Commander
# 11
10-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Probably no one remembers them, their names was Wes and Piper. Learned so much from them. Since tac and eng career never caught my eyes 100%, can speak for those. But I would vote for MT and Era. Anyways, the craziest/tuffest sci crew was Fista sistas, those dam mofas. And of course Linty. Mai too. Those two are jack of all trades. I haven't seen any other scis, at least half as good as them. Cept the one who only heal..which ...should be...engis job. Cheers!
Edit> OMG, Borgy and Shlloly, for the PUG! Shlo, come back!
[10:49] [Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 96581 (43411) Proton(Critical) to Seto.
Poor soul didnt have time to log out.

Last edited by ivantomdisplay; 10-16-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Captain
# 12
10-16-2012, 12:55 PM
STO is the first game I ever PvP'd in. There was one guy who was very cool to me in my early days and helped me over the initial shock. I found this laying around the archives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffadeuce View Post
@Azurian - c'mon m8, now you are basically calling for a nerf to TEAM WORK? Really.....?

After every major patch we have had one of these threads, usually entitled "Season x.x - The Death of PVP". Give it a few days...... people will adjust. Those that spent any time on Tribble already have.

Waff
The more things change, the more they stay the same, heh?

Kill feddy.
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
10-16-2012, 12:57 PM
It's awesome to have good people to ask if you want to. But isn't that like... having someone else solve a riddle for you?

But anyway, cool thread.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
10-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Kill feddy? Evil Klingun...
After a fierce battle against the evuls a Fed Captain needs some relax!
Captain
# 15
10-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
It's awesome to have good people to ask if you want to. But isn't that like... having someone else solve a riddle for you?

But anyway, cool thread.
Soph, as this thread is not one to garner dev attention anyway, and would not subsequently suffer from the derails caused by responding to you, I'm going to field this one.

I have, in the past, compared this game to martial arts.

I think you would do well to find yourself a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or other submission wrestling school and devote yourself to training there for, say, six months. You will find that you are unable to become proficient without the ability to tap out, that is, to acknowledge that you have been worked into an untenable position without any hope of escape and that further struggle will only result in bodily injury.

The mindset of someone who practices against resisting opponents in submission martial arts includes seeking after those who are their betters. They find someone who can whip them, then going back time and again until they understand what is being done until their own inefficiencies have been wrung out of their game.

I don't think you're from the U.S. so let me give you a snapshot of the mostly American Ultimate Fighting Championship. In the early 1990's it started up and there were loads of kung-fu masters, ninjas, and redneck dojo owners queuing up, along with some wrestlers, judo practitioners, kickboxers, and everything in between. And we were really excited because we would finally see these guys who gave lessons like "Now I can't hit you with this blow because it would kill you, so keep that in mind" actually have to put up or shut up. To a man, these McDojo redneck pajama ninjas found their deadly aura shattered and their profession rendered ridiculous.

Fast forward to present day. Most UFC fighters have one area that is stronger than others, but none are one-dimensional. Nobody ignores grappling training because they're a better puncher than everybody else. It's understood that you have to acquire certain fundamentals to compete at a high level. Nobody from tae kwon do or wing chun enters the UFC because that's been done, that question has been answered. Nobody says, my martial art is really fun, so I'm going to enter the UFC because if it's fun it's valid.

The UFC is 20 years in, STO is 1000 days in. So in answer to your question, no, it's not like having someone else solve a riddle for you. It's saying, "Hi, I've been doing some really fun things with NPCs in this game, but it seems ineffective against a thinking, resisting opponent. Instead of me wasting time trying to invent the wheel, could you tell me how you got yours looking so round and rolly?"
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
10-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
Soph, as this thread is not one to garner dev attention anyway, and would not subsequently suffer from the derails caused by responding to you, I'm going to field this one.
I don't derail threads. People who, for whatever reason, decide to forget the matter at hand just because I posted there do. Really, look through all the threads, you will find that it's not me. Not at all.

Quote:
I have, in the past, compared this game to martial arts.
And it's totally cool t see it that way. It's just not the only way to see it. As I wrote, it can also be seen as a riddle.

I didn't want to come across as snarky or anything, just throw in a single short hint that there are alternative ways of looking at it, which are just as valid.

Now, please ignore me and go on with your fun. Seriously.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Captain
# 17
10-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Where's my mention?

I'm undoubtedly the Master of Fail.
The first we heard of getting new PvP maps "soon" was in August of 2010. We're consistently told something will be coming with the "next" update. Absolutely nothing has come to PvP since launch.

I think it's finally time Cryptic stopped stringing us along, don't you?
Captain
# 18
10-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
And it's totally cool t see it that way. It's just not the only way to see it. As I wrote, it can also be seen as a riddle.
A riddle has a final answer. Once you know the answer, you're done, and maybe on to the next riddle. It removes the human element to treat PvP this way.

Treating PvP as you would a martial art acknowledges that, although there are "answers" as far as effective builds, the acquisition of skill is an ongoing process which contains a human element.

Quote:
...just throw in a single short hint that there are alternative ways of looking at it, which are just as valid.
They are valid in the sense that everyone is entitled to their opinion. If by valid you mean an approach which produces an equally proficient player, then no, they are less valid.
Commander
# 19
10-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxi5 View Post
Where's my mention?

I'm undoubtedly the Master of Fail.
I this game had more "fails" like you, it would be quite more interesting.
[10:49] [Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 96581 (43411) Proton(Critical) to Seto.
Poor soul didnt have time to log out.
Rihannsu
# 20
10-16-2012, 02:37 PM
What? No Carrier Masters? Hmph..
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku