Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Rihannsu
So its nice and sunny and I'm in a good mood.

Bort, since you seem to have taken over the job of PvP Zsar, despite my occasional disagreements here and there, I m glad that you did.

While it is pretty clear that baby steps, or bread crumbs, is all that is in store for pvp until S9, and based on past experiences, long after that, I don't have the slightest idea about your reasons for whatever changes happen with each patch.

From your point of view, what is the guiding principal of PvP development? I understand that you cannot spill the beans on current developements, timelines, etc, it would be better not to. But in general terms, what is it you guys want to achieve with your changes, and how did you identify xyz as a problem.

I think knowing more about your perspective might help us provide more constructive feedback as well.

TL; DR Is there method to this madness?
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Career Officer
# 2
10-18-2012, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
So its nice and sunny and I'm in a good mood.

Bort, since you seem to have taken over the job of PvP Zsar, despite my occasional disagreements here and there, I m glad that you did.

While it is pretty clear that baby steps, or bread crumbs, is all that is in store for pvp until S9, and based on past experiences, long after that, I don't have the slightest idea about your reasons for whatever changes happen with each patch.

From your point of view, what is the guiding principal of PvP development? I understand that you cannot spill the beans on current developements, timelines, etc, it would be better not to. But in general terms, what is it you guys want to achieve with your changes, and how did you identify xyz as a problem.

I think knowing more about your perspective might help us provide more constructive feedback as well.

TL; DR Is there method to this madness?
id personally prefer to hear from the guy whos actually "working" on pvp. no offense bort, but you arent the "offical" guy assigned to us.

i do wonder who that "offical" dude is though and why borticus has to "deal" with us when its this other dudes job...

odd...
Empire Veteran
# 3
10-18-2012, 03:24 AM
we can only assume there is no one, seeing as 99% of the time its just bort commenting on balance issues that get brought up
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
# 4
10-18-2012, 03:27 AM
Maybe Bort's dealing with anything that's cropping up in the mean time while our mystery PvP Dev continues where Gozer left off and is porting thing from Neverwinter etc etc.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
10-18-2012, 03:27 AM
We should not be confusing forum posts in the PvP subforum (which may very well just serve general system balancing) with actual work on PvP content.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Rihannsu
# 6
10-18-2012, 03:37 AM
Well if there is an official guy, or if Bort has a boss telling him to "do stuff about PvP" *hint hint* the same questions apply to them.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Career Officer
# 7
10-18-2012, 03:40 AM
Is Borticus really the pvp dev? I though he was the dev who knows his way around abilities... And that he has realized that abilities have to be balanced through pvp.

If anything, I think we're quite lucky to have a dev with the skill to change abilities AND the sense to know where to get feedback on them.

As for whatever attention pvp is getting... I think it's more of a steady maintenance approach. Identify issues and adress them when time permits. This means there will always be a weighing of the magnitude of the issue vs. the cost of the fix. This may lead to a minor problem getting attention before a big problem, because fixing it is easy.

My hunch: Bort is working on many different things, and whenever he's learning/changing one part of the game, he takes some time to adjust abilities related to it. Much like a janitor who is on his way to repair the central heating, if he walks by a loose doorknob on his way there, he pulls out his screwdriver and fixes it, and then proceeds towards his goal.
Captain
# 8
10-18-2012, 12:28 PM
PvP dev is a myth. You are more likely to encounter Yeti.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
10-18-2012, 12:32 PM
That's right! Never existed a PvP Dev...otherwise we would have already more rewards, maps, balance and so on...
After a fierce battle against the evuls a Fed Captain needs some relax!
Cryptic Studios Team
# 10
10-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dassemsto View Post
My hunch: Bort is working on many different things, and whenever he's learning/changing one part of the game, he takes some time to adjust abilities related to it. Much like a janitor who is on his way to repair the central heating, if he walks by a loose doorknob on his way there, he pulls out his screwdriver and fixes it, and then proceeds towards his goal.
This is closer to the truth for our current state of priorities. We intend to make PvP a larger focus in the future, but for now we're just fixing/tuning things as they crop up on our immediate radar.

My personal design motivation: For PvP to be a balanced and fun experience that offers rewarding gameplay for both long-term experts, and brand new players.

But that's just me. That's not an executive mandate or anything.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...