Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,642
# 231
10-20-2012, 10:56 PM
https://twitter.com/CaptainGeko/stat...41429137469440

I'm al Rivera, and I approve this message.

......


(Almost) no one cares about the forums.

Game forums in general are known to be stereotyped as the place where petulant man-children rant and rave about everything that's "wrong" with the game. Therefore, there's no such thing as "bad press" on the forums, because by association, forums are known to be nothing but the home of ranting tirades. Rarely, someone in the game press will refer to a game's forums, but only to reinforce something already in a story. Press or breaking info rarely starts wholly from the forums (usually Marketing posts something elsewhere first or in conjunction with a thread), because, by their reputation, no one but die-hard fans and community reps read them.

Get some perspective - it's a video game.

People will complain incessantly on the forums about even the most trivial things. Look, I understand that you're upset about your ship's turn rate or the latest "nerf" for whatever. It doesn't main you have to go on a tirade every chance you get. You're in your 30s for crying out loud, be mature and realize that it's just a video game. Otherwise you just end up getting wrapped around the axle and looking like this guy, getting kicked off the forums and keeping track of every little developer-induced injustice from your secret underground lair (read: mother's basement). Is this how you want to live your life? Or would you rather enjoy a warm summer day with friends and/or loved ones and blow up some Borg when you want to relax and put your feet up? That's what I thought.

Last edited by levi3; 10-20-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 76
# 232
10-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Yes, (almost) no one cares about the forums but...Do you remember SOE/SWG/NGE? So, (almost) no one cares about the STO players comunity? Forum, in game zone chats, Fleets forums...That is the STO players comunity and I think the incoming S7 changes dont like.
Ensign
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
# 233
10-21-2012, 12:54 AM
Honestly, if these changes go through, I may just stop playing. I love the doff system how it is. I don't have to play the normal game to have fun. Making it impossible to play the doff system, without grinding for dilithium will completely ruin the game for me.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,007
# 234
10-21-2012, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I don't think the devs understand the extent of it and they make the game. Maybe it's just that I've never made over $20,000 and I'm a small fry at the country club but if you follow their twitters or talk to them, they always see the forums as overblown bluster. Geko linked to a post on STO Wiki on Friday that basically said as much.

https://twitter.com/CaptainGeko/stat...41429137469440

I don't understand their perspective or how they can be less wrapped up in this than people here are. I'm not the best at accomplishing it but people, I think, feed on the approval of other people. There's no one alive whose approval I wouldn't want if I thought I could get it.

I let myself get dragged back into this discussion and I shouldn't have. Time for a break.
Well, I'd say that most of the stuff on the forums IS "over-blown bluster". That's pretty much a given when you have posts made based on nothing but nerd-rage. I remember the Nerd-rage when the Jem ship was released. Peeps were complaining about how there were so few and that they were the "best" ship in the game, and etc, etc, etc.......

It literally happens EVERY time the Devs add/change/remove anything that people actually notice.

After looking at the new dil costs in person.... enh, they're not bad. The compactor was a bit too cheap before, IMO. you're not supposed to compact every doff you get.

1k dil for general recruitment every few days isn't much of a decrease in "income". Honestly, any cost below 500 dil would be too trivial to be meaningful. And 500 is the new cost of the whtie>green compactor.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 609
# 235
10-21-2012, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I don't think the devs understand the extent of it and they make the game. Maybe it's just that I've never made over $20,000 and I'm a small fry at the country club but if you follow their twitters or talk to them, they always see the forums as overblown bluster. Geko linked to a post on STO Wiki on Friday that basically said as much.

https://twitter.com/CaptainGeko/stat...41429137469440

I don't understand their perspective or how they can be less wrapped up in this than people here are. I'm not the best at accomplishing it but people, I think, feed on the approval of other people. There's no one alive whose approval I wouldn't want if I thought I could get it.

I let myself get dragged back into this discussion and I shouldn't have. Time for a break.
The very fact that Geko even linked that, validates his, and the rest of the devs complete detachment from their own playerbase.

