Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,898
# 41
10-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
So replace one reign with another, in a few months people will be moaning about the unfairness of a Chimera with Phased Tets...
This I would have no issue with, it's just another design choice phased tets hit with the phaser proc more than tetryon anyway and if you have any power insulators it becomes like blue phaser fire anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Seriously this is not the answer.
It may not be the best solution but it is a step in the right direction , the borg set is the ONLY reason escorts are as tanky as they are and thereby putting cruises out of a job in PvE and rendering them harmless in PvP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
The answer is to upgrade everything and actually give people a choice why do you think a lot of people were going with Borg 2 or 3 because the other sets frankly offered nothing at 3 Piece. Aegis, Breen and Jem were worthless at end game... so the solution is not replace one reign with another but to upgrade the sets and offer people a real alternative.
I agree that the other set bonuses leave something to be desired by comparison to the borg set but that's mainly sue to the mass healing from said set, before I got the Mk XII MACO set I used the Aegis one and was still very hard to kill, I do think the 3 piece bonus could use a boost although I hear that people had called for it to be nerfed shortly after it's creation which is a shame as I liked it's reactive shielding

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
This frankly does nothing for the problem and as an aside utterly ruins whats left of the Science users in this game.
And it doesn't ruin science at all, there are a lot of threats to science but this is not one of them, my science uses Omega set and does just fine. The real problem with the game as stated in "buff cruisers" threads everywhere is the DPS race that the endgame has become, fix that, sci powers (de-nerf them), escort tanking and perhaps bring their damage down a little and you fix the game
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,691
# 42
10-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Currently, without a full team perfectly working on some escorts, they're impossible to kill in pvp....
So often you hear this, and how no one ever thinks to say the same is true of cruisers. Lets not kid ourselves, PvP as a whole will never work right because the game simply isn't balanced for pvp, its not about classes or ship types, its far more fundamental than that.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,395
# 43
10-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2wsucks View Post
What context are you talking about? PvE, PvP? I haven't used Borg set for PvP nor PvE in so long I'm having trouble getting the need of it.
I only ever really post about PvP. Borg is pretty common there at all play levels. Very few people won't at least go two-piece, even on escorts, because the opportunity cost is so low (you get one part from a console that's awesome in its own right, so).

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,395
# 44
10-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
It may not be the best solution but it is a step in the right direction , the borg set is the ONLY reason escorts are as tanky as they are and thereby putting cruises out of a job in PvE and rendering them harmless in PvP
This isn't remotely true and misinfo like this is part of why balance is so wild, random and messy.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,691
# 45
10-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
This isn't remotely true and misinfo like this is part of why balance is so wild, random and messy.
I will have to disagree. Not that misinformation is bad and causes lots of unnecessary headaches, because it does. But I disagree on the part of why balance is "wild, random and messy". A dev once explained HOW they balance things. Its done against what they perceive an average player will do. Where an average player might get a 100 bonus to "X", a PvPer will naturally build around "X" to get a 300 bonus to it. This is why pvp will never work in STO as more than a nice diversion now and then. I do think PvP could be improved despite this... but it would involve pug and premades having different queues.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 46
10-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger1414 View Post
So often you hear this, and how no one ever thinks to say the same is true of cruisers. Lets not kid ourselves, PvP as a whole will never work right because the game simply isn't balanced for pvp, its not about classes or ship types, its far more fundamental than that.
I don't expect perfect balance in any game, perfect balance requires games with very simple mechanics, or, in complex ones, everyone with the same ship, the same gear, the same build, or something very smilar to the "champion mode" in age of empires online, where you play with your civ without any gear and a standard build. But there's still a lot of room for improvement, and this change is IMO a step in the right direction.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 633
# 47
10-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Yeah as i've said allready this is a good thing. Before you could allways have a good sheild and some great borg set regen bonusus. Now you have to pick between the two. When there was a fundamental issue with that healing being too good, (along with other heals shimmerless), in some circumstances the anwser isn';t to make everything else as good as that does nothing to reduces the undesirable amounts of healing. Nerfing our ability to acess it is a tottally good thing.

That said for any sci build that relied on MACE + 3pc borg this is a huge nerf in PVE and PVP. The issue of course is that escorts and sci are both that littile bit less tanky than cruisers in base stats terms, but escorts have the extra speed. This makes sci very weak. Cruisers have long been where they need to be tank wise and i don't see them suffering that much from this. Escorts have been too good. But IMHO sci have been about right and this is going to have harsh negetive effects on them. Of course if they fix tac team so sci team is viable without nerfing overall sheild tanking in the process then i can see sci clawing that back and then some.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,691
# 48
10-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
I don't expect perfect balance in any game.....
I agree that perfect balance will never occur in a game with as much choice and variables as STO has, some of which are even hidden from players and stealth changed. BUT! That does not give Cryptic a pass! I think they are so far away from balanced that its clear they're not even giving it lip service.
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 22
# 49
10-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Actually They are just bringing the retro set up to the other console sets out there . Sure its a nerf .. they have to weaken the stuff we got so the new stuff is more desirable . I'm sure ( sarcasm ) they have a plan that will come together and all will be reviled and there will be great rejoicing ! But still fun game , just wish they would stop changing stuff we have been using for years now !
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,395
# 50
10-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger1414 View Post
I will have to disagree. Not that misinformation is bad and causes lots of unnecessary headaches, because it does. But I disagree on the part of why balance is "wild, random and messy". A dev once explained HOW they balance things. Its done against what they perceive an average player will do. Where an average player might get a 100 bonus to "X", a PvPer will naturally build around "X" to get a 300 bonus to it. This is why pvp will never work in STO as more than a nice diversion now and then. I do think PvP could be improved despite this... but it would involve pug and premades having different queues.
I'm in full agreement but honestly the skies'll fall before we'll get a real queue system, I'm just grateful we have one at all.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:01 AM.