Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Captain
Fellow players:

Please find the link below. This is the second installment in a multi-part series that goes through the entire KDF story arc, asking the question, "What is the story anyways?" Join me for the next few weeks as we experience the KDF story as both readers and players. Qapla'!:

http://priorityonepodcast.com/wordpr...nyway-part-ii/

@gradstudent1
PvP Boot Camp Project Leader Emeritus
Empire Veteran
# 2
10-18-2012, 08:19 AM
While I like the Federation war, which makes sense in a ST universe, I don't really agree with your conclusions about the fehkiri storyline. I know that's just a matter of preference, but I see it as boring and tedious pew-pewing. Most of the time, people love it or hate it, but at least we're never indifferent. And I don't like seeing the same assets over and over anyway.
Captain
# 3
10-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback, diogene0. When you refer to assets, I assume you are referring to the Fek'Ihri themselves and their ships. I found the combat, both in terms of its goals and its environments, to be sufficient diverse. But due to the lore-rich nature of the story, I may simply have a special place in my heart for the missions=).

I actually think the Fek'Ihir return shows a nice balance between pew pew and dialogue. Think about the lore singers, the conversations with Kahless, the conversations with the barge rowers (okay the dialogue here is a bit tedious since you have to say the same thing to all of them), even the dialogue with J'mpok about the response of the high council.

But as you say, this is a matter of preference. I like fish, maybe you like steak; at least we get something to eat in the end=)

@gradstudent1
Empire Veteran
# 4
10-18-2012, 09:13 AM
I enjoyed the Fek'Ihir storyline as well. It is among the best missions in game both visually and contentwise, but I was always curiuos how thier return tied into the grand Undine/Iconian/Borg subversion and war issue.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Career Officer
# 5
10-18-2012, 10:39 AM
All I know is, when I see Karfi in a Blockade mission, I immediately brace my self for a low Marks payout.

They Fek'Iiri are MEAN in a fight.

And I'm a BIG fan of expanding that conflict, in addition to strengthinging the Undine infiltration storyline.

We are an Empire under siege. We are fighting enemies on all fronts - the Fek'Iiri from dimensions unknown, the Undine from within our own ranks and the ranks of our former friends, and the Borg. The assaults upon the Klingon way of life are manifest in spiritual, political, and physical assaults (respectively). there is an old Martial Arts Fable I used to know that could apply here -

EDIT: found it! The Okinawan tale of how Master Matsumura defeated another master without ever exchanging a single blow. (as told by Funakoshi)

Quote:
Matsumura voice became soft. "Perhaps," he said, "But I know this: you were determined to win and I was just as determined to die if I lost. That was the difference between us."
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 5-5-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.

Last edited by jnohd; 10-18-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Career Officer
# 6
10-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Regarding the commentary on "modernity":

Science is currently suggesting something now not so far removed from the cornerstones of religion, at least in the Intelligent Design and Great Plan departments, with the recent theory regarding the likelihood, both through evidence observed and theoretical probability, that this universe is a simulation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_1957777.html

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...e-universe-as/

Which of course had me reliving final moments of "Ship in a Bottle"... and longing for Moriarty-set-free (thanks to the 2394 decision regarding the Doctor) and exacting his revenge on reality mission arc.
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.

Last edited by jnohd; 10-18-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Captain
# 7
10-18-2012, 11:49 AM
This is all interesting stuff, jnohd.

The relationship between Star Trek, modernity, and religion is absolutely fascinating. Here are some books on related topics:

Star trek and sacred ground [electronic resource] : explorations of Star trek, religion, and American culture / edited by Jennifer E. Porter and Darcee L. McLaren.
Jennifer E. Porter 1964-; Darcee L. McLaren 1965-; NetLibrary, Inc.
Albany, N.Y. : State University of New York Press c1999

Deep space and sacred time : Star trek in the American mythos / Jon Wagner, Jan Lundeen.
Jon G Wagner Jan Lundeen 1956-
Westport, Conn. : Praeger 1998

Star Trek and philosophy : the wrath of Kant / edited by Jason T. Eberl and Kevin S. Decker.
Jason T Eberl; Kevin S Decker
Chicago, Ill. : Open Court c2008

The metaphysics of Star Trek / Richard Hanley.
Richard Hanley
New York : BasicBooks c1997

I am all for expanding the Fek'Ihri storyline. There are quite a few unanswered questions, like where they actually came from. Perhaps this was left intentionally ambiguous, not sure.

But to be honest, as far as I can see, the KDF storyline is littered with underdeveloped enemies--casualties of half-completed storylines, etc. I would be more interested in a focused set of enemies (e.g., Fed, Fek'Ihri, and Iconian), rather than the swarm of foes we now face, which is actually quite unrealistic.

@gradstudent1
Captain
# 8
10-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohd View Post
Regarding the commentary on "modernity":

Science is currently suggesting something now not so far removed from the cornerstones of religion, at least in the Intelligent Design and Great Plan departments, with the recent theory regarding the likelihood, both through evidence observed and theoretical probability, that this universe is a simulation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_1957777.html

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...e-universe-as/

Which of course had me reliving final moments of "Ship in a Bottle"... and longing for Moriarty-set-free (thanks to the 2394 decision regarding the Doctor) and exacting his revenge on reality mission arc.
Two great authors on the science/religion discussion (non-Intell Design folks):

John Polkinghorne: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Polkinghorne

Alan Padgett: http://www2.luthersem.edu/apadgett/

@gradstudent1
Career Officer
# 9
10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
My hope (optimistic though it maybe) is that ultimately, there is only one villain in the background.

Think of it in these terms - We are at war with the Federation because of the Undine, who are undermining all governments in the two quadrants. At the same time, the Fek'Ihri just happen to return and weaken our ability to fight a full war with the Federation, and their focus is diminished by new incursions from the Wormhole at DS9 as well as True Way and other minor threats. Meanwhile, the Borg have happened to get close enough to make everyone sit up and take notice.

Behind all this, we see several mentions of a hidden Iconian threat - always a single ship or single point of contact.

Perhaps as the game reaches a more complete stage, we will come to discover the true influence behind all these coincidental threats? Some singular Iconian remnant come to life to pull at the strings of Borg, Undine, Fek'Ihri alike?

Or perhaps my expectations are set too high.

EDIT: Noteworthy - I do see the "minor" foes we (all of STO) face as opportunistic carrion feeders. The Devidians especially, but True Way, Tholian, and Breen are just as guilty of taking advantage of the primary galactic conflict to carve out something for themselves. I don't see any of them as major roles in the overall galactic story. Some part of me hopes that as they push up the level limit, and increase our involvement in the bigger arcs, we will be forced to chose which conflict we will become entangled in: Fek'Ihri (or Mirror for Fed?), Federation, or Borg. Mastery in one leading to access to some final Iconian conflict?

Last edited by jnohd; 10-18-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Captain
# 10
10-18-2012, 01:43 PM
I see it as something bigger than the Iconians-like maybe we're seeing the re-emergence of the Fel'khri, Iconians, and Borg as a kind of "Movement of the tribes" as witnessed in the latter days of the Roman empire, when germanic and slavic tribes pushed west en-masse.

They were, of course, pushing west because the Mongols were hot on their heels. Something BIG is pushing these old enemies into the light-to borrow from another property...

"The Shadows are on the move".