Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 116
# 21
10-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Fleet Marks are rewarded by Fleet Content.
Romulan Marks are rewarded by Romulan Content.
Omega Marks are rewarded by Borg Content.

The only one of these that leaves wiggle room as a possible PvP reward is Fleet Marks, and that continues to be a topic of discussion. But it's a topic with relatively low priority when we're all running around trying to get Season 7 out the door on time.

Would it help at all if I mentioned that we've been kicking concepts for a possible PvP Reputation track?
Now everyone knows I do not PvP, so my thoughts here are based on commonsense as opposed to any understanding of what the PvP community "Needs"... But I'll spout off anyway...

A PvP Reputation seems like a no-brainer to me. After all, it IS part of the game, and probably much more relevant in some ways than Reputation with individual NPC factions. Nothing against the NPC Faction-reps mind you, I like them.

Now one (of I am sure many technical issues) would probably be the fact that no PvP gear exists at this point, but I hope the idea does not rest exclusively with Set-development.

There is however, quite a number of other gear (set) types. So what if, while waiting to implement a set of PvP-specific equipment, you made PvP Marks "Generic" meaning they could be used as Fleet Marks, Omega (likely regular not elite) or Romulan Marks?

Or, better still, perhaps simply give the players an option of selecting the Mark type of choice? Possibly expand that to Bonus Dilithium as well? Just like a regular mission might offer a choice of a piece of gear or other rewards. Heck, give'em an option for a Lobi or two...

Anyway, this could be a stop-gap until PvP-specific sets could be made. Now, I have no idea what the tech would be like to do that, but it occurred to me so I thought I'd toss it out there.

Next, is the biggie... The actual progression itself. Seeing as the above would be a place-holder temp solution, it kind of takes care of PvP progression as well, because players could actually put their Reputation points where they want them, thus progressing a given metric--but via the time they spend PvPing...

No where near perfect, and only a temp solution, but at least PvPers would be getting "Something" for their time and could make PvP more attractive because it would offer the most flexible content in the game for collecting Marks of whatever type.

Again, not a PvPer, so I have no real perspective on this, just sharing an idea. Though I don't think discussing any idea can really hurt PvP at this point... Heh

maj!
Previously: QorDaq
Lt. General, KDF Division Commanding, 12th Fleet
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,354
# 22
10-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qordaq View Post
Now everyone knows I do not PvP, so my thoughts here are based on commonsense as opposed to any understanding of what the PvP community "Needs"... But I'll spout off anyway...

A PvP Reputation seems like a no-brainer to me. After all, it IS part of the game, and probably much more relevant in some ways than Reputation with individual NPC factions. Nothing against the NPC Faction-reps mind you, I like them.

Now one (of I am sure many technical issues) would probably be the fact that no PvP gear exists at this point, but I hope the idea does not rest exclusively with Set-development.

There is however, quite a number of other gear (set) types. So what if, while waiting to implement a set of PvP-specific equipment, you made PvP Marks "Generic" meaning they could be used as Fleet Marks, Omega (likely regular not elite) or Romulan Marks?

Or, better still, perhaps simply give the players an option of selecting the Mark type of choice? Possibly expand that to Bonus Dilithium as well? Just like a regular mission might offer a choice of a piece of gear or other rewards. Heck, give'em an option for a Lobi or two...

Anyway, this could be a stop-gap until PvP-specific sets could be made. Now, I have no idea what the tech would be like to do that, but it occurred to me so I thought I'd toss it out there.

Next, is the biggie... The actual progression itself. Seeing as the above would be a place-holder temp solution, it kind of takes care of PvP progression as well, because players could actually put their Reputation points where they want them, thus progressing a given metric--but via the time they spend PvPing...

No where near perfect, and only a temp solution, but at least PvPers would be getting "Something" for their time and could make PvP more attractive because it would offer the most flexible content in the game for collecting Marks of whatever type.

Again, not a PvPer, so I have no real perspective on this, just sharing an idea. Though I don't think discussing any idea can really hurt PvP at this point... Heh

maj!
Stay out of PVP threads......

Nah, just kidding. Sounds like a solid stop gap to me.....
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 881
# 23
10-19-2012, 06:12 PM
PvP rep system, eh?

Good idea, but it depends on implementation. Anything that adds significant power creep and puts up a barrier to entry into PvP wouldn't be a good thing.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 172
# 24
10-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Someone should update sto wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Online and cross out "pvp"

Season 7: TBA

November, 15th 2012 (Tentative)


Season 7 is expected to bring changes and upgrades to the games underdeveloped Player vs. Player (PvP) system, as well as release one or more new Special Task Force missions to the game. The addition of a new 'Sector Block' along with new story content is expected to be released as well. Other changes that might occur but are not definitive yet are a possible increase to the player level cap allowing players to reach the rank of 'Admiral' or 'Fleet Admiral', as well as farther refinement of the Fleet Starbases and perhaps adding additional 'Fleet Holdings' along with a possible major re-haul of the exploration system of the game.
-------------------------


Future Capt Gecko II Hitlers take on PvP
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 116
# 25
10-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
PvP rep system, eh?

Good idea, but it depends on implementation. Anything that adds significant power creep and puts up a barrier to entry into PvP wouldn't be a good thing.
Reputation unlocks at level 50 (currently) so hopefully folks would cut their teeth earlier. As stated, I don't PvP, but the few times I have (maybe 15 or so total matches since launch not counting Kerrat such as it is), my favorites have been at low-level where the playing field is relatively leveled. Point being, that the high-level unlock of the Rep system is it's own barrier to all similar content. While PvP unlocks early in and of itself.

