Rihannsu
# 71
10-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Great work Cryptic, glad to see the old Captains Database returning, bigger and better than before!

It's still early days I know but I can see the potential of this (web)app. Like others I'd deffinately like to see the addition of DOFF access, mail, exchang, bank inventory etc.

Dedicated apps with notifications would be better IMO, but I can understand the teams decision to make it web based and platform ambiguous, I just hope the experience is consistent accross web browsers.

Still holding out hope for an API though, that would allow the community to pull public game data and use it for their own websites/apps.

This and the "Switch chars without logging" option are QoL improvements that will make my STO experience much more enjoyable.
MikeWard1701 (Special Envoy)

facebook twitter Steam STOwiki Raptr - feel free to follow/friend me : )
Captain
# 72
10-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdragon View Post
I couldn't care less really about this........thing.

It's just bling bling. PW's version of a cheap cupcake with cheap fancy toppings trying to look awesome, yet fails.

It is a cop out and Mobile browsers are junky and useless as well as an extra expense for the internet time. So it's NOT free........just to get it it is, but your paying for extra time to use it.

I'm not shelling out for a iPhone or crappy tablet that has a life span of 3 minutes nor any other yuppy garage device just to look cool on STO. Everyone knows that they have to wait for me to read my email, as I won't join the mindless herd.

Most likely won't use this feature, I have seen no serious use for it. If I have to have it ( oh, yes, I will be forced to have it or the game won't run) I'll just shunt it to a dark corner in my hard drive and close the door on it.

I don't care if I'm told by PW's Mr.Spin Doctor to try it, if I see a deflated ball with a massive puncture, why kick it? It's useless. Like the 1000 Day ship.

If I won't join Failbook just to play a game, what makes them think I'm wasting money on a mobile fail device?

Even if there was a gun to my head and PW telling me to use it, I'd say, go ahead pull the trigger. =3
If you can't see the use for this once they get the tools to actually do moe than look at the data in then you are simply downright retarded. Being able to manage Doff's, character equipment, inventories, and banks all without having to log in, (and therefore log in and out and run back and forth all over the dammed place with several toons), is going to be a HUGE timesaver. Just in terms of gamma quadrent commodity missions it's great becuase i cna do them across severla toons, then shove everything in the bank of the one character who actually uses them ATM super fast. currentlly that daily cleanup oporatioon takes me over an hour if i've had missions running on every character i have. With this i could be done in a fifth that as haklf the time is spent running from BE/ZA/e.t.c. to a bank and then shuffling everything in one item at a time via the in game interface. With this i can switch characters effortlessly from the looks of the interface. That and the lack of running about will be a huge help.

Frankly if they intigrate the exchange with it i suspct most players will spend longer on this utility than they will in game becuase i think we all waste way too much time on the managment stuff we have to do.
Lt. Commander
# 73
10-16-2012, 05:03 PM
I like how this is going, but I would like to see more rounded corners for the FED LCARS.
I know the current version of HTML5, CSS, and JavaScript allows for rounded corners.
Republic Veteran
# 74
10-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdragon View Post
Most likely won't use this feature, I have seen no serious use for it. If I have to have it ( oh, yes, I will be forced to have it or the game won't run)
No-one said that at all.
You don't have to use it if you don't want to.
Career Officer
# 75
10-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskin67 View Post
No-one said that at all.
You don't have to use it if you don't want to.
But... Just maybe, it'll be a C-Store purchase to enable it on your account.
Captain
# 76
10-16-2012, 06:05 PM
This is awesome. The MMO I used to play had this feature. So I could view my character anytime I wanted or to show it off. Like how they look, their accomplishments, and etc.

I'm very pleased to see this being added to STO.
Ensign
# 77
10-16-2012, 06:09 PM
The features stated so far are pretty much useless. I can't think of a single reason why I would need to go to a web page just to look at what my character has.

As a platform, I can see great potential IF the functionality is GREATLY expanded upon. Fleet management, exchange management, doff management, etc.

My fear however is that this will end up just being another way to try and squeeze more money out of the player base. "Unlock the ability to manage your doffs for 1000 zen!" etc. The money grab that this game is pulling is getting ridiculous.

What's really annoying is the fact that time and resources were wasted on this fluff when there are so many game bugs that need to be addressed. That and the serious lack of content for klingon and end game.

Last edited by djnooob; 10-16-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 78
10-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Kinda of excited about this. It's just the beginning of what's possible. Game chat integration, fleet projects view, mail, exchange, doffs, bank. Maybe even move your current toon around in sector space for doffing and is reflected when you log in to the game next.

One thing I think would be nice is to be able to link to your toon/boff profiles and ship pages so you can show your toon/ships (showing gear, stats etc) off to others.

Suggestion, on ship page show slotted boffs and their powers.

The interface looks nice and ties in with the STO game theme.

The fact that it's web based is a good thing IMO. That way updates to the system happen instantly on all platforms and Cryptic can spend their limited resources developing one thing rather than maintaining a web version anyway (for PC) plus separate Android and iOS apps. It's a smart use of limited resources.
Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO home page? Try THIS.
Devs, need Fleet Orion Marauder and Dacoit please! :-)

Using - Bulwark, Voth Fighter. Favs - Fleet Corsair, Mogh, Bastion, Nicor, JHEC, JAS
Some others - Orion Marauder, Chel Grett, Guramba, Risian Corvette, Risian Cruiser
Commander
# 79
10-16-2012, 06:39 PM
This looks really cool. There are a bajillion features that I would rather see added to the game than this, but at the same time...

Oh, to hell with it. I just love shiny things. And this is SO SHINY <3
Republic Veteran
# 80
10-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnooob View Post

My fear however is that this will end up just being another way to try and squeeze more money out of the player base. "Unlock the ability to manage your doffs for 1000 zen!" etc. The money grab that this game is pulling is getting ridiculous.

They said Free

The Following signature is not endorsed by the Dukat administration, and Down with Bajor Party