Captain
# 31
10-19-2012, 08:45 PM
If you want to reign in dil grinding, make contraband bind on character. Everything else you've proposed just hurts the casuals more than the crazy people with 10 alts on a game with 3 careers, 2 factions, and BoP gear.

There is something terribly wrong about being able to buy contraband openly on a Starfleet exchange.

The majority of your players are f2p casuals, like it or not. We don't want to have to make buy slots and then level 10 alts just to survive in this system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Empire Veteran
# 32
10-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaku View Post
TL;DR: You have a valid point, but the degree of anger being expressed (I'm not trying to single you out here - there are a lot of angry posts in this thread) seems to be an exercise in hyperbole. Us long-term players are facing a short-term and temporary annoyance in exchange for a system that appears to be a material improvement over the current STF grind.
I gotta go along with this

You all have a point, and I understand what you're feeling and why you're feeling it... but it seems like you're blowing things out of proportion, or just letting your feelings cloud your judgement, to some degree.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Lieutenant
# 33
10-19-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm just glad you will still have to work to acquire these sets.

The real shame would be if everything in STO was for sale.

As for MK XII, the harder they are to get the more they are worth having.
Career Officer
# 34
10-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
I gotta go along with this

You all have a point, and I understand what you're feeling and why you're feeling it... but it seems like you're blowing things out of proportion, or just letting your feelings cloud your judgement, to some degree.
It's not just this once.

It's that Cryptic seems to adopt policies every time that bite early adopters.

Screw that and screw the Apple hardware analogies for how to treat early adopters. Apple's not the model to follow and if they were, Cryptic should be working on a Mac port of STO. :-P

(Apple also are masters of feng shui luxury that soothes the pain for how miserably they treat early adopters. You want me to be satisfied when early adopters get stiffed for new customers, then the unboxing of your products ought to feel like a Japanese tea ceremony the way Apple's do and you should have a reputation for product stability like Apple does.)
Career Officer
# 35
10-19-2012, 09:53 PM
On the subject of "You have to unlock Mk X gear first" if it functions like the Starbase system which it is clearly modeled after you don't have to unlock Mk X gear. You just unlock the option to get the Mk X gear. You can totally skip it and keep building your reputation until you get to Tier V and your Mk XII gear. Just like with Starbases you don't actually have to stop and run provisioning projects once you unlock the option and can burn straight through to the next tier without enjoying any of the benefits unlocking that tier brought.
Career Officer
# 36
10-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canis36 View Post
On the subject of "You have to unlock Mk X gear first" if it functions like the Starbase system which it is clearly modeled after you don't have to unlock Mk X gear. You just unlock the option to get the Mk X gear. You can totally skip it and keep building your reputation until you get to Tier V and your Mk XII gear. Just like with Starbases you don't actually have to stop and run provisioning projects once you unlock the option and can burn straight through to the next tier without enjoying any of the benefits unlocking that tier brought.
Again, what happens if you have 1/3rd or 2/3rds Mark X or XI or XII?

Your progress is reset. What you were close to is now behind a gate.
Captain
# 37
10-19-2012, 10:13 PM
So we pay a fee to go inside the new STF store
Then
We grind away to unlock the ability to purchase
The elite Maco and omega and Kdf gear
A lot of us already own

To get a updated version of our current gear
Don't we get a refund on our current gear we
Had to grind for ?

The current kits and weapons are unchanged ?

I will buy some weapons I may want to have onhand
Seems like it may be months of grinding before I can
Get any once this this this new thing goes live

I have a better idea

Keep your new system on tribble for a year or two
To refine it and work out all the bugs no one is rushing
You here , sounds like it needs a lot of time consuming
Testing on cryptics part on tribble not live
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Empire Veteran
# 38
10-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
That's just for the set pieces which are definitely a cut above the rest.

More standard items, such as the Romulan Plasma weaponry you can unlock via the Romulan Reputation, currently cost 14,205 each for Mk XII.
So roughly its around the same as everything else except cheaper on how you look at it. As well it sounds like you can just go and deck out your fake romulans with this gear
Lt. Commander
# 39
10-19-2012, 11:11 PM
2 words crytpic. UP YOURS!

Biggest mistake you could ever make, EVER, ive always stood by this game, but im considering leaving with this crap, i have 12 toons, now im going to have to re-start grinding from the begining. MMO's are supposed to support multiple toons, instead you guys want us to have one, and do the same crap every day. Learn from other mmo's, because your getting it wrong, all your going to do is get some money then see players drop the game because of this constant grind, re grind, re-grind, then 4 months later change the system so they have to grind it again and again. Its old. Stop fixing crap that is NOT broken. But all this is is a cash grab now isnt it . Truthfully i know its not yoru falt, its perfect fails fault, no wonder so many have been leaving cryptic to other companies, if my morals were breached like this i wouldnt stay either.
Captain
# 40
10-20-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm not exactly sure what the final word on these things will be, and i won't guess until it's out on holodeck, but at the same time a lot of what i'm reading from the devs (and a lot of rumors on the forums) i worry about this new system. It really does seem like it's just adding additional grinds that we didn't need and in turn killing alts since people are already burning out with the current grind.

Also i worry that by monetizing more of the game you really have lost what one of the points of Star Trek really is. I understand F2P means you need to get creative in terms of making money, but the game really seems to not be getting much out of the income other than another quick cash grab. There really isn't a whole lot that makes the game fun once you've been in it for so long. There definitely needs to be more quality than quantity and if things keep progressing as it is, i worry it will kill the game.