Career Officer
# 21
10-19-2012, 10:24 AM
While we're looking at ways to improve STF sets, can we look at swapping out [plasma] resist for some kind of generic [borg] resist? Since everyone generally uses STF shields in the endgame this makes plasma weaponry very undesirable for PVP and I'd like to see them become an option.
Career Officer
# 22
10-19-2012, 10:37 AM
All of this wouldnt be needed if we simply left the Borg set as-is...out of all the changes the game needs, I am boggled why time and manpower was dedicated to something not even asked for....

That said, the buffs proposed are a decent start, but far too little. They are also meaningless unless the other sets (Aegis, Breen, Jem and the utterly useless Reman) gets buffs as well. (Aegis has been needing one forever.
Career Officer
# 23
10-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Yesterday, we performed another tuning pass on the set bonuses associated with these high-end sets. The changes we settled on are conservative (mostly), but we think that players will enjoy the increase in effectiveness that all of these powers will receive. Here are the details of what should show up on Tribble soon:
This is great news, thank you.

Quote:
MACO:

2-Piece -
* For the time being, we've chosen to not increase the cooldown reduction offered by this bonus. Because it impacts too many different cooldowns, making it larger than 5% can lead to some scaling issues. Instead, we're looking at possibly adding another passive effect alongside it, and would welcome suggestions.
I can understand how it would be problematic.

I can think of quite a few suggestions - but I think if you have the time and are willing to share, laying out what the design intent for each specific set was would probably help us come up with some ideas.

Quote:
3-Piece -
* We've chosen to not increase the damage dealt by this ability, as it was never intended for the damage component to be its primary source of utility.
* Knockback has been increased.
* Added Engines Offline and Weapons Offline effects, to go alongside the existing Aux Offline.
I like the idea of it as a control/utility power.

That being said, I'm not convinced it needs more knockback if it's getting Engines/Weapons Offline effects (you don't want to push a disabled target out of range).

I can't check in game, and I've not used this power in over 8 months, STO wiki lists -31 Aux to Self, and -speed/-turn to target. So does this actually have an Aux offline component?

Also, any chance to reduce the cooldown? 120s perhaps?

Quote:
OMEGA:

2-Piece -
* No changes for the time being, but we're looking into it.
* One problem with the current Tetryon Glider is that it drains all four facings simultaneously. We're considering changing it to only drain the facing that is hit, which would allow us to also increase the magnitude of the effect a bit.
I'll wait to see what you come up with.

Quote:
3-Piece -
* We're increasing the speed of the projectile by a large amount.
* Many have asked for the Kinetic Debuff and Defense Debuff magnitudes to swap places, but that's unlikely to occur. Keep in mind that enemy NPCs have an innate Defense value that is not based on their speed alone. Debuffing that, even all the way into negative figures, allows any innate Accuracy you may possess to spill over into Crit bonuses at a higher rate. Also, this is effectively a full-team buff. We believe the magnitude of the effects scale well enough in a team setting that increasing them would be a bad idea.
I look forward to testing out the new travel speed.

I'll test when I get a chance using ACC DHCs, Accurate captain and 9 ranks in Starship Targeting and get back to you.

Something to keep in mind that the [Borg] guns, the most likely ones people are using on STFs, only have 1 ACC modifier.

Do you think that will realistically create enough overflow in a 10s span to justify this for theaverage user on a 3 minute cooldown?

I understand your point on scaling the magnitude of the effect, I think with it's cooldown, limited duration and limitation to kinetic damage it's still significantly weaker than just Attack Pattern Beta 1 (yes, I recognize they can stack, but my concern is the incentive to slot 3 piece omega vs. 2 piece omega and MACO shield for example).

Rather than increase the magnitude then, are you open to the ideas of:

> Reducing cooldown to 90s or 120s

OR

> Increasing duration to 20s or 30s

Quote:
KHG:
Quote:

2-Piece -
* We haven't reviewed the data on this one yet, but also haven't heard many complaints about it, if any. It may be fine as-is.
It's decent, a bit niche, but still decent - I'd like to see mines also encompassed by this.

