Captain
# 1 Ground Survival
08-12-2013, 08:58 PM
What are the tricks to surviving ground combat, especially as a tac captain?

In space nothing can touch me unless I make a series of compounding mistakes. On the ground I just die constantly. Colony Invasion, some overly-aggressive moron aggros two groups at once, I die. Romulan campaign missions, a Science Subcommander (to say nothing of full Commanders) shows up and hits me with their splitbeam rifle and my shields vanish in one shot, or pops hyperonic radiation and I can just watch my health tick down unable to do anything about it till I die (wish mine was that effective), despite two boffs with medical tricorders (and hopefully one of them will use it correctly). I just ran through the New Romulus Mountain Pass mission again, and pathetically died 3 times finishing that mission. Tholian Captains its just a constant get a few shots, TPK, respawn, few more shots, TPK again, repeat. I can kill him by getting him caught in geometry and cheating the AI, but obviously thats now how I was intended to beat him. Nukara I get surrounded by a couple of lieutenants and thats it. And so on, and so forth. It is absolutely pathetic.

What is the trick to ground combat? I crouch but then I'm an easy target for grenades and melee attacks. Moving and cover do no good because shots automatically hit anyways. I can't do shooter mode because I'm a lousy shot. I don't bother with hypos because I don't like wasting money on consumables, and 300hp with a 15 second cooldown doesn't do much when I'm taking 300 damage a shot anyways. So what DO I need to do to have the kind of control on the ground that I do when in space?
Career Officer
# 2
08-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
What is the trick to ground combat? I crouch but then I'm an easy target for grenades and melee attacks. Moving and cover do no good because shots automatically hit anyways. I can't do shooter mode because I'm a lousy shot. I don't bother with hypos because I don't like wasting money on consumables, and 300hp with a 15 second cooldown doesn't do much when I'm taking 300 damage a shot anyways. So what DO I need to do to have the kind of control on the ground that I do when in space?
1) Know when to crouch and when not to crouch.

2) Cover does help. A lot.

3) Hypos are critical. Large hypos are cheap if you do any kind of regular space conent. At the least buy stacks of medium hypos - or just expect to die a lot.

4) Fire Team Kit: Use this kit. Also use Suppressing Fire as often as possible.

5) Kill stuff faster, if it's dead it can't shoot you.

Seriously, buy hypos.

How many heals does your ship have in space?
How many heals does your Tac have on the ground?

Buy hypos.
Captain
# 3
08-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Quote:
I don't bother with hypos because I don't like wasting money on consumables

Well there's your problem. The only people who don't have to "bother" with hypos are medics wearing KHG set because they're already swimming in heals.

Other major things... Know your kit and class. No really. Back when I was a scrub, I always forgot that my engineer has an "emergency power to personal shield" ability. It is a massive thing. Know exactly what your class and kit abilities actually do and what they provide, and get in the habit of using everything you've got. If you're dying with abilities that aren't on cooldown, you're doing it wrong.

Learn how to wall-peep against the AI. What this means: Most NPCs have a short delay between the time they see you and the time they can execute an attack, while they raise or charge a weapon. You do not have this limitation.

Don't forget that your shields recharge. This seems silly. But there's a tendency among players to focus on their target until it's dead. If you duck out of fire for 3 seconds, you get your shield back, which is a couple hundred points of damage that you're not taking.

Learn how to down your targets faster. Dead enemies don't shoot back. Use expose and exploit mechanics. Always aim at your target. Prioritize targets to get rid of the most amount of incoming damage as quickly as possible. Memorize which abilities interact with shields and which don't; it's inefficient to throw photon grenades at targets with their shield up unless you can kill them with the bleed damage.

Uhm. Yeah. Hope that helps some.

Oh, addendum: Don't be shy about trying new weapons. Some enemies should be engaged in melee because they die faster (insane shielding on borg) or because they can be knocked around which interrupts their attacks. Some enemies die in droves to pulsewaves, other times you need the flexible midrange performance of an auto rifle + pistol combo. Try different weapons in different situations and don't get hung up on your favorite. Carry spares in your personal inventory so you can adapt.

Last edited by momaw; 08-12-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Captain
# 4
08-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Even if I spend the money on hypos, what good that does that do me when they're hitting me for silly amounts of damage? Like I did Installation 18 yesterday, and the Rom Commander at the end was hitting me for over 400 a shot (with a [dis] shield), and fires two shots at a time. Even with a large hypo, first pair of shots hurt me lots, then hypo, then second pair kills me anyways? To say nothing of the Tholian Captain. Eng at least I can use Weapons Malfunction or Cover Shield or the shield heal (if it activates; so often mash the keys but it never functions). Sci I use the Medic kit. But Tac I feel like I'm playing as a zergling. What is there for damage reduction when you're a tac?
Republic Veteran
# 5
08-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Use Polaron Weapons.

In addition: When doing missions with your ground crew use a dedicated healer (Sci BO with MT1, MT2, VR2, NHM1)
Captain
# 6
08-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Run in circles around the enemy.

