Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - Announcements and Release Notes
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,425
# 11
10-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3dz3p85 View Post
What does this mean? What are "patrols"? How are they different from normal missions?
Patrols are an author feature.

They allow the author to control where enemies go. Like having them walk along a hallway in a circle. Eventually, maybe have them change route based on things the player does or have mission contacts follow the player or walk from place to place.

One thing that occurs to me with patrols. Wasn't the Foundry changed forever ago so that enemies only spawn when the player gets close? And things out of range despawn?

What good is a patrol if it has to begin its route close to the player?
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 347
# 12
10-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Patrols are an author feature.

They allow the author to control where enemies go. Like having them walk along a hallway in a circle. Eventually, maybe have them change route based on things the player does or have mission contacts follow the player or walk from place to place.

One thing that occurs to me with patrols. Wasn't the Foundry changed forever ago so that enemies only spawn when the player gets close? And things out of range despawn?

What good is a patrol if it has to begin its route close to the player?
When NPC groups and contacts spawn hasn't changed since I've worked on the Foundry.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 307
# 13
10-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex View Post
When NPC groups and contacts spawn hasn't changed since I've worked on the Foundry.
His point still remains. The group has to be within 100m of a player to be on the map and thus following their patrol.

If this number could be increased we could actually make NPCs that seem to respond to the current mission objectives by placing their patrols near the objective but if they have to start within 100m of the player an author cant take it for granted that a player will be close enough to trigger the NPCs so they can follow the new way point.

Edit: Also I don't mean this to slight this feature. I can still think of quite a few interesting uses and Im really glad were getting it.

Last edited by kalani2; 10-16-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,425
# 14
10-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex View Post
When NPC groups and contacts spawn hasn't changed since I've worked on the Foundry.
Well, I was playing on my laptop so maybe I just didn't notice the beam-ins.

I could have sworn I used to be able to place a contact on a ledge, walk 200 yards away, and drop the contact off a cliff before the player returns. Whereas now they respawn/despawn.

Also was sure I used to be able to place enemies in an obscure corner of the map and use them as a "kill timer" for events in the mission.

My testing is sporadic so I'd be talking spring 2011 or maybe beta.

That would have been before you were a producer, I think, but you've been involved with the Foundry in some capacity longer than I have. So if I'm wrong, either I was exploiting bugs or I'm totally misremembering things.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,425
# 15
10-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalani2 View Post
His point still remains. The group has to be within 100m of a player to be on the map and thus following their patrol.

If this number could be increased we could actually make NPCs that seem to respond to the current mission objectives by placing their patrols near the objective but if they have to start within 100m of the player an author cant take it for granted that a player will be close enough to trigger the NPCs so they can follow the new way point.

Edit: Also I don't mean this to slight this feature. I can still think of quite a few interesting uses and Im really glad were getting it.
My big concern is that there's a good chance the patrol will never even be a factor before the player enters combat, which makes the work with patrols a TON of work that would be wasted. I KNOW devs have spent months on this and if nobody notices it, then at best it's a placeholder for doing the same thing with friendly mobs, where it WOULD be noticed.

Assuming they don't just sporadically despawn when they get over 100m away.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,474
# 16
10-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex View Post
We will be bringing the Tribble server down for maintenance to apply a new update.
ST.25.20121009e.8

Various server stability improvements.
Dare I ask how many more crashes that means?!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 546
# 17
10-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex View Post
  • Added patrols to the Foundry.
    • This time for realsies.
Props for use of "for realsies".
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 31
# 18
10-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Could this be what has killed the in-game Voice Chat?

Nobody seems to have this capability right now. What's the scoop?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 859
# 19
10-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsww View Post
dare I Ask How Many More Crashes That Means?! :p
0.3 %

edited to remove the smilies that did not work
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 270
# 20
10-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Since we can see the patrol movement in preview, does that mean we'll be able to see the wander movement in preview? If not, I may use patrols for friendlies instead of wander, as it may be easier to use. Patrols is definitely a great addition either way.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 AM.