Career Officer
# 311
10-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
tl;dr
Lol. really? all that working out and you didn't even think to conclude that I use EC's to buy duty officer packs on the exchange? It's already expensive enough as it is having to convert dili to zen then zen to keys then keys to EC to do this, as well as tour the galaxy and all the other ways to make EC. It's already a big drain on resources as it is. I think the duty officer system is an integral part of the game. At least we both agree the ultimate aim is to upgrade your doffs and get experience.

You clearly don't use the doff system that much... I can understand why this doesn't seem like much to you based on that.

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 10-22-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Rihannsu
# 312
10-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Lol. really? all that working out and you didn't even think to conclude that I use EC's to buy duty officer packs on the exchange? It's already expensive enough as it is having to convert dili to zen then zen to keys then keys to EC to do this, as well as tour the galaxy and all the other ways to make EC. It's already a big drain on resources as it is. I think the duty officer system is an integral part of the game. At least we both agree the ultimate aim is to upgrade your doffs and get experience.

You clearly don't use the doff system that much... I can understand why this doesn't seem like much to you based on that.
I did the math based on the known variables. :p You spending giant sums to buy even more doffs was an unknown variable. :p

Truthfully, I spend more time doffing than other stuff. but I usually only login long enough to queue missions then rotate chars. I have 9 chars so rotating through all of them takes a while. I suppose someone who only uses one or two chars would see things very differently.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 313
10-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
I did the math based on the known variables. :p You spending giant sums to buy even more doffs was an unknown variable. :p

Truthfully, I spend more time doffing than other stuff. but I usually only login long enough to queue missions then rotate chars. I have 9 chars so rotating through all of them takes a while. I suppose someone who only uses one or two chars would see things very differently.
Hehe, well I found very quickly the only way to really get a good crew of Duty Officer together was buying the packs or picking up very cheap individuals... it still ate a whole in my dilithium either way!

I just found that for me the juiciest assignments are the rare ones and and uncommon ones and I failed them often until I kitted out with enough purps... and things like console construction and hamlet damn well near require entire sets of purps.

Yeah I only have 3 and only one of them has dailies at the moment as it's the only with a full compliment of doffs of *any* colour lol. Between mission advancement STF's and doffs I can easily kill 4 nights out of 5 just grinding.
Lieutenant
# 314
10-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
And besides, how often do you expect to have to pay the 5k that would be required to compact doffs to make a purple?
I turn blues into a purple at least once every single day. Just because you don't, it doesn't mean that other people don't use the compactor.

And you know what...half the time the purple I get is worth less than the blues I put into it.

With the added Dilithium cost, my motivation to take that risk will no longer exist. It's unlikely I'll take that gamble ever again.
Starfleet Veteran
# 315
10-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Quote:
So? You really expect to be able to get a full set of purple doffs in 2-3 months??? Hehe... not really how the system is supposed to work.

Getting dil for dismissing doffs was never supposed to be a major source of income, so after the devs figured out people were abusing it they axed it.

And now we have people who compact and un-compact all day just to get rid of all of the doffs they don't like. Um.... yeah you see where this is going right?
I expect common sense from the devs, not a person who rivals Trek21.

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
Lieutenant
# 316
10-22-2012, 05:36 PM
A lot of people seem to think this is a change meant to stop people from abusing the system with a series of compacting/uncompacting.

If that's the case, there's a simpler solution that I'm certain would get a lot less negative feedback. Remove the DOFF splitter. Problem solved.
Rihannsu
# 317
10-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emperormak View Post
I turn blues into a purple at least once every single day. Just because you don't, it doesn't mean that other people don't use the compactor.

And you know what...half the time the purple I get is worth less than the blues I put into it.

With the added Dilithium cost, my motivation to take that risk will no longer exist. It's unlikely I'll take that gamble ever again.
This is why I only compact when I want to free up roster space. You're not guaranteed to get anything you want. thus I don't bother unless I need room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emperormak View Post
A lot of people seem to think this is a change meant to stop people from abusing the system with a series of compacting/uncompacting.