EDIT:
By the way, what type of officers do you take and skills on them?
Empire Veteran
# 7
08-13-2013, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Even if I spend the money on hypos, what good that does that do me when they're hitting me for silly amounts of damage? Like I did Installation 18 yesterday, and the Rom Commander at the end was hitting me for over 400 a shot (with a [dis] shield), and fires two shots at a time. Even with a large hypo, first pair of shots hurt me lots, then hypo, then second pair kills me anyways? To say nothing of the Tholian Captain. Eng at least I can use Weapons Malfunction or Cover Shield or the shield heal (if it activates; so often mash the keys but it never functions). Sci I use the Medic kit. But Tac I feel like I'm playing as a zergling. What is there for damage reduction when you're a tac?
If you are Klingon get the Honor Guard set and if you are Fed get the MACO set or the adapted version of the same if you so choose. These two sets give you a lot of protection and heals to start with.

Put some points into your armor and personal shield generator in your ground skills.

Suppressive Fire lowers the amount of damage being dealt to you which is nice.

Overwatch also reduces the amount of damage you take and Rally Cry makes everyone kill faster and heal a little bit.

Let your Security teams take aggro for you. Summon them, let them run in, and attack the enemy while they are busy with them.

Get a pet or two to increase the amount of spam. A Good Horta (especially the blue one for this purpose) can work nicely. Your Tactical Readiness lowers the Cooldown on this.

Shard of Possibilities... Nuff said.

Get a good Tribble. At bare minimum get a Triolic Tribble because every little bit helps.

Having a Large Hypo IS handy. It buys you a few more seconds to either A) Kill the guy trying to kill you or B) Get behind cover so they cannot shoot you anymore. Also using a Nurse (I believe) or Medic DOFF can make a medic beam down when you use these and that guy will save your butt with heals a lot of times.

Don't forget to use Fire on my Mark on hard targets as it makes it a LOT easier to kill them.

The Tholian Captain is a nightmare... My best suggestion is to let your minions fight him and stay far enough back to be able to run for cover anytime he is going to fire his big blast because it is almost ALWAYS 100% Lethal and Unavoidable... Seriously... He is OP.
Career Officer
# 8
08-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Even if I spend the money on hypos, what good that does that do me when they're hitting me for silly amounts of damage? Like I did Installation 18 yesterday, and the Rom Commander at the end was hitting me for over 400 a shot
Ok so you are talking solo?

Your BOFFs are your cannon fodder, and they are also part of your heals/weapons.

I hate slow combat, but if you're having a hard time you can load up on Engineers with turrets/mines/forcields, set up a kill zone and dragging enemies to it.

I hate that, it's really slow.

What I do is take two SCIs with 3x or 4x heals and usually something like tricorder scan or anesthetize gas.

1 Eng with a bunch of shield heals and maybe 1 or two enemy neutralization power.

1 optional, but I usually take a Tac boff and use them to start fights with their grenades. Give them protective powers like suppressing fire and overwatch.

Arm all of them with Split Beams, because the AoE attack auto-hits 3 targets and requires 0 brain power to aim.

You on the other hand, should be using a pulsewave. Send your boffs in to pull and then flank from the side/rear stacking as many buffs & CrtH% as possible into one massive AoE attack.
Captain
# 9
08-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
Arm all of them with Split Beams, because the AoE attack auto-hits 3 targets and requires 0 brain power to aim.

You on the other hand, should be using a pulsewave. Send your boffs in to pull and then flank from the side/rear stacking as many buffs & CrtH% as possible into one massive AoE attack.
Like I mentioned earlier, this also makes expose/exploit work for you. Pulsewave's secondary has a chance to expose, and split beam's secondary is an exploit. If people are serious about ground combat they should not overlook E/E mechanics.
Captain
# 10
08-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Well my exact layout varies toon to toon, but the general idea is that there's always my captain plus

a tac 'bodyguard' with battle strategies, suppressing fire, overwatch, and a grenade
a sci medic with med tricorder, vascular regen, and nanite health monitor
an eng with weapons malfunction, shield healing, then usually a turret and med generator

The 4th slot varies a bunch depending on the captain, trying to be specifically complimentary to my own innate abilities and take advantage of my skill bonuses. Sometimes sci AOE stuff (Satra on Rom chars) but with an extra med tricorder, sometimes an extra tac geared for melee, sometimes an eng with stuff like Quick Fix and Support Drone if I'm using some kind of Fabrication kit, and so on. Normal gearing is compression pistols or split-beam rifles, since my own loadout is usually the Jem Hadar full-auto rifle plus a pulsewave of some sort.

Unfortunately my BOFFs aren't smart enough to save their powers for worthwhile targets, while the enemy AI seems smart enough to know to focus-fire on me and ignore everything else, not to mention that as HP sponges the enemies simply charge up the middle, regardless of how much damage you drop into them, and surround you, with your own auto-targeting of course following and turning your back to everyone else. But if I go to shooter mode I'm a terrible shot and I just can't use mouseaim and hotkeys simultaneously, so its time wasted cycling targets via Tab. It just seems like the bad guys don't have the same AI and power limitations that my 'helpers' do, as I do so much better on missions where I'm running alone.

Yeah I'm clearly just complaining at this point. I don't like being so vulnerable, having so little control of the situation, and having to try and micromanage 5 characters at once. Is it possible to have the same sort of durability and situational control in ground combat as you do in a starship with cycling EPTS and the ability to activate 3-4 powers at a time and respawning is reserved for significant compounding mistakes? Or am I trying to control a situation thats always going to be fast-moving and chaotic?

So yeah, part of it is just griping, but part is really asking 'what general tactics are applicable to any character to enhance survivability and situational control?'

Last edited by reginamala78; 08-14-2013 at 01:00 AM.