Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Starfleet Veteran
# 11
10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Go Borticus, go!
After a fierce battle against the evuls a Fed Captain needs some relax!
Empire Veteran
# 12
10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
This is closer to the truth for our current state of priorities. We intend to make PvP a larger focus in the future, but for now we're just fixing/tuning things as they crop up on our immediate radar.

My personal design motivation: For PvP to be a balanced and fun experience that offers rewarding gameplay for both long-term experts, and brand new players.

But that's just me. That's not an executive mandate or anything.
i fear the only way to get new players to survive more then 5 seconds in a match is to improve the npc's, make them more player ship like. on ground, the npcs do everything the player can do, heal, use abilities, shoot like you, in space npcs couldn't be more limited or basic.

at least 50% of space npc durability NEEDS to come from them cycling heals, and they should be fireing 6, 7, 8 weapon like players do too, instead of 1 or 2 and a torp with a huge npc damage modifier applied to them. that will do wonders for pvp, and make the pve 10 times as fun. it would be as simple as giving npcs multiple copies of abilities and having code that tells them to use it as soon as it comes off cool down

i cant think of anything that would be more beneficial to the game then doing this. as a result new players can jump into pvp and know what to do. it would mean not focusing directly on pvp again, but i think indirectly it will do the most good for it, and with more people playing it cryptic wont have to reluctantly spend time working on this underpopulated content.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
# 13
10-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
i fear the only way to get new players to survive more then 5 seconds in a match is to improve the npc's, make them more player ship like. on ground, the npcs do everything the player can do, heal, use abilities, shoot like you, in space npcs couldn't be more limited or basic.
just allow people to que up to control the Borg ships in the STFs!

It'd be hysterical... you'd never know if one of those spheres will be player controlled and kick your behind!
Commander
# 14
10-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Quote:
My personal design motivation: For PvP to be a balanced and fun experience that offers rewarding gameplay for both long-term experts, and brand new players.
Quote:

at least 50% of space npc durability NEEDS to come from them cycling heals, and they should be fireing 6, 7, 8 weapon like players do too, instead of 1 or 2 and a torp with a huge npc damage modifier applied to them. that will do wonders for pvp, and make the pve 10 times as fun. it would be as simple as giving npcs multiple copies of abilities and having code that tells them to use it as soon as it comes off cool down

i cant think of anything that would be more beneficial to the game then doing this. as a result new players can jump into pvp and know what to do. it would mean not focusing directly on pvp again, but i think indirectly it will do the most good for it, and with more people playing it cryptic wont have to reluctantly spend time working on this underpopulated content.
Both sound great to me.
Career Officer
# 15
10-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Quote:

I think they tend to shy away from this because Cryptic realizes how carebear and pathetic the PvE population is. Remember D'deridex defenders?

That being said, here's a potential solution:
  1. Scale back NPC ships at lower tiers to provide a learning curve for new players.
  2. But that doesn't help people at max level get on the difficulty curve, so to begin with have every NPC ship scale down to ensign level. Every three weeks or so, scale up the subsequent ranks until you have a linear progression.
Career Officer
# 16
10-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:

I wish they'd at least have some special "boss" NPC types that were closer to a PvP enemy. Maybe someday the foundry will let us have that kind of customization.
Career Officer
# 17
10-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dassemsto View Post
just allow people to que up to control the Borg ships in the STFs!

It'd be hysterical... you'd never know if one of those spheres will be player controlled and kick your behind!
Actually, I think that'd be a GREAT form of PVP, and could make for a more satisfying experience for players, provided they're not just trying to farm rewards. I've played "autopilot" STFs before where everything was nice, precise, methodical, and highly efficient, but boring as hell. They had it down to a science, and that honestly made me less interested in playing with those folks.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Career Officer
# 18
10-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
This is closer to the truth for our current state of priorities. We intend to make PvP a larger focus in the future, but for now we're just fixing/tuning things as they crop up on our immediate radar.

But that's just me. That's not an executive mandate or anything.
Could I suggest a fixed format and an unlimited format? Unlimited being what we have now, but the fixed format having pre-configured ships and teams? Perhaps specific scenarios (lots of low rank ships vs a few big ones, divided by rank, etc).

Also, each ship configuration having a point value, with each side (however many) having a limited number of points to assemble their team? Sort of like a tabletop strategy game like Warmachine or Warhammer?

I realize this would be a "not insignificant" amount of work, but could be a temporary measure between now and whenever a full overhaul is done. If the format proves popular, it could be expanded upon.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Career Officer
# 19
10-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Quote:
We intend to make PvP a larger focus in the future, but for now we're just fixing/tuning things as they crop up on our immediate radar.
mhm... hearing exactly that for 3 years now.
and thats the reason i could not care less about PvP, because it's going nowhere.

all that happens ever is one more balance pass or nerf or buff of random space wizzard powers,
but nothing in terms of new game modes or even maps.

sorry that is not improving PvP, that is maintaining the status quo of PvP.
there will allways be that new set or power or c-store console that requires more balance changes.
granted those are needed, but that is getting pvp nowhere in the big picture.

yet that could all be a non issue already, because such maps and even modes could be build via the Foundry (what is really needed for a pvp map but spawnpoints and a map?),

if Cryptic gave us the tools and a foundry pvp map queue.... *sigh* so much untapped potential.
Captain
# 20
10-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Also, I'm pretty sure many people would buy lifetime subs with decent pvp support for this game.