Ensign
# 351
10-23-2012, 08:54 PM
What a kick in the jewels. Massive dil upgrade costs, Zen fleet modules for any of the decent retrofits, and now this. Starbases were a perfect opportunity to create a huge EC sink and bring a little health back to the EC economy, but unsurprisingly the whole endeaver was turned into another blatant cash grab instead. It's almost as if Cryptic doesn't want people to play this game at all, just throw money at it. The rampant EC inflation combined with the in your face grind or dollars obstacles everywhere is absolutely trashing the gaming experience.

Gaming is supposed to be fun, not work, and gamers want to feel like valued customers, not cash cows. Push the instant gratification or grinding hell carrot and stick routine too far, and people will just go elsewhere for a leisure experience that's far less obnoxious.
Career Officer
# 352
10-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or post here.

I'm with the "vocal minority" in that I don't approve of the changes to the Doff system currently on Tribble. It becomes difficult to believe that Cryptic would be so openly greedy.

Season 7 brings a personal reputation grind, an Embassy grind in addition to the Starbase grind. But to make things a little less fun, we're going to raise the price of trading in unwanted doffs for a random doff through the roof.

I'm not entirely sure if the change to STF rewards are finalized (the removal of dilithium) or just something omitted for the moment.

Overall I'm seeing less ways to gain dilithium with out using Zen and more ways to spend it. When push comes to shove, I'll simply play something else rather than spend money on dilithium.
Captain
# 353
10-24-2012, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by authurious View Post
Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or post here.

I'm with the "vocal minority" in that I don't approve of the changes to the Doff system currently on Tribble. It becomes difficult to believe that Cryptic would be so openly greedy.

Season 7 brings a personal reputation grind, an Embassy grind in addition to the Starbase grind. But to make things a little less fun, we're going to raise the price of trading in unwanted doffs for a random doff through the roof.

I'm not entirely sure if the change to STF rewards are finalized (the removal of dilithium) or just something omitted for the moment.

Overall I'm seeing less ways to gain dilithium with out using Zen and more ways to spend it. When push comes to shove, I'll simply play something else rather than spend money on dilithium.
I'd say you're in the vocal majority here. The minority doesn't typically get 36 pages into a thread a couple weeks old, and with sentiments almost universally echoed on virtually every chat channel on the game itself.

However, there may be a slowing down of protests, since people feel that there isn't much they can do about it...

...except, of course, not buy it.

Which is the most profound thing of all they can do.
Career Officer
# 354
10-24-2012, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
I'd say you're in the vocal majority here. The minority doesn't typically get 36 pages into a thread a couple weeks old, and with sentiments almost universally echoed on virtually every chat channel on the game itself.

However, there may be a slowing down of protests, since people feel that there isn't much they can do about it...

...except, of course, not buy it.

Which is the most profound thing of all they can do.
Typically when ever a large number of posters are in direct disagreement with the developers about a change being made to the game. The developers dismiss the uproar as merely being a vocal minority.

I was simply making a reference to the fact that any protest we make will be dismissed by cryptic.
Career Officer
# 355
10-24-2012, 05:06 AM
36 pages... and still not a sniff of a reply from a Dev...

Starfleet Veteran
# 356
10-24-2012, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
36 pages... and still not a sniff of a reply from a Dev...

More than likely being told to stay off the forums until they can find a way to silence us.
Formerly: Ally_of_the_Force/Now: A Ticked Off Customer
Member Since 10-2009/Murdered 6-2012
4 Year Veteran, Beta Tester 
NO TO ARC!!!
Rihannsu
# 357
10-24-2012, 05:57 AM
I think there was a standard reply that they're monitoring the situation and feedback. And in all honesty, I don't think everyone there is qualified to say anything more at the moment, as this isn't just a technical or art asset, but rather economic one. As such I believe there's not much to do at the moment aside to show them that this "vocal minority" isn't really that minor, and provide some constructive feedback in this matter.

That said, I honestly believe that of all recent monetizing efforts on their part this one is definitely the worst and is only going to hurt the game and players' efforts.

It's already difficult to obtain new duty officers of specific categories. Even though larger fleets may be doing quite well with their starbases, the smaller ones rely on all the duty officer recruitments and reassignments they can get. The same goes for dilithium, which is becoming more and more difficult to get (contraband nerf, doff dismiss nerf, getting rid of borg salvage) and is required for nearly everything at the moment - even the embassies and reputation system (and still capped at 8000/day). And now on top of all that we're expected to pay substantial amounts of dilithium for a standard doff pack, as well as all the reassignment missions. Especially the latter is a bad idea, as we're already losing 5 officers for only one of higher category, which may not necessarily be worth more on the exchange, not to mention may not be of the department we'd desire (oh how I dread all the Advisors I've got...).

I'll say this - if Cryptic really want's to monetize this aspect of the game, then at least they should remove any random element out of it. We're expected to lose 5 rare officers and 5000 dilithium for one purple? Well, ok, but at least let us pick its department. I don't think that's asking much. That way at least we'd be able to keep supporting our starbases without resorting to lottery. I mean, paying for doffs is (kind of) fine with me, but leave the randomness to lock boxes, not to one of the main gameplay features.
Career Officer
# 358
10-24-2012, 06:20 AM
I'm still hopeful Cryptic will come to some compromise - so any devs reading this here is some constructive suggestions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveks View Post
I'll say this - if Cryptic really want's to monetize this aspect of the game, then at least they should remove any random element out of it. We're expected to lose 5 rare officers and 5000 dilithium for one purple? Well, ok, but at least let us pick its department. I don't think that's asking much. That way at least we'd be able to keep supporting our starbases without resorting to lottery. I mean, paying for doffs is (kind of) fine with me, but leave the randomness to lock boxes, not to one of the main gameplay features.
Indeed -- you can't raise costs from 250 to 5000 dilithium (a factor of 20!) without seriously aggravating the community unless you sweeten the pot by allowing someone to choose the department or specialty. The doff would still be random, either random specialization within a department, or random traits without a specialization, but at least that way doffers are getting something of value to make up for being charged 20 times more.
Fleet holding costs | Accolade Points: 19825 (Fed Engineer), 18465 (KDF Tactical)
Subscribe to Accolade thread | Join channel Accolades | Idea: Mail Revamp
New on STOwiki: Spire projects | STO Timeline | Fed-KDF Disparity | upcoming content
Fed Fleet: Section 31 (level 20) | KDF Fleet: Klingon Intelligence (level 20)
Starfleet Veteran
# 359
10-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrexianhero View Post
...you sweeten the pot by allowing someone to choose the department or specialty.
If I am going to take that much of an upcharge, then I want no randomness whatsoever regarding specialization. I want to be able to buy the EXACT specialization I need - not take a risk that if I need a biochemist out of the medical department, I end up with a doctor.

I don't care which biochemist I get, but for that kind of money, I expect a biochemist and not a doc!
Career Officer
# 360
10-24-2012, 08:43 AM
A better compromise would be to leave the grinders as they are and open up a new dialogue for specific doffs that does cost dili.

Either way I don't think we should compromise on this issue at all. Chances are they will just ignore us anyways.