Lieutenant
# 11
10-16-2012, 07:02 AM
I was thinking about this the other day after getting an otherwise nice plasma weapon as a drop. Having [pla] on the top shields obviously makes plasma useless as a competitive energy type (the exchange price reflects it). The solution I came up with is drop the [pla] and make it [Borg]. Something resembling the mechanic already exists as we have Dlyrene, the doff that gives +10% damage against borg. The [Borg] would then just grant 20% resistance against borg. I agree with you naz, a plasma rig would be pretty cool.
Captain
# 12
10-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post
Thats where i was leading to. What will happen when the Romulan faction arrives in game. Bit pointless with the resistance.
I hadn't even thought that far down the road - just trying to figure out where the Rom Rep gear is going to fit in with the Rep System changes in comparison to the Omega Rep gear.

The Roms doing STFs would likely end up like everybody else - sporting the anti-plasma stuff and not touching plasma weapons (outside of Ker'rat and PUGs - heh, they can be fun there).

Kind of wish they had done something along the lines of modifiable gear - with a number of slots you could customize.

Uncommon - 1 slot.
Rare - 2 slots.
Very Rare - 3 slots.

Special Items may not have the slots or would have a reduced number of slots.

If you picked up a CAP/REG/PLA shield - you could pop out the PLA (it would be destroyed in the process) and drop in another module. If you had a DMGx3 weapon, you could pop out the three DMG (destroyed in the process) and drop in other modules.

Certain Special Items, as I said, would not allow you to do that - but in general, said items would generally be better as they are.

The system would involve crafting (for the modules) and DOFFs (for the modifications). Grab the module(s) - set the assignment for the DOFF team to make the customization...and you've got your new modified/customized gear. Heh, I'd throw in the module being lost on a failure and both the module/weapon being lost on a disaster.

edit: Saw the post about [Borg] and even something like that could fit in with what I mentioned - you'd need Very Rare DOFFs to pull of some of the special modules such as Borg, etc, etc.
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
10-16-2012, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Why not just tone down the npc damage by X% rather than make a weapons class useless? More logical approach.
Because that would mean you don't really benefit from the rewards of the STF's, which would make the rewards sort of pointless. And that is a Bad Thing.

Quote:
The next question for me is if that was the case, why have plasma weapons as an option?
You are still thinking PvP balance. That is a tertiary concern for the developers, and for good reasons.

You are right, of course, there might be better solutions - such as giving Borg their own weapon type, like "Borg plasma". But given the number of PvPers, is it (strictly economically speaking) worth the effort for them? I doubt it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Captain
# 14
10-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Because that would mean you don't really benefit from the rewards of the STF's, which would make the rewards sort of pointless. And that is a Bad Thing.

You are still thinking PvP balance. That is a tertiary concern for the developers, and for good reasons.

You are right, of course, there might be better solutions - such as giving Borg their own weapon type, like "Borg plasma". But given the number of PvPers, is it (strictly economically speaking) worth the effort for them? I doubt it.
For the third time, Sophologimo please stay out.
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Captain
# 15
10-16-2012, 07:12 AM
All such illogical mechanics.

Plasma sucks

Borg use Plasma

Yet Borg Plasma looks different than player's weapon plasma.

Yet its all 20% resisted by all accepted shield gear :/

Oh, and Hi Sophy ^^ Oh wait I shouldn't say that, sorry Sophisticated Uber-epic Logically Amigo!!!

MT
Career Officer
# 16
10-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Why not just tone down the npc damage by X% rather than make a weapons class useless? More logical approach. The next question for me is if that was the case, why have plasma weapons as an option?
That doesn't give the general playerbase the illusion of progress through gear.

One of the driving motivators is that they will get better gear to fight X enemy (and in this case specifically the one they are repeatedly fighting).

"vs. Borg Plasma" would have been the better compromise to allow Plasma Energy weapons to still be competitive in PvP.

Captain
# 17
10-16-2012, 07:31 AM
I always loved the plasma teal color, as well as the sound and especially the awesome-as-hell Geiger-looking weapons thumbnails... and yes, I RP a little, what of it...

I've begged Bort to do this for months and still nothing

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 18
10-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Why not just tone down the npc damage by X% rather than make a weapons class useless? More logical approach. The next question for me is if that was the case, why have plasma weapons as an option?
What I really don't get is why they didn't just use the [Borg] proc in the first place. They obviously have a flag that triggers only on Borg NPCs, so what's the big deal about making it work defensively, too?

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 19
10-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
What I really don't get is why they didn't just use the [Borg] proc in the first place. They obviously have a flag that triggers only on Borg NPCs, so what's the big deal about making it work defensively, too?
Now if it is as a reward as he who shall not be named suggested, whats the point in giving a reward that makes the same mission easier? Bit thoughtless and pointless.
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
10-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Now if it is as a reward as [...] suggested, whats the point in giving a reward that makes the same mission easier? Bit thoughtless and pointless.
Isn't that true for all rewards that you get in-game? Even the energy credits you receive at the end of a PvP queue match will eventually make PvP easier for you. That is just how rewards systems work.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584