If that's the case, there's a simpler solution that I'm certain would get a lot less negative feedback. Remove the DOFF splitter. Problem solved.
Yeah, no. that wouldn't reduce negative feedback. The splitter was added BECAUSE OF complaints related to the fact SBs require whites. See? the devs do listen. Sometimes they even do what we ask them to.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 318
10-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Guess Ill add my bit in here too...
I understand the want to monetize something like the Doff system. A LOT of people really like, and a lot of people use it quite a bit. Its already monetized a bit with some missions needing dil, and with a number of Doffs only being available from the opening of lock boxes and special packs. But the current prices on Tribble are a bit of a turn off for me, and seemingly for a lot of other people too. Doffs are all kinds of fun. I love working with them. And adding these prices into the system takes some of the fun out of it. I will no longer go around hunting for supports so I can downgrade the purples into blues and sell them in order to buy the purples I really want... because I will need to grind out a bunch of dill each time I do it. I and I don't really like grinding Dil. I make enough to do what I like to do in game (about 3-5k per day) and thats about it. With this system... I will need to spend more time doing things I dont want to do in order to do part of the things I do want to do. Eventually I will get sick of the constant grind, and just give up on part of what I like doing because its a pain in the bum.

Now again, I understand the want to monetize, and I am honestly surprised that there wasn't a dil fee involved with swapping doffs around right from the get go. But a smaller fee would be much welcome. Like 500dil for downgrading a purple. That I would have no problem with. So, hopefully the prices do change. I don't like it as is, it will ruin my fun. And games are supposed to be fun!
Captain
# 319
10-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Okay i've calmed down a bit so if i seemed a bit high strung earlier sorry everyone.

1. The thing with the doffing system being usless without the blues/purples is that without them crits are pretty poor to non-existant and Failure/Disater is far more common. When my average reward is a couple of thousand EC and 30-40 Dilithium for an hour or mores work per toon i do it on running down the best assignemts/finding enough to fill all 20 slots it's just not worth the time i put into it. Do the contraband turn in's nd KDF contraband asignments and then forget the rest of the system exists. this was the state i was in before i discovered the grinders. It's a nice unique system,. but when i get nothing out of it it's nowhere near fun enough to run for the sake of it. I don't have the time for that. Like i said, i have a life to live, so do a large percentage of the player base. We have to prioraise our time spent in game around what rewards us themost without making us hate the game.

2. This isn't about entitlment or wanting to make doff'ing my core, i do a ton of other stuff when i'm playing seriouslly. But the doffing system is kind of fun in being somthing a bit unique and in being a nice easy way t get some rewards for a small time investment. It's somting else that i can spend a bit of time runing about setting up, then leave running in the background confident of somthing out of it at the end, and when i know there's a good chance of a decent reward it's fun to open the log at the start of each day and look at the 15+ completed assignments to see whats giving me the good and whats gone wrong.

With these changes we've got a doff system thats demanding so much dilithium to quickly upgrade that you'll spend yeas paying it off. (Assuming assignments with non-crit rewards of 5 dil, crit of 125, 30% crit chance, no failure chance, an 20 a day with a 70 strong roster it would take 7 years to earn back the dilithium). Even if only a small portion of your Doff's came that way it would be ludicrouslly expensive to the point of needing yeas to earn back from normal assignments.

Your seeing the price as resonable but tottally ignoring the reality. Many medium and small fleets, (by far the majority of leets and hence players), are allready dilithium starved and they'e getting a new sink with the embassy. On top of that everyones going to be grindingh the rep system. 160K for full rep in both dosen't sound so bad does it. Now think about the dil cost of all those sets. Even if you get just one space and one ground set at MkXII level your looking at anoter 216K Dilithium. Space weapons are extra on top. Suddenlly your probably over 400K between the systems. Most people will also be getting a lower Mk set on the way up. More dilithium. Fact is most people are going to have to make a fairly simple choice. Run the grinders or run rep and starbases. You've said yourself you don;t consider doff'ing the core of the game so which do you think people will choose.And given that same lack of "core of the game" how many do you think will be willing to grab dil out of the echange for real money for it?

EDIT: There's been about 2 pages of posts overnight and i don;t have time t edit them into my reply, i'll adress them when i get back in from work in a few hours.

Last edited by carl103; 10-23-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Career Officer
# 320
10-23-2012, 03:42 AM
After 33 pages and thousands of views... I think it's time a dev actually responded to this don't you?

Considering the introduction of 3 other new dili sinks I think it's time for a rethink on this nonsensical idea.