This is just another example ( among many ) where the devs declare "oh they are just whining over nothing, they should worship me for the work I do for them LOLZ." An attempt to live in their own imaginary land, that isn't even on a currently running STO server.

Just remember, Stahl is concentrating on "EndGame Content" is all they are focusing on, it is just another way of saying, "we are just finding more ways to squeeze our playerbase dry, with recycled content."

Remember the company Stahl worked for? Remember when all of this garbage started?

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 633
# 236
10-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Quote:
After looking at the new dil costs in person.... enh, they're not bad. The compactor was a bit too cheap before, IMO. you're not supposed to compact every doff you get.
Then tell me, what are yiou supposed to do with all those white doffs if you don;t have a SB to fee them to, what are SB's a T3+ supposed to do to get mass quantaties of greens?

The grinder is the only thing that makes them useful. I might as well just dismiss them with this change, and since bassiclly all doffs are white from the recruitment missions that means i might as well stop using them at all.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 477
# 237
10-21-2012, 04:59 AM
I have an idea ... remove the daily refinement cap cumpletely. Then this might work. ^^
"Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 61
# 238
10-21-2012, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl103 View Post
Then tell me, what are yiou supposed to do with all those white doffs if you don;t have a SB to fee them to, what are SB's a T3+ supposed to do to get mass quantaties of greens?

The grinder is the only thing that makes them useful. I might as well just dismiss them with this change, and since bassiclly all doffs are white from the recruitment missions that means i might as well stop using them at all.
yep pretty much this, 90% of the doffs you get are whites and if the charge additional time for it (aka dilithium) to gain them and then more time to actually make them somewhat useful aka green or blue its pointless, its not like you dont already spent a quite long time go throught the grinder in the first place.

To just make on single purple you need 125 whites and then you have a random chance to get anything... oh boy how I love it when you get a purple chef.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 312
# 239
10-21-2012, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Well, I'd say that most of the stuff on the forums IS "over-blown bluster". That's pretty much a given when you have posts made based on nothing but nerd-rage. I remember the Nerd-rage when the Jem ship was released. Peeps were complaining about how there were so few and that they were the "best" ship in the game, and etc, etc, etc.......

It literally happens EVERY time the Devs add/change/remove anything that people actually notice.

After looking at the new dil costs in person.... enh, they're not bad. The compactor was a bit too cheap before, IMO. you're not supposed to compact every doff you get.

1k dil for general recruitment every few days isn't much of a decrease in "income". Honestly, any cost below 500 dil would be too trivial to be meaningful. And 500 is the new cost of the whtie>green compactor.
The voice of reason xD Be silent , we don't want to hear you on these forums :-P

Doffs are too cheap to get now. This really shows in the speed we are getting T3 an T4 starbases. Something which occupy small fleets for years has be done in a few months by a single persoun o.O

The cost for upgrading the boffs are high. They should be cut down especially if we need a lot of purple doffs for the starbases.

The only persoun who are really affected by these changes are nor the casual players but the hardcore players who wants to build his starbase alone AND get all the ships AND wants 300 purple doffs.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 312
# 240
10-21-2012, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewi View Post
The very fact that Geko even linked that, validates his, and the rest of the devs complete detachment from their own playerbase.

This is just another example ( among many ) where the devs declare "oh they are just whining over nothing, they should worship me for the work I do for them LOLZ." An attempt to live in their own imaginary land, that isn't even on a currently running STO server.

Just remember, Stahl is concentrating on "EndGame Content" is all they are focusing on, it is just another way of saying, "we are just finding more ways to squeeze our playerbase dry, with recycled content."

Remember the company Stahl worked for? Remember when all of this garbage started?
The forums is NOT the playerbase ;-) Just a very special bunch of players reads AND comments on the forum. Do any PUG Elite STF. Most of the time 50% of them even don't know that distance reduces your damage. Even people with over 100STF's and 6500accolades points. They don't care !!!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 PM.