF stuff coming - it's going to stay that way.

I'm curious where the Rom Rep gear is going to fit in and who the Rom enemy is. They've aligned with the Remans, Federation, and KDF as they try to colonize in the new zone.

There have been some images with Tholian ships - are they going to be the "main" enemy for the new zone and content? If so, will the Rom Rep gear be anti-tet?

Then again, looking at the Ep Replay rewards for the Rom missions - it's [Pla][Tet] if not doing the reg/cov stuff. So perhaps it will just be more anti-plasma stuff...maybe split plasma/tet, eh?

edit: fixed a typo

Last edited by virusdancer; 10-16-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Captain
# 6
10-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
STF...vs...Borg. Borg use Plasma. STF gear would be Anti-Plasma. Pretty straightforward. With more Borg STF stuff coming - it's going to stay that way.

I'm curious where the Rom Rep gear is going to fit in and who the Rom enemy is. They've aligned with the Remans, Federation, and KDF as they try to colonize in the new zone.

There have been some images with Tholian ships - are they going to be the "main" enemy for the new zone and content? If so, will the Rom Rep gear be anti-tet?

Then again, looking at the Ep Reply rewards for the Rom missions - it's [Pla][Tet] if not doing the reg/cov stuff. So perhaps it will just be more anti-plasma stuff...maybe split plasma/tet, eh?
Thats where i was leading to. What will happen when the Romulan faction arrives in game. Bit pointless with the resistance.

Soph, please stay out.
Rihannsu
# 7
10-16-2012, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Thats where i was leading to. What will happen when the Romulan faction arrives in game. Bit pointless with the resistance.
[...]
Well, canonically, Romulans use disruptor beams and plasma torpedoes. So that should not hurt them, actually.

Besides, it is not as if player ships in PvP were all using phasers if they are Federation or disruptors if they are Klingons.
Captain
# 8
10-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Well, canonically, Romulans use disruptor beams and plasma torpedoes. So that should not hurt them, actually.

Besides, it is not as if player ships in PvP were all using phasers if they are Federation or disruptors if they are Klingons.
I repeat, please stay out...
Empire Veteran
# 9
10-16-2012, 05:57 AM
The obvious reason the STF gear is given resistance to plasma damage is that the Borg use plasma weapons. STFs are populated by Borg, hence gear you get as rewards doing STFs are plasma resistant. Whether or not the OP feels this is an adequate reason really doesn't matter. It is the reason.
Captain
# 10
10-16-2012, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty8mac View Post
The obvious reason the STF gear is given resistance to plasma damage is that the Borg use plasma weapons. STFs are populated by Borg, hence gear you get as rewards doing STFs are plasma resistant. Whether or not the OP feels this is an adequate reason really doesn't matter. It is the reason.
Why not just tone down the npc damage by X% rather than make a weapons class useless? More logical approach. The next question for me is if that was the case, why have plasma weapons as an option?