Quote:
3-Piece -
* This power wasn't quite functioning in a way that we wanted it to, and so portions of it have been rebuilt. We're still not completely sure that it's up to snuff, and are definitely keeping an eye on it.
* It is now more like an AOE Enhanced Battle Cloak, but also allows Energy Weapons to be fired. If you are under the effects of the Mask Energy Field, and fire a weapon, you will be revealed for a couple seconds before the effect takes hold again. Unlike an EBC, your shields stay active while stealthed.
* The effect lasts 30 seconds and has a recharge of 120 seconds, allowing for frequent up-time.
* Even if the stealth effect is not active on you (because you are firing weapons, or are being fired upon), you will still benefit from the +Defense bonus it offers.
I'll wait to test the changes then.

Quote:
ALL SETS:

We were planning to surprise folks with this news when we released the Omega Reputation, but in the interest of the ongoing balance discussions, I'll go ahead and let the cat out of the bag...

We've decided to introduce cross-faction sets. But, let me clarify...

Upon reach Tier 5 in Omega Reputation, players will now unlock the ability to earn an "Adapted" version of their faction's Ground and Space Sets, each of which confer the exact same stats as their counterpart. In other words, the Adapted MACO Space Set will have the exact same stats and effects as the existing Klingon Honor Guard Space Set, while maintaining the cosmetic appearance of the MACO set.

The Adapted Ground Sets will actually have a new costume attached to them that has not yet been released. Another variant of the existing MACO and KHG armors. And again, just to be clear, this does not mean you'll see Federation players wearing Klingon outfits and vice versa - they will still appear cosmetically as the appropriate faction, and simply possess the stats & bonuses of the opposite faction.

This move is being done in order to bring some parity to the faction-specific sets. Hopefully allowing all players to have access to the effects of all of the sets will allow for more universal feedback and a more balanced gameplay experience.

Really interesting news.

So I guess nothing stands in the way of Feds getting Plasmonic leech in an upcoming lockbox at this point then, if KDF will have access to the MACO shield.

Career Officer
# 24
10-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
There was nothing wrong with how things were and if anything, once again you're giving people less reason to play KDF.
KDF are about to have Plasmonic Leech AND the MACO shield, the thing that has seen no end of rant threads based on the mere rumor this might go to Feds and you managed to see this as less reason to play the KDF?

I think if the devs suddenly said they were going to put Gal-X type disruptor lances on every single KDF ship and in return give the feds 2 ships with battle cloaks you'd still see rant threads on losing KDF uniqueness.

Empire Veteran
# 25
10-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
We've decided to introduce cross-faction sets. But, let me clarify...
Wasn't your boss saying in earlier interviews that he was willing to keep factions specificities so that players were willing to give a try to the opposite side? Did this proof of goodwill given to the KDF just vanished? Why not working on different sets? It doesn't look like a balance issue but rather like a cutting costs one.
Captain
# 26
10-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Maco set
2-piece - The cooldown bonus is fine, but the power insulator buff could certainly do with an increase, say to +36 to +54. As it stands you'd get a better bonus from picking a different deflector.

KHG
3-piece - Something that is effectively an AOE enhanced battle cloak sounds ridiculously overpowered. That's vastly better then the MACOs weak few seconds disable.

As for cross faction sets, I'm not sure. One of the benefits of FvF is that we don't face a shield that casts jam sensors on us.
Previously Alendiak
Daizen - Lvl 50 Engineer - Fleet Avenger
Selia - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Avenger
Toval - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Mogai

Last edited by orondis; 10-19-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Captain
# 27
10-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Wasn't your boss saying in earlier interviews that he was willing to keep factions specificities so that players were willing to give a try to the opposite side? Did this proof of goodwill given to the KDF just vanished? Why not working on different sets? It doesn't look like a balance issue but rather like a cutting costs one.
I was earlier posting in a thread from a Klingon player complaining that because they didn't have access to the MACO sets, they had much less choice to go above Warp 10 in sector space, and they didn't want to have to carry a second engine (ie: Borg engine) just for out of combat travel.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Career Officer
# 28
10-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
MACO:

