Captain
# 31
10-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Frankly I have 1 thing to say about this change "AT LONG LAST!!"

Look, it's this set that allows everyone to tank to stupid degrees take this away and you do two things that benefit two communities:

1: You end the reign of tac tank/scorts thus giving the other ships a reason in PvE (admittedly it's only half the reform needed here but it's a start)

2: You end invincible cruisers in PvP, I run a shield strip cruiser, the only thing tat stops it is the borg shield heal

So I say to Cryptic "FINALLY! One step in the right direction, now can we end the DPS race as well?"
Career Officer
# 32
10-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
Frankly I have 1 thing to say about this change "AT LONG LAST!!"

Look, it's this set that allows everyone to tank to stupid degrees take this away and you do two things that benefit two communities:

1: You end the reign of tac tank/scorts thus giving the other ships a reason in PvE (admittedly it's only half the reform needed here but it's a start)

2: You end invincible cruisers in PvP, I run a shield strip cruiser, the only thing tat stops it is the borg shield heal

So I say to Cryptic "FINALLY! One step in the right direction, now can we end the DPS race as well?"
So replace one reign with another, in a few months people will be moaning about the unfairness of a Chimera with Phased Tets...

Seriously this is not the answer. The answer is to upgrade everything and actually give people a choice why do you think a lot of people were going with Borg 2 or 3 because the other sets frankly offered nothing at 3 Piece. Aegis, Breen and Jem were worthless at end game... so the solution is not replace one reign with another but to upgrade the sets and offer people a real alternative.

This frankly does nothing for the problem and as an aside utterly ruins whats left of the Science users in this game.
Captain
# 33
10-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by verlaine11 View Post
It would be different if the other sets were just as good as the Borg set, looking at the set bonuses of the MACO and Omega sets to me they are not that good, if i want to keep with a 3 piece Borg + Console i would have to use the Borg shield and i would drop from 14,500 to 11,200 shields but gain a Tractor beam with a horrible cooldown, great trade off. If i want to keep as i am, MACO shields + 2 piece now im very much worse off with no regen shield or tractor beam but the same shield

Im sure there are a lot of people who are worried thier set up is now going to be junk, i know adapt or die will be said but i dont know, its all very confusing and not good, have to see how it goes.
This is kinda how I feel about it. Ultimately it's not the end of the world and new ideas'll come up instead, but the root of the problem is that:

a) MACO shields are so good;

b) all of the non-Borg sets have lacklustre bonuses and really high opportunity costs.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 34
10-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
This is kinda how I feel about it. Ultimately it's not the end of the world and new ideas'll come up instead, but the root of the problem is that:

a) MACO shields are so good;

b) all of the non-Borg sets have lacklustre bonuses and really high opportunity costs.
What high opportunity costs? What else would you use? I'd use 3 part omega just for the individual boost as KDF 90% of the time.

Tet glider? Torp bonus damage? Polaron bonus damage? Transphasic damage? Aegis defensive boost?
Captain
# 35
10-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2wsucks View Post
What high opportunity costs? What else would you use? I'd use 3 part omega just for the individual boost as KDF 90% of the time.

Tet glider? Torp bonus damage? Polaron bonus damage? Transphasic damage? Aegis defensive boost?
It's hard to describe without seeing it in practice, but basically if you do Fedscort there's a big difference between running tet glider and running Borg instead. Tet glider is good if you build around it and you're playing with people you trust, but the argument goes that if you're dead you're dealing no damage so Borg is still king.

Klink-side I almost always go torps for KHG so it's kinda a different deal altogether.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Lieutenant
# 36
10-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Wonder if they are trying to "force" our hand into buying fleet weapons and shields and stuff. Outside of the borg set, I am not a fan of any of the other sets bonuses
Captain
# 37
10-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Looks like I'll have to swap out the engines on my B'rel Retrofit and get something a tad more useful.

Possibly go with the full HG set or the Omega engines. Honestly, the hull heals are sufficient enough to keep my torp boat alive.

My Fed character has only the borg console, so I'm not too broken up about this change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidraven26 View Post
Wonder if they are trying to "force" our hand into buying fleet weapons and shields and stuff. Outside of the borg set, I am not a fan of any of the other sets bonuses
I have been, more or less, unimpressed with all of the Fleet gear. With the exceptions of the Advanced Fleet ground weapons and the Advanced Fleet Impulse Engines.
Captain
# 38
10-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
It's hard to describe without seeing it in practice, but basically if you do Fedscort there's a big difference between running tet glider and running Borg instead. Tet glider is good if you build around it and you're playing with people you trust, but the argument goes that if you're dead you're dealing no damage so Borg is still king.

Klink-side I almost always go torps for KHG so it's kinda a different deal altogether.
What context are you talking about? PvE, PvP? I haven't used Borg set for PvP nor PvE in so long I'm having trouble getting the need of it.
Captain
# 39
10-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shookyang View Post
Looks like I'll have to swap out the engines on my B'rel Retrofit and get something a tad more useful.

Possibly go with the full HG set or the Omega engines. Honestly, the hull heals are sufficient enough to keep my torp boat alive.

My Fed character has only the borg console, so I'm not too broken up about this change.

I have been, more or less, unimpressed with all of the Fleet gear. With the exceptions of the Advanced Fleet ground weapons and the Advanced Fleet Impulse Engines.
3 part KHG bonus is crap. Combat engines are next to useless KHG or not. Go w/Aegis or Omega.
Captain
# 40
10-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2wsucks View Post
3 part KHG bonus is crap. Combat engines are next to useless KHG or not. Go w/Aegis or Omega.
Yeah, but I don't really care about speed. It's high enough as it is, plus the turn rate on it is ridiculous. I'm cloaked the majority of the time anyways.

However, now that you've mentioned the Aegis engine, I may consider that.