Regardless, I imagine that any PvP Rep system would follow the existing model of resource dump. In other words, agreed it needs to be well-implemented, but likely would be on par with whatever else was available at the time.

maj!
Previously: QorDaq
Lt. General, KDF Division Commanding, 12th Fleet
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 797
# 26
10-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
PvP rep system, eh?

Good idea, but it depends on implementation. Anything that adds significant power creep and puts up a barrier to entry into PvP wouldn't be a good thing.
the only problem here is that all the pve gear earned has major effects on pvp. so why bother making a pvp teir unless its better then the pve gear? i mean seriosuly, theyve dug themselves a mighty big hole here and it seems theyre solution is to keep digging.


and even if they did try to impliment this itd take how long? i mean the biggest issue here is pvp needs something NOW and they are only talking about what might be done.

the best solution would be to have 1 of 4 choice rewards=

1- major EC reward
2- dilithium reward
3- fleet marks
4- choice of reputation

this would solve almost all the problems with pvp not having rewards.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 973
# 27
10-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Would it help at all if I mentioned that we've been kicking concepts for a possible PvP Reputation track?

It certainly sounds like a nice idea and I'd certainly be enthusiuastic for it, but then we've already got the 8 passives and two active powers from the other reputation tracks.

Hmmm

I know, how about this:-

Each PvP match awards a certain amount of PvP marks and Elite PvP marks (though better named.)

T1:-
Space Vendor
-Green Mk X weapons with ACC mod for one elite PvP mark and about half the dilithium it would be from a vendor.

The elite mark requirement for both weapons and consoles will go up per tier.

T2:-
Space vendor
-Blue Mk X weapons with ACCx2 mod
-Green Mk X consoles

T3
-Purple Mk X weapons with Accx3 mod
-Blue Mk X consoles

PvP set:-
Advanced Automated Defense Turret tactical console (ignores player ships, only targeting mines and targetable projectiles, firing at same fire rate as the normal automated defense turret)

T4
-Purple Mk XI weapons with ACCx3
-Blue Mk XI consoles

PvP set:-
Advanced Power Insulator science console (basically two or three power insulator consoles in one)

T5

Space Vendor
-Purple Mk XII weapons with ACCx3 mod and one extra mod (including CrtX)
-Blue Mk XII consoles (this will mean there will still be a market for purple Mk XII consoles)
-Accolade, title (something like the "Kirks legacy" ) and unlocked hull texture.


PvP device:-
Upgraded fireworks launcher with Disco phaser beam arrays (simply light hearted fluff that doesn't deal damage). All phasers deal 0 damage and act as if they're FAWing. The fact it's T5 means those who get it will likely be longtime PvPers and won't just equip it to grief their team in matches.

PvP set:-
Pinpoint defense system engineering console (increases player damage Vs NPC ships, with damage increasing for NPC ships with more hull with the purpose of being anti-pet -spam. no change vs fighters since they're weak enough already). That however could lead to problems in normal PvE... How about player vs player damage boosts damage to NPC opponents.

As you've probably noticed I didn't make the consoles universal. That should force people to make hard decisions. For example I doubt a Bug captain will want to give up his only science station for the advanced power insulator console.

I've left the ground vendor out of the suggestions due to lack of experience with ground PvP.

As for passive powers, I'd say only about 3 or 4 for space the rest for ground as space is rather chocker at the moment with all the consoles. As for active power, how about a 10 minute cooldown ramming power called "the Hale Maneuver" that can be activated at full health. Similarly, a passive power could boost your warp core explosions. All these would be largely fluff in PvP, but fun fluff rather then headache inducing.

Some suggestions for passive space powers powers:-
*+30 threat control (largely useless vs other players, but should be useful vs pet spam and even be useful in normal PvE.
*+30 Driver Coils (again largely useless inside PvP but useful out of it.
*A buff that's equivalent to a RCS Mk VI common console.
Previously Alendiak
Daizen - Lvl 50 Engineer - Fleet Avenger
Selia - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Avenger
Toval - Lvl 50 Tactical - Fleet Mogai

Last edited by orondis; 10-19-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 668
# 28
10-19-2012, 07:23 PM
I'm 110% against any kind of PvP gear... it is a bad idea in every single game it exists in.

Most MMO companies have been back peddling on PvP gear for the past year... once you go down that road though its done.

It destroys new player pvp uptake... it creates an artificial barrier to PvP.

PvP sets would be a terrible idea... as much as we complain about having to PvE to get sets... I don't want to see PvP Specific sets EVER... as far as earning PvP weapons like (acc)x3 its also a terrible idea. Yes I know accx3 exists in the game and such... still having weapons that are earned by long time pvpers first... will deter new players from entering PvP.

I am not worried about that in STO of course cause I doubt Cryptic ever does anything even close to PvP promotion of any kind ever... I mean they havn't in 3 years why would we think they might start now.

Should they go there though lets all hope they stay away from PvP gear.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,766
# 29
10-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thishorizon View Post
i say f%^k it.
After reading about cross faction sets, I have to agree with what I see under the horizon.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,395
# 30
10-19-2012, 08:35 PM
I have to agree strongly with Husanak. Non-cosmetic PvP gear's a terrible way to take the game and it'll likely kill off the public queues.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 AM.