2-Piece -
* For the time being, we've chosen to not increase the cooldown reduction offered by this bonus. Because it impacts too many different cooldowns, making it larger than 5% can lead to some scaling issues. Instead, we're looking at possibly adding another passive effect alongside it, and would welcome suggestions.
It might seem weak, but this set's shtick is power, right? So how about adding a sizable bonus to the EPS or Warp Core Potential skills (or both)?
Quote:
Upon reach Tier 5 in Omega Reputation, players will now unlock the ability to earn an "Adapted" version of their faction's Ground and Space Sets, each of which confer the exact same stats as their counterpart. In other words, the Adapted MACO Space Set will have the exact same stats and effects as the existing Klingon Honor Guard Space Set, while maintaining the cosmetic appearance of the MACO set.

The Adapted Ground Sets will actually have a new costume attached to them that has not yet been released. Another variant of the existing MACO and KHG armors. And again, just to be clear, this does not mean you'll see Federation players wearing Klingon outfits and vice versa - they will still appear cosmetically as the appropriate faction, and simply possess the stats & bonuses of the opposite faction.

This move is being done in order to bring some parity to the faction-specific sets. Hopefully allowing all players to have access to the effects of all of the sets will allow for more universal feedback and a more balanced gameplay experience.
I like this. My KDF Tactical is sorely lacking in the shield heal department, and I love to get that MACO shield heal.

Last edited by atatassault; 10-19-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Career Officer
# 29
10-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orondis View Post
Maco set
KHG
3-piece - Something that is effectively an AOE enhanced battle cloak sounds ridiculously overpowered. That's vastly better then the MACOs weak few seconds disable.
That's a pretty good point with regard to the scale of power between the different sets.

I agree that if the KHG 3rd tier is effectively some sort of 30s AoE Enhanced Battlecloak that the MACO and Omega powers look woefully underpowered in the face of something like that.

Especially with the comparitive uptimes.

30s duration with 120s cooldown vs. two powers on 180s cooldowns that last at best 10s.

Captain
# 30
10-19-2012, 12:03 PM
As for another MACO set passive, the MACO set seems to be focused on being optimised finely tuned fed equipment (specifically power generation wise) so I've been trying to think along those lines.

Idea 1 - Improved targeting array - Sort of like sensor analysis but only works with energy weapons and is only half as effective. Has diminishing returns when used on a ship that has sensor analysis. Not a big fan of this idea.

Idea 2 - Next-gen Warp Core - Effects are akin to a green or blue warp core doff. This is personally my fave as a passive, being helpful in both PvP and PvE but not being overpowered. If it was possible a Mk X set would give a common warp core passive bonus, Mk XI green and Mk XII blue. The biggest problem is getting it to work with the warp core doff without being overpowered. In that case maybe have the passive so it's just the same as a green warpcore doff.

Idea 3 - Redundant systems - repairs a disabled subsystem with a 3 minute cooldown. Rather useful for PvPers but not really useful for PvEers.

Idea 4 - Subnucelonic resistance - Like redundant systems but with SNB's. Again great for PvPers, not so great for PvEers outside of fighting the Breen, Dominion and Hirogen. Not much use for fighting Borg or Tholians.

Idea 5 - Next-gen Warp Core (mk 2) - A Boring +36 warp core potential (the reason this is so high is that you'll hardly see a difference).

Idea 6 - Combat Impulse Engine conversion - At low engine power settings the engines (combat/impulse or hyper) receive +5 to +10 extra power or just a buff in speed depending on which works best. Second favourite after idea 2.

Idea 6b - Same as above but focused on turnrate, with low engine power settings giving it a buff. This would also help address some fed players concerns about the low turnrate on fed cruisers.
Previously Alendiak
Daizen - Lvl 50 Engineer - Fleet Avenger
Selia - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Avenger
Toval - